AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm feeling really despondent. After upgrading my showstopper to an 80 hour unit, I was in heaven. Then we had a god-awful thunderstorm yesterday. I have the unit attached to a surge protector, but maybe it was the phone line, because in the morning, the unit was dead-no noise, no light, nothing. I reopened the unit in hopes it was something easy, but I'm guessing it was the power supply. The fuse appears to be soldered to the board so I can't even try that. I even, in desperation, tried putting in my old hard drive, but to no avail. Now, Panasonic doesn't sell a power supply, and even if it was in warranty, I've opened it up to upgrade. If I send it back to Panasonic, it's a $142.00 flat fee to fix it. I'd like to find an alternative if I could.Does anyone have any ideas or do they know how and where I can replace the power supply?

Thanks

·
Registered
535 Posts
Well it could be power supplu but possibly motherboard, too. So I'd say panasonic service is a best option - since it is a flat fee. By the way - dont forget to keep you rdisk , and reinstall the old one, just in case you'll receive a refurbished different unit back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It could be the board, but I've got no power whatsoever. If I could find a power supply from somewhere, it might be worth the dollars to try it. I just don't know of a source.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Finding a power supply is a problem. Someone about 3 months ago posted looking for a PS and as far as I know it was to no avail. Technically it looks possible to wire in a AT PS that I have as do many PC owners. I figured out what pins were what but it is untested. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=124252

Now that I think about it if you have a volt meter go to the motherboard power connector and measure the voltage according to the pins listed below.

Here is a breakdown of the supply voltage to the motherboard. From rear to front on a showstopper.

pin 1 and each ground = 12v

pin 2 and each ground = 5v

pin 3 and each ground = 5v

pin 4 - ground

pin 5 - ground

pin 6 - brown wire (my guess this wire is only used with OEM PS)

If you have the voltages as described on pins 1 through 5 the power supply and voltage regulator board should be good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I think it would be interesting to know, but as a practical fix, I'm not sure it's worth it. $142.00 to go Back to Panasonic is about 3/4 of what I paid for the unit, but I don't see any other option at this point unless you have some sneaky series of maneuvers to restart the power. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Merrick2
Thanks for the reply. I think it would be interesting to know, but as a practical fix, I'm not sure it's worth it. $142.00 to go Back to Panasonic is about 3/4 of what I paid for the unit, but I don't see any other option at this point unless you have some sneaky series of maneuvers to restart the power. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Measuring the voltages will make your decision easier.

If you do not have voltage at those terminals then at a minimum you need to replace the PS or voltage control board. A problem you may be able to resolve on your own.

On the other hand, if you do have the correct voltages the motherboard is defective and your only chance for repair is with Panasonic.

Best of luck

·
Registered
388 Posts
Scope your voltages and if you get zilch, PM me. I have some pulled power supplies.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Statix
correct me if im wrong,

but cant you sort of rig up

an old AT style computer power supply

to run it?
I would expect an AT PS would work. You would have to splice the wires because the connectors are different. Do some metal work to make it fit and it's untested.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On the related topic of dead showstoppers, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts to help me diagnose a recurring problem I'm having.

My Replaytv unit goes fritzy, flashing blue and green screens and then rebooting. Once it reboots and the Panasonic screen comes up again, the screen flickering happens and the unit tries to reboot again. While the screen flickers, the green power light on the box also flickers. This keeps happening until the unit is shut off. Once the unit has been off for 10 seconds, it can be used again. The problem can return after 40 minutes or 2 hours but it will come back.

This happened on the unit's original hard drive but I've since upgraded the drive to 100 hours. For a few months it looked like the problem got resolved and I assumed there had been some hardware problem with the original HD. But recently the problem returned. It's really annoying, obviously, and I'm not sure that I have any option other than returning the unit to Panasonic service.

I'm hoping someone on this board might have some suggestions on what could be causing this and/or a tip on how to resolve it.

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by habs102
On the related topic of dead showstoppers, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts to help me diagnose a recurring problem I'm having.

My Replaytv unit goes fritzy, flashing blue and green screens and then rebooting. Once it reboots and the Panasonic screen comes up again, the screen flickering happens and the unit tries to reboot again. While the screen flickers, the green power light on the box also flickers. This keeps happening until the unit is shut off. Once the unit has been off for 10 seconds, it can be used again. The problem can return after 40 minutes or 2 hours but it will come back.

This happened on the unit's original hard drive but I've since upgraded the drive to 100 hours. For a few months it looked like the problem got resolved and I assumed there had been some hardware problem with the original HD. But recently the problem returned. It's really annoying, obviously, and I'm not sure that I have any option other than returning the unit to Panasonic service.

I'm hoping someone on this board might have some suggestions on what could be causing this and/or a tip on how to resolve it.

Thanks,

Jon
Is it possible the Showstopper is overheating. The recorder must be kept out in the open with all the vents clear including the ones on top and bottom of the recorder and cool air must be able to freely circulate.

Also if you are capable of measuring the power supply voltage you might want to make sure they are close to normal as described earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
117 Posts
PC power supply should work according to the following post from this forum:

"The power-supply on my Replay 2004 died over a year ago, so I replaced it with a standard PCsupply that is remoted. It takes just +12 and +5 volts, so a 3 wire cable is all that is needed between the supply and the Replay. It has been working just fine ever since, and does run much cooler."

·
Registered
388 Posts
You can probably attach an AT Power supply and feed the voltage back through the HD power connector. What do you guys think? Both the 5V and 12V bus should be connected to those pins. The PS/2 might work but certainly not the ATX power supplies.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
PU82, I ohm checked the motherboard hard drive power connector with the motherboard power supply connector and sure enough got continuity. I went ahead and connected an AT power supply to the motherboard drive power connector and the hard drive(s) and the unit booted up normally. Good thinking!

Note: I removed the power supply voltage controlling board before powering the drive connector so there wouldn't be any reverse flow through the board or to the original PS.

chinoman, Good job finding that info.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by habs102
Don't know if it's related, but the same thing happened to me when I swapped hard drives when the unit was off but still plugged in. The Replay wrote something to the new hard disk that was destined for the old hard disk and completely corrupted the new disk. Reformatting it was the only fix. Maybe watching everything on the Replay and formatting the disk will get you somewhere. Too bad there is no way to backup the contents of the hard drive to your PCs disk. It requires a second blank HD to do it and thats too much trouble usually.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now my curiosity is up. Can I take an old AT power suppy form a 486 machine and attach it to the 2 connectors to the motherboard and the hard drive? Do I have to worry about the right power and blowing out the motherboard? Do I have to do any juryrigging, 'cause I'm not very well versed in soldering and resistances.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
That should work fine. Might not make any difference but I'd rather you removed the circuit board that's between the motherboard and the power supply before powering the 486 PS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mikeyboy,

Do you mean the board that sits straight up between the power supply board and the circuit board, or do you mean the power supply board.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Lift off the vertical board that connects to the motherboard. It can be tough to do. The power connector from the power supply should be removed also from the vertical board but that isn't all that important as long as the vertical board doesn't touch anywhere on the motherboard. This may be overkill but the idea is to isolate the vertical board from the motherboard to prevent the AT PS from supplying voltage back to the vertical board.

I'm not referring to the ribbon or the circuit board that connects to the front of the Showstopper. That needs to stay as is.

All I want is the original power supply to be unplugged from the vertical circuit board and that vertical board to be lifted off the motherboard and stored away. Now there is no contact between the original power supply and the motherboard.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.