AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 17 yr. old Velodyne F-1200 sub in making a loud "humming" sound that doesn't change w/ the volume control or crossover control - even w/ the inputs disconnected. I'm afraid it's dead.

My room is big - 22x20 GreatRoom w/ cathedral ceiling that peaks at 14' - plus openings to other spaces. That said, the performance of the F-1200 was adequate for our needs.

Size is also a factor. 17½"-W x 19¾"-H x 17½"-D. I could go bigger, but it would be painful... The F-1200 fit inside my cabinet perfectly.

And of course, it needs to do everything. ACK! It get used for gaming constantly by my 17 y.o. son, but I couldn't care less about that. It gets used for H.T. too. And tho I don't listen much anymore, musicality is probably the most important thing to me. It's gotta be flat and quick all the way down, so I can play pipe organ music to jazz to rock.

And next - $1,000? Is that gonna get there? I'd buy another F-1200 if I could. It was perfect.

:cry:

· Banned
534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottyGee /forum/post/18128946

My 17 yr. old Velodyne F-1200 sub in making a loud "humming" sound that doesn't change w/ the volume control or crossover control - even w/ the inputs disconnected. I'm afraid it's dead.

My room is big - 22x20 GreatRoom w/ cathedral ceiling that peaks at 14' - plus openings to other spaces. That said, the performance of the F-1200 was adequate for our needs.

Size is also a factor. 17½"-W x 19¾"-H x 17½"-D. I could go bigger, but it would be painful... The F-1200 fit inside my cabinet perfectly.

And of course, it needs to do everything. ACK! It get used for gaming constantly by my 17 y.o. son, but I couldn't care less about that. It gets used for H.T. too. And tho I don't listen much anymore, musicality is probably the most important thing to me. It's gotta be flat and quick all the way down, so I can play pipe organ music to jazz to rock.

And next - $1,000? Is that gonna get there? I'd buy another F-1200 if I could. It was perfect.

:cry:

The Rythmik f12 will fit:

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12.html

The Rythmik f15 would be nicer but it's a little bigger:

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F15.htm

· Banned
534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottyGee /forum/post/18130188

Thanks for the reply! The Rythmik F12 looks good! Any thoughts as to how it would compare to the Velodyne?

The Rythmik will be as tight, controlled and articulate(if not more so) as the Velo F1200 with the added benefit of lower extension

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Any other options that are worth considering? I'd love to improve my HT impact. And maybe I'd settle for a little less on the music end of things. But not too much off the music end.

Looks like the biggest hurdle is the pretty specific size limitation I have. Any others that I should look at?

· Banned
534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottyGee /forum/post/18133692

Any other options that are worth considering? I'd love to improve my HT impact. And maybe I'd settle for a little less on the music end of things. But not too much off the music end.

Looks like the biggest hurdle is the pretty specific size limitation I have. Any others that I should look at?

If you were happy with the HT performance of Velo F1200, the Rythmik F12 will be perform as well, if not better. With the added extension of the Rythmik, you should hear an improvement for HT. Though for the size of your room, the Rythmik F15 will be a better fit.

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow.

Just got off the phone a bit ago w/ a Velodyne rep. I was offered a "B-stock" Optimum 12 for less than the Rythmic-12.

Is that a deal? Any thoughts as to how a Velo Optimum 12 would fare compared to the Rythmik-F12? I know the Opti isn't servo-controlled. One post on this forum suggested the Velo outperformed the Rythmik even in terms of music - but one post does not a consensus make!

Or they *MAY* be able to fix my old sub for $235. Not sure about who's paying shipping, which could add considerable expense...

ACK!

Any thoughts??

· Registered
50 Posts
I second getting the Rythmik. I just sold my Velodyne F1200 with the rest of my gear when I moved in the summer. I agonized over finding a sub that was a worthy replacement. The Velo was so controlled and articulate. Well, the Rythmik F15 has exceeded the Velo in all ways. It digs deeper, has much greater ouput, and plays with better articulation for music.( when set to high damping, 14hz extension). For HT, I "loosen" the settings to allow it some breathing room and it will shake the house. Seriously, my wife was looking for new drywall cracks on another floor after one U-571 viewing. My advice is go for the F15 and enjoy. I have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.