AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I searched but never found an exact thread to answer my question.

I have a 46" Bravia LCD mounted about our vent-less gas logs fireplace. Of course this means that ALL the heat generated by the fireplace comes into the house. The mantle sticks out pretty good but the heat just pummels the TV as soon as you turn it on (even on low) so basically we never use it.

We have a baby in the house now and even though we are in the south it still gets pretty cold. Our heat pump units struggle during these cold nights. I never had an issue with it being cool at night but now with the baby... you get the picture. And kicking on the 'emergency backup' heat strip in the unit costs a fortune to run.

I was trying to find some sort of "heat dissipation" system I could you that would be sort of like a fireplace insert for a wood burning fireplace. The kind with a blower that would push the heat further out in the room instead of just up and over the TV.

The only cheap solution I have come up with so far is on of those tall skinny fans and mount it sideways under or place it on the mantle so it pushes the air outward before upward. Has anyone else ever tried something like this?

Any other input? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hmmm i have my 50" samsung mounted over my gas fireplace as well. I was worried about the heat as well. I don't know how your mantle is..but my mantle dissipates the heat pretty good, the t.v doesn't even get warm......post a pick of your t.v fireplace set up.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
A solid mantle should both disipate the heat and be a barrier to heat rising up through the mantle to the TV.

You could mount a pull down screen and mount a projector away from the heat : )

Is the heat affecting the performance of the TV?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Check the manufacturer of your fireplace for an extended canopy hood. I don't have my manual in front of me, but I remember seeing an optional extended hood (~ 1-2") which can make a big difference in heat deflection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the input

mantle is full of xmas crap right now so maybe a pic later :p

the mantle dissipates a good bit of the heat but our fireplace is ventless so ALL THE HEAT pours into the room and it just wraps right around and starts getting it very warm.

i actually discovered there is an internal blower kit for my fireplace and that also there is already electricity wired into the bottom of the box and now i know what the hell that extra switch on the wall is for!

so i ordered the blower kit from fireplaceblowersonline.com so this should be an invisible fix that also helps distribute the heat in the house

·
Registered
942 Posts
I bought a blower for my fireplace. I will surely push the heat away, but they are not real quiet.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would be more concerned about your ventless fireplace, Damn that scares me.

Canada didn't approve those for use up here, and I service alot of fireplaces that even with a chimney leak out carbon monoxide around the glass. it surprises me that a ventless fireplace is manufactured.

I hope you get that serviced yearly. and you have a CO detector in the same room, as well as in your sleeping area

Just a tip from your friendly neighborhood HVAC technician

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.