AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked it up off Ebay($38.00 to my door). Didnt think it was my kind of game when it first came out, but after reading alot about it I got kind of interested. Read alot of "should have been game of the year" comments and how great it was once you got used to it. My problem is I get bored real easily if something is frustrating. Is this game so hard that it gets to be no fun repeatedly attempting to beat the same level, or is it just challenging enough to be great? What are some general opinions?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The game isn't really hard but it is designed to be played thru a few times. The save points are not very convenient so if you are trying to do everything in a single game it doesn't work very well.

Basically you spend the first run thru leveling up your character and then the next carefully following the story. You can also play through to get different edings and upgrades.

I enjoyed getting the Mega Man gun on one play thru and it made the game even more fun.

Then there are some achievements to go for too.

I liked this game, I played through it so many times I actually never want to look at it again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I started playing this game but tired of it quickly. Something about all of the text popping up with no voice acting just seemed really lame for a next gen game. Having read all the game of the year buzz I kind of want to go back and see what I was missing.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I think its ok for short periods of time if you just feel like beating down some zombies but as that is pretty much all you are doing it does get boring and repetative quickely. Wouldnt mind having it on the shelf for the occasional mindless game but I am happy I will not pay full price for it.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I got bored with the demo so I didn't buy the game.

On the other hand, the demo for Test Drive Unlimited convinced me to buy a title I would never have given a 2nd look.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrbb /forum/post/0

I started playing this game but tired of it quickly. Something about all of the text popping up with no voice acting just seemed really lame for a next gen game. Having read all the game of the year buzz I kind of want to go back and see what I was missing.

Maybe Im confusing this with another game review, but I thought I read about how good the voice acting was in this game.????

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
An awesome game, full of cool details and fun thiings to do but with the most stupid save system and forced objectives plot structure I have ever seen.

You try and complete certain secondary objectives before heading to the main quest, only to fail and then start over again. And just as you think you've made some progress and decide to save, you realize that you didn't leave enough time to get to the forced objective location and with your only save used up, the only way to continue is to start over from scratch ...

·
Registered
14,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro5.56 /forum/post/0

Maybe Im confusing this with another game review, but I thought I read about how good the voice acting was in this game.????

only for cut scenes, the NPC dialog in-game is all text. Which is pretty lame. Except for the guy who keeps calling you on the phone. It's probably a good thing you never hear his voice.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro5.56 /forum/post/0

Someone correct me if I'm wrong b/c it's been a while since I've played the game. There is voice acting in the cut scense and I think some of the in-game stuff, but I think there are also quite a few instances where there is text and no voice in-game. When I was playing I kept wondering if it was a glitch and the voices somehow got turned off b/c it felt so out of place for a game made in the last 5 years.

·
Registered
27 Posts
One part I can't stand is all the cut scenes. It seems like they come every minute! "Hey you killed a zombie! Let's go to a cut scene."

I think the control system sucks, too. It starts like any dual stick game. Left stick moves forward and back and strafes. Right stick looks around (sides, up, down). Then, when you pick up a gun and try to aim down the sights, it switches the look stick to the left joystick. Why do that? I got killed countless times because I was trying to aim with the original "look" stick (imagine that). Not a worthy game in my opinion.

I put it away after playing it once.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Krypton /forum/post/0

The game isn't really hard but it is designed to be played thru a few times. The save points are not very convenient so if you are trying to do everything in a single game it doesn't work very well.

Basically you spend the first run thru leveling up your character and then the next carefully following the story. You can also play through to get different edings and upgrades.

What he said pretty much sums up exactly how I feel about Dead Rising. Kudos, DK.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
My feeling is that it's a pretty decent title overall, but yes, there are a lot of annoyances in the game. Plus there's some major bug that manifests for some percentage of people involving the game just sort of hanging at various load points... Nothing to do with the media itself (i.e. replacing the copy of the game doesn't help), rather it seems to be some sort of data corruption glitch in the game, possibly with bad data getting cached on the hard drive.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm also expecting this at my door any day now. So what's the best way to avoid the stress this bad game design creates for the player? Should I only complete the main objectives?

So I should work on leveling up my character first?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croberto /forum/post/0

I'm also expecting this at my door any day now. So what's the best way to avoid the stress this bad game design creates for the player? Should I only complete the main objectives?

So I should work on leveling up my character first?

Go thru the game initially from a casual approach. It's somewhat non-linear if you aren't about following the story. As you do things in the game your character will level up allowing you to increase your life meter which will help when you get serious about completing the game.

Just go around the mall learning the layout and experiment.

·
Registered
494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Krypton /forum/post/0

Go thru the game initially from a casual approach. It's somewhat non-linear if you aren't about following the story. As you do things in the game your character will level up allowing you to increase your life meter which will help when you get serious about completing the game.

Just go around the mall learning the layout and experiment.

What about time running out? Don't you only get 72 hours?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Yes, and in fact if you miss certain key objectives at certain times, the game ends. Hence, I believe the approach advocated above is that you should play a little bit to level up and get the feel of the game, and *then* start over using your slightly-leveled up character in an effort to actually try and complete it. This may make things a little more tolerable than just being thrown into the thick of things initially.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts

Quote:
What about time running out? Don't you only get 72 hours?

As far as the main story, you have to be at certain places at certain times, Otherwise the game is over if the mission is failed to be completed on time. As long as you start every main mission on time you should easily complete it ontime with nothing to worry about. The Key is to not save at a place that will prevent you from getting to where you need to be. Side missions are optional, but you will have plenty of time between a few missions to complete a lot of them. The Key to the side missions is time management with the main mission.

If you have a memory card you can use it as an extra save. I found it very useful.

The reason you would want to play it through a second and third time is to try to complete every side mission along with the main story, which is very difficult to do the first play through, but much easier the next time around because you have a good gauge of how much time it takes to do things not to mention your Character is much more powerful.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Dead Rising can be the most frustrating game ever so long as you pay attention to the quests and tasks you get assigned and treat it like every other game you own (Open, go through training level, then proceed to beat the game).

This game is meant to be played through multiple times with a leveled-up character, some of the goals are impossible without first having an advanced character to tackle the game. The more ass you can kick, the more fun you'll have playing it through a second or third time.

I also agree that you should spend your time first getting the layout of the mall.

I enjoy the little things like "trying to get that perfect picture of an event that wont repeat" like kissing couples or whatever.

And of course, finding new and exciting ways to waste zombies.

·
Registered
32,651 Posts
Man, I am so on the fence on this game. My brohter purchased it and returned it right away. He hated it and really turned me off. I played the demo and found it funny but got worried if it would get boring after awhile. If the weapons changes I think that might help. I want to get it I LOVE ZOMBIE MOVIES. Totally love them. Hate to spend the money on this only to be dissapointed, I'm turn.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've found it a mixed bag.

One the one hand it really captures the zombie movie experience! It's fun to run around and smack zombies and find new ways of destroying them.

On the other hand the save system is a pain in the butt, and it can get really frustrating trying to complete certain missions. At times I just don't want to deal with constantly trying and failing to kill some boss and having to start back at my last save point. I'm not a hard core gamer, so things like that don't appeal to me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.