AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kinda screwed up the last poll, so here's a shot at a more accurate piece of research. The goal is to look at the various digital projector technologies from a pixel reliability standpoint.

·
Registered
755 Posts
It's tough to draw comparisons with this poll since a 3-chip projector (LCD/LCOS) has three times as many elements as a single chip projector (DLP), and high res projectors have more pixels than low res. An SVGA DLP has 480,000 pixels, XGA DLP has 786,432 and D-ILA has 4,193,280 subpixels!

The more pixels a projector has the more likely it would have one or two stuck ones, but the less likely you would notice them. With a three-chip projector a stuck subpixel only shifts the colour of the pixel rather than knocking it out completely like on a single chip DLP, and on a SXGA+ projector the pixels are so tiny that they're nearly invisible.

It's also important to know if the pixel is stuck "always-on" or "always-off". The always-off ones are generally less noticable than always-on.

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David -

I agree to a large extent, but the bottom line is that many people can and will spot a single pixel error. Powerstrip was causing 1 pixel on my display (Sharp 9000) to stay white form time to time and it drove me up the wall.

At work, we have an XGA Proxima LCD projector and I can spot 3 problem pixels without event trying to.

I still feel the poll is valid and am anxious to see how the number stack up.

- Ryan

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
This is a good poll. :)

BTW. I too have experienced the powerstrip stuck pixel. It only occured with PowerDVD, though, and it was green and at the very bottom left corner. It didn't happen with WinDVD.

Tor Arne

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.