AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the midst of a rehab project including a gut rehab of my existing home theater room. A home audio company has been in charge of selecting (and installing) the in-wall speakers and other components.

As part of their bid, they included a URC MX-900 (plus an MRF-350).

I currently have a Harmony One which has worked well, although I can see the advantages of having an RF remote (such as the Harmony 900). I'm not against going with the MX-900, but have a couple questions:

[1] Are these dealer-set-up remotes designed primarily for people who aren't tech-savvy enough to set up their own (and provide a source of profit for the dealer)?

[2] Does this mean that if I need to reprogram anything, or get additional components, I have to contact the dealer to make the changes?

[3] Assuming the programming software is available, it looks like it is PC-only. (I'm a 95% Mac household). Is this correct?

I'm thinking I might be better off sticking with my Harmony (or upgrading to their RF version).

Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
9,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoughtCriminal /forum/post/20849131

[1] Are these dealer-set-up remotes designed primarily for people who aren't tech-savvy enough to set up their own (and provide a source of profit for the dealer)?

Really not much different than what you are paying them for those speakers. I'm sure you could install them and run the wiring cheaper than their quote, but you are paying for their time and know-how.

If you do get them to install it I'd ask for the MX-880 or MX-980 instead of the MX-900. The MX-900 is a bit dated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.