AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Christina Applegate to Star in Netflix Dark Comedy Dead to Me
By Dave Nemetz, TVLine.com - Jul. 11, 2018

Christina Applegate is dying to return to TV: The veteran sitcom actress has signed on to star in the Netflix comedy series Dead to Me, our sister site Deadline is reporting.

Described as “a comedic Big Little Lies,” Dead to Me stars Applegate as Jen, an uptight widow with a dark sense of humor and a few anger-management issues. After her husband dies in a hit-and-run accident, Jen strikes up a friendship with a free spirit who harbors a shocking secret. (It’s not yet clear if we should take the term “free spirit” literally, and her new pal is actually the ghost of her dead husband.)

Liz Feldman (2 Broke Girls) will serve as showrunner for the series, which has already secured a 10-episode order from the streaming behemoth. Applegate will serve as an executive producer as well, along with Will Ferrell and Adam McKay. Filming will get underway this fall.

Applegate first broke into showbiz as ditzy teen Kelly Bundy on the long-running Fox sitcom Married… With Children. She followed that up with starring roles on NBC’s Jesse and ABC’s Samantha Who?, the latter of which earned her a pair of Emmy nominations. Dead to Me will be Applegate’s first starring TV role in six years, since NBC’s Up All Night went off the air in 2012.

https://tvline.com/2018/07/11/christ...-to-me-comedy/

·
Registered
15,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If anyone wants to catch this show, it has been renewed for a second season.

‘Dead To Me’ Renewed For Season 2 By Netflix
By Dino-Ray Ramos, Deadline.com - Jun. 3, 2019

The Netflix series Dead to Me will live on. The streaming giant announced that the dark comedy starring Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini has been renewed for a second season. The news was announced Monday night during the show’s FYSee panel in Los Angeles.

Created by Liz Feldman (2 Broke Girls), Dead to Me centers on Jen (Applegate), a sardonic widow determined to solve her husband’s recent hit-and-run murder, and Judy (Cardellini) an optimistic free spirit who’s recently suffered her own tragic loss. When the two women meet at a support group, they become unlikely friends, despite their polar-opposite personalities. But as they bond over bottles of wine, Entenmann’s cookies and a shared affinity for The Facts of Life, Judy desperately tries to shield Jen from a shocking secret that could destroy her life as she knows it.

The show also stars James Marsden, Ed Asner and Brandon Scott. After debuting on May 3, it was slotted as Netflix’s No. 1 show in the UK.

Feldman will serve as showrunner and executive producer on Season 2. The show is produced by CBS Television Studios for Netflix. Executive producers are Jessica Elbaum from Gloria Sanchez Productions, Will Ferrell, Adam McKay, Christie Smith and Applegate.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/dead-to...-2-1202626336/

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I've been watching it with my wife. It was sold as much more of a black comedy than it is.
It's still pretty good but has the typical plot points which annoy me to some degree which makes me not always in the mood to watch it.
The two stars are quite good in it.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
We finished this last night and really enjoyed it. While it's a chick series, not that there is anything wrong with that, it was so well written and acted that anyone put off by chick flicks should still like it. I laughed frequently, or smiled, so the humor was there, but there were also twists and turns that kept this moving at a nice pace. Ten, roughly 30 or so minutes an episode, made this a fast and enjoyable series. As mentioned, Christian Applegate and Linda Cardellini were excellent. Highly recommended and look forward to S2.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I've only seen the first few episodes so far and love it. It has a good premise that could conceivably last a few solid seasons. It helps that Linda Cardellini's character is so damn huggable despite of (or maybe partially because of) her flaws, if that makes any sense. :D

·
Registered
15,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We binge watched this. It turned out to be wayyyy better than I thought it would. During the first episode I was not sure, but the twist at the end was nice and then almost every episode has a twist/surprise. The humor was awesome. I was also really impressed at how great the chemistry is between the two lead characters. Subtle humor throughout didn't go unnoticed. Very well done, looking forward to season 2.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Just started this last night after some work colleagues were talking about it. Got through three episodes before going to bed, and I'm pretty sure we'll probably finish this up over the weekend. Feels like peeling away at an onion, and every development is like a little bombshell that changes everything you thought you knew before. Some could view this as a somewhat cheap tactic, but i'm totally fine with it because it's such a well-made show with great actors.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
We were watching Bloodline (Linda Cardellini) last night and I asked when are we going to see S2 of Dead To Me? Bingo!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Watched the first couple episodes last night. The show maintains its fine balance of tension, surprises, and comedy as before. Looking forward to seeing where it goes. The addition of Natalie Morales is welcome for sure.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Finished season 2 last night. Loved episodes 1-9. I felt episode 10 was sloppily done and a suspension of belief since the start of the opening scene.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I had liked the first season but Season 2 grated on me and I lasted 2 eps. My wife binged the whole thing so there's a cancelling vote in my house. Too too too much of the same stuff and the characters just annoyed me. Plot arc was pretty easy to see.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Finished season 2 last night. Loved episodes 1-9. I felt episode 10 was sloppily done and a suspension of belief since the start of the opening scene.

The last episode was done very poorly in light of the first nine. The money in all those paintings no one ever noticed including the police. Really dumb ending.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I just couldn't stop watching this one as I so love Christina Applegate. I wish she was in more movies as she is a really good actor.

I will say the son Charlie was really an irritating, grating ********, which probably also speaks well to his acting.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
After a really good S1, S2 was a disappointment. Not nearly the laughs in this one compared to S1. I struggled through E1-5, in part because I found Linda Cardellini's character to be extremely irritating. It was like she was operating without a brain. A real space cadet. Then things got a bit better for the remaining 5. Too much implausibility in the last episode.
The dedicated cop that has been vigorously pursuing Applegate decides to let her off after their search for the missing body comes up empty.

·
Registered
15,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From HOTP thread thanks to the awesome Dad1153:

‘Dead to Me’ Renewed for Third and Final Season at Netflix
By Joe Otterson, Variety.com - Jul. 6, 2020

“Dead to Me” has been renewed for Season 3 at Netflix, which will also serve as the dark comedy’s last. The news comes about two months since the release of Season 2 back in May.

With the renewal, Netflix also announced that it has inked a multi-year deal with series creator Liz Feldman for original series and other projects.

“Dead to Me” stars Christina Applegate, Linda Cardellini and James Marsden. The show follows Jen (Applegate), a sardonic widow determined to solve her husband’s recent hit-and-run murder, and Judy (Cardellini), an optimistic free spirit who’s recently suffered her own tragic loss. When the two women meet at a support group, they become unlikely friends despite their polar-opposite personalities.

“From start to finish, ‘Dead To Me’ is exactly the show I wanted to make,” Feldman said. “And it’s been an incredible gift. Telling a story sprung from grief and loss has stretched me as an artist and healed me as a human. I’ll be forever indebted to my partners in crime, my friends for life, Christina and Linda, and our brilliantly talented writers, cast and crew. I am beyond grateful to Netflix for supporting ‘Dead To Me’ from day one, and I’m thrilled to continue our collaboration.”

Both Feldman and Applegate are executive producers on “Dead to Me,” along with Jessica Elbaum and Will Ferrell of Gloria Sanchez Productions and Adam McKay. Christie Smith also executive produces. Cardellini serves as co-executive producer. CBS Televisions Studios produces.

“Liz Feldman is a comedic force who brings her fresh and distinct point of view to every element of the creative process from inception through writing and producing,” said Netflix’s Jane Wiseman, vice president of comedy series. “We could not be more excited to expand our relationship with Liz and continue to work with her on ‘Dead to Me’ and future series to come.”

“Dead to Me” has been well received by critics for both of its seasons thus far, with Applegate receiving both an Emmy and Golden Globe nomination for her work on Season 1.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/dea...ix-1234698931/

·
Registered
15,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Christina Applegate on Decision to End Dead to Me With Season 3: 'We Felt This Was the Best Way to Tie Up the Story'
By Michael Ausiello

The decision to lay Dead to Me to rest after just one more season was a creative one, according to star and executive producer Christina Applegate.

In the wake of Netflix’s announcement that the grief-stricken dark comedy would conclude with Season 3, Applegate tweeted, “I will miss these ladies. But we felt this was the best way to tie up the story of these women. Thank you to all the fans. We will be getting back to work when it is safe to do so”

Dead to Me centers on Applegate’s Jen and Linda Cardellini’s Judy, a pair of unhinged suburbanites who are drawn together by chaos, crime and murder.

“From start to finish, Dead To Me is exactly the show I wanted to make,” series creator Liz Feldman said Monday in reaction to the end date news. “And it’s been an incredible gift. Telling a story sprung from grief and loss has stretched me as an artist and healed me as a human. I’ll be forever indebted to my partners in crime, my friends for life, Christina and Linda, and our brilliantly talented writers, cast and crew. I am beyond grateful to Netflix for supporting Dead To Me from day one.”

Dead to Me‘s third and final season is expected to premiere in 2021.

https://tvline.com/2020/07/06/dead-to-me-ending-season-3-cancelled-christina-applegate/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts