AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a pair of for B&W 602 S3 speakers... for $700. The MSRP is 600. This is some bull-crap. Stereo-one in springfield missouri lied straight to my face about the price.

Anyhow, hopefully i can at least get my money back. I like the speakers.. a bit of bass 'bloat' though.. need to be broken in.

I tried reporting them to B&W but apparently authorized dealers can charge whatever they want.

Grrr

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
This isn't unique to speakers.

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
The old PSB dealer here used to charge $300/pr for $220/pr PSB Alphas. Nice compliment, but.....

On the other hand, the "S" in MSRP *is* "suggested" and so you can charge whatever you want, above as easily as below. Not normal practice and it doesn't exactly feel good though. It's like when car dealers charge a premium for in demand cars with tight allocations. I'd rather just buy something else. That's what the free market is for! Not defending them, but you probably felt they were worth $700 at the time. I'll be curious what they say as a response.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Get your money back...

...and never shop there again; boycott and tell your friends.

·
Registered
934 Posts

Quote:
I just purchased a pair of for B&W 602 S3 speakers... for $700. The MSRP is 600. This is some bull-crap. Stereo-one in springfield missouri lied straight to my face about the price.

OP: Not to be a jerk, but maybe you should have found out MSRP before buying; you were obviously able to after the fact. If dealer lied about it they do suck, but I pretty much assume that everyone is always lying when you are buying something where price is negotiable, so my feelings don't get hurt by that.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by droht /forum/post/0

OP: Not to be a jerk, but maybe you should have found out MSRP before buying; you were obviously able to after the fact. If dealer lied about it they do suck, but I pretty much assume that everyone is always lying when you are buying something where price is negotiable, so my feelings don't get hurt by that.

Well if manufacturers wouldn't HIDE the M.S.R.P. then I would agree...

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Audioreview.com is a great place to find out the MSRP price of speakers, even when the manufacturer doesn't have it readily available on the web site or over the phone.

I keyed in B&W DM 602 S3 and got one result, priced $600.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Truthfully, I'm not surprised they lied. That said, yes, I'd be pissed to. But did you know this is fairly common?

My local ford dealer charges about 15% more for parts then one 15 miles away.

A local Honda dealer marks all his parts up 25% over retail.

My local, and really only, major plumbing fixture supplier charges something like 50% over retail.

You think golf balls, tees, and etc.. really cost as much as you pay at the courses pro shop?

Now that you're aware of it I'll bet you realize it's happened to you before, and/or you'll see it again soon. I'd tell you to call them on it but believe me, they know, don't care, and aren't going to change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.