AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was really weird. I unplugged it .... tried again and nothing. then I unhooked everything and plugged it into another power cord and it worked.

then when I hooked it all back up it worked again.

thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

You might consider a UPS (Battery Backup) for your UTV and any other devices you don't want effected by power loss.

UTVs don't like dirty power/ power loss conditions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use a surge protector and have had this problem happen to me (since it does not protect against power drops). I don't remember where I got this answer from, it might have been form tech support. There is supposedly a circuit protection feature built into the UTV unit. If there is a power outage or spike where the power drop and then returns quickly, this circuit protection feature will trip within the box to protect the HD. To reset it requires disconnecting the power cord and leaving it disconnect for a few minutes. When you reconnect the power you should be able to turn the UTV unit back on. I have had my UTV for about 3 1/2 years and have had this happen over a dozen times. So far I have been lucky. Maybe I should invest in a UPS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine was out when I came home from work last week. No lights on unit. Nothing. Discovered the circuit breaker had tripped for that outlet.

I tried unplugging and leaving unplugged and plugging into new outlet. Nothing.

I have taken the case apart and it seems that the power supply is supplying power to the "motherboard" because the the case fan comes on but it seems as if there is no power to the hard drive. I have swaped drives with a new dive imaged with 3.5. (Which I thought was the problem)Is this possible? Is there only enough juice coming out of the power supply for the fan and nothing else?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

My usual tip for those that can't power up their UTVs is to check the Power Supply to Motherboard ribbon cable inside the UTV...

Pull it out check the contacts and reseat it... It is a rather delicate looking cable and some on this forum have noticed bad contacts on this cable have caused issues.

If you suspect your Molex connector (Hard Drive/IDE Power Connector) is bad you can test it by removing the hard drive housing and either removing the connector from the UTV and testing it in your PC OR by replacing it with a new extension cable available at various stores. Be sure to check your Hard Drive isn't getting power (if you can connect a spare PC Power Supply or run an extension to the UTV you can run the UTV hard drive from that instead of the UTV itself)... No lights or response from your UTV usually means there is a problem besides the hard drive... Check the power supply/motherboard ribbon cable and the front panel cables are connected properly...

UPS systems are good insurance for having happy UTV users. Got all my UTVs, Multi-Switch, Digital Answering Machine (bad power erases all in/out records!), and Computer on 4 UPS units.

Later,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.