AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on starting two dead vent builds this weekend. I plan on building the DV’s pretty much identical to the SIM that soundproofing company uses. So the fan will be inside the dead vents which will be located outside of the room.

One will be for supply and one for return, the supply being at the front right corner of my room and the return at the back left. I’ve already purchased two AC Infinity Cloudline T8’s that we’re finally released last week. I’m somewhat confused on the exhaust vent to use and if I can use the same thing for both the supply and return DV?

Would the duct boot in this link work? Ted at soundproofing company said larger the better. I’d assume I just hook this to my flex duct and get a grille to cover? https://www.amazon.com/Speedi-Boot-SBH-10108-NB-90-Degree-Adjustable/dp/B0085KZHZA/ref=pd_sim_60_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0085KZHZA&pd_rd_r=d1a47bc5-7593-11e8-8a2e-95dda931668e&pd_rd_w=5a8Sz&pd_rd_wg=qbqq0&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=7967298517161621930&pf_rd_r=37NDG7J02D3CC54XZDA6&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=37NDG7J02D3CC54XZDA6

Or would something like this with a duct collar be a better option? https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-10-in-x-10-in-Insulated-Galvanized-Steel-Ductboard-Register-Duct-Boot/1000237437

Any other suggestions please share!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
RETIRED theater builder
33,844 Posts
Actually you can partition the inside of the dead vent and create a box at the end. You can cut a hole the size you want into the room. Line the box end with linacoustic or equivalent. It will be more quiet than any metal fitting. Just terminate the flex duct at the beginning of the box end.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Like big said , make your own boxes. Just pickup some 8” starting collar’s for flex duct to terminate to the diy box. You can check out my build that I’m doing now. I’m using the AC infinity 6” duct fans. I’m using my stage as a somewhat dead vent intake. My vent boxes to the room will be the stage right and left wings. I’m going to line them with the linacoustic and a custom air register.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually you can partition the inside of the dead vent and create a box at the end. You can cut a hole the size you want into the room. Line the box end with linacoustic or equivalent. It will be more quiet than any metal fitting. Just terminate the flex duct at the beginning of the box end.
I have a good amount of Ultratouch insulation I need to put to use. Would this work instead of the linacoustic? Or should I get a LA equivalent type duct liner?

Also I notice in researching it seems most of the dead vents are either MDF or some type of plywood. I planned on using 2x4 frames with double drywall like in Ted’s SIM’s. Is one preferred over the other?

·
RETIRED theater builder
33,844 Posts
Double drywall with GG would be a better sound containment design. I've used drywall as plenums for HVAC in theaters many times almost always inside soffits. Keep in mind that the fan motor needs to be accessible per code and construct the box accordingly.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
@mcallister, is this your only ventilation? Are you also adding regular HVAC supplies and returns or is that not possible.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@mcallister, is this your only ventilation? Are you also adding regular HVAC supplies and returns or is that not possible.
This will be my only ventilation. I'll be using a minisplit also.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
This will be my only ventilation. I'll be using a minisplit also.
I thought with a mini split you didn't need ventilation or at the most only a return would be needed? I would like to do a mini split, but can't afford it. I will probably go with conventional supplies and returns and if a dead vent needs to be added, will add it later. I will have unfinished rooms on both sides of my theater if I can ever save up money to build it.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought with a mini split you didn't need ventilation or at the most only a return would be needed? I would like to do a mini split, but can't afford it. I will probably go with conventional supplies and returns and if a dead vent needs to be added, will add it later. I will have unfinished rooms on both sides of my theater if I can ever save up money to build it.
I’m kind of in the same boat. The mini split is going to be dead last as I’m already way over budget. Going to go without it as long as possible. I also have two large adjacent rooms that stay very cool all year so was hoping this can help hold off the mini split until I can save up some cash.

Reactions: Ladeback

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
So are you going all out on your soundproofing as well? I keep debating if it is worth it since my wife doesn't complain now, but I would like to have at least 2 18" subs at some point. I like bass, but not like I did when I was younger.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So are you going all out on your soundproofing as well? I keep debating if it is worth it since my wife doesn't complain now, but I would like to have at least 2 18" subs at some point. I like bass, but not like I did when I was younger.
Yep, i went all out on soundproofing. I’m now in the stage, soffit, riser, column, these dead vents then carpet phase and hope to be finally done soon. I have a 6 and a 2 year old so honestly I mainly wanted the soundproofing to keep the sound out of the room...ha. It will be nice though to contain the sound also so not too wake them.

I love bass and will be using 4 Danley DTS-10s. I’m anxious to see how well the sound is actually contained within the room.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Yep, i went all out on soundproofing. I’m now in the stage, soffit, riser, column, these dead vents then carpet phase and hope to be finally done soon. I have a 6 and a 2 year old so honestly I mainly wanted the soundproofing to keep the sound out of the room...ha. It will be nice though to contain the sound also so not too wake them.

I love bass and will be using 4 Danley DTS-10s. I’m anxious to see how well the sound is actually contained within the room.
WOW! I just checked out the Danley DTS-10 and one of at the most 2 would be enough For my room. That's a lot of bass for sure. Look forward to your build.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally got these dead vents built and installed. I will say they do move a lot of air in and out of the room. I am getting a lot of air noise pushing into the room through the 6” PVC as Ted suggested. I’m still in the design phase but getting close so have no treatment up yet. Curious if once the room is treated it may bring the air noise down?

I’m using ultratouch R-13 as my main source of absorption and the supply dead vent will we behind the screen wall and completely surrounded by ultratouch. Should I line the inside of the PVC with ultratouch or maybe something like dynamat?

·
RETIRED theater builder
33,844 Posts
no you might actually hear it more if the ambient noise level is reduced. You need to slow the air down with either a fan control or a bigger duct/vent manifold as it gets closer to the theater space. A properly installed system should be so quiet you can't tell when it turns on and off by listening.

It helps to dump the PVC supply into a large lined box before it enters the theater space. it will slow down the air and absorb some of the sound. If this is behind the screen wall you might have room to build something that will be hidden.

This theater had a dead vent dumping into the theater from the ceiling behind the screen and it was way to noisy. We built a sepentine baffle box where the exit had over 4x the cross section of the entering supply. It did the trick.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2449378&stc=1&d=1535754948https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2449378&stc=1&d=1535754948

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts