AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a very good deal on 4806S. It sounds too good to be true.

I know that there is a Owners thread with 1800+ posting but can someone PLEASE help understand the difference in 4806CI and 4806S?

Is this a old, discontinued model?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
The "S" designates the silver version.

The differences between the standard 4806/S and the "ci" versions are:

CI includes 1080p HDMI video switching and 1080p upscaling via HDMI from a composite/S-video/component source.

CI includes support for Windows Media Center files

CI gives you web access to control features via ethernet port.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So to sum it up:

As I have a 720P native resolution projector and also do not have a source qith 1080P, I do not care about 1080P switching. I am happy as long as I get 1080i switching and transcoding from analog video.

I do not believe in AVR upscaling functionality. I think it is always better to let the final display to do the upscaling or downscaling to the native resolution sp. when you have an expensive displays.

Windows media and ethernet port are cool features but I guess I will be OK with them.

I won't get SACD on the HDMI but I have DL3 and IEEE1394 option. So I won't be missing out on that feature.

Am I missing anything in this analysis?

·
Registered
6,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asangamnerkar /forum/post/0

And one more thing:

IMO HD-DVD is going to win the format war...:)

I hate to break it to ya, but I seriously doubt that's gonna happen:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-...?tag=cnetfd.mt
Quote:
4. HD DVD surrenders by September

OK, this probably won't happen, but it should. With sales for both HD DVD and Blu-ray stand-alone players remaining tepid throughout the year, the biggest number of players will actually come in the form of game consoles--or in the case of the Xbox 360 and its HD DVD external drive, game console accessories. According to the numbers we're seeing, there are 175,000 HD DVD players out there (with 92,000 of those being Xbox 360 HD DVD players) and around a million Blu-ray players in homes, most of them PS3s. As Sony ramps up PS3 production, we expect that 5:1 ratio to hold, and perhaps even increase. Add to that the fact that sometime very soon the number of available Blu-ray titles will top the number of HD DVD titles, with the gap continuing to widen as the year progresses, and things don't look all that good for Camp HD DVD. Personally, I don't care who wins or loses, and I'm not rooting for either format. But unfortunately, if someone doesn't bow out gracefully, both formats risk going nowhere, especially with various forms of downloadable HD content in the works. (Read Senior Editor John Falcone's "Dispatches from the format war: H-DVD vs. Blu-ray" for a complete rundown.)

current trend seems to back that information up:
http://www.dvdempire.com/index.asp?u...ite_media_id=0

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Please tell me this isn't from some guy in Romania over ebay who promises it's a real genuine unit. A couple days ago there was a thread about a guy who thought he could get a 5805 or one of Denon's $5k recievers for about $300. You might as well throw your wallet over a cliff.

Be sure it is from an authorized dealer, Denon's website lists authorized dealers. There are only a few places that are authorized to sell online

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.