AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do people handle friends, family, co-workers, etc, that are nosey (or just plain inquisitive *), and ask the dreaded question: "How much was it?" :rolleyes:

Sure, I could be a [email protected]@$$ and reply with "More then you can afford!", but I'm looking for a humorous or thoughtfull reply to tell them.

* Some of my friends are just plain curious, and I don't have a problem telling them. i.e. They understand that "you get what you pay for -- on a decreasing expontial curve". The problem, is the others that like to blab -- "Did you hear how much Poho paid for his ..." -- This 2nd group is the one I'd like to tactfully answer. :)

Cheers

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by _Michaelangelo_
How do people handle friends, family, co-workers, etc, that are nosey (or just plain inquisitive *), and ask the dreaded question: "How much was it?" :rolleyes:

Sure, I could be a [email protected]@$$ and reply with "More then you can afford!", but I'm looking for a humorous or thoughtfull reply to tell them.

* Some of my friends are just plain curious, and I don't have a problem telling them. i.e. They understand that "you get what you pay for -- on a decreasing expontial curve". The problem, is the others that like to blab -- "Did you hear how much Poho paid for his ..." -- This 2nd group is the one I'd like to tactfully answer. :)

Cheers
It's funny cause I deal with this all the time.

I work for a major electronics retailer... and I am always selling stuff.

It's strange when people act like they are spending a fortune on thier new 32" flat screen analog Sony and Home theater in a box , total package about $1200... and then they always make a remark or somthing asking about my system... I never really tell them that just my surround reciever costs more than thier whole system.

Somtimes I think... people buy a $299 all in one surround sound and add it to thier $3000 RPTV.... they must be nuts. Home theater in a box has definitely ruined audio. I don't even enjoy selling it anymore because it's so rare that someone actually wants to buy and own a good system nowadays. They are brainwashed into thinking that all in one Home theater in a box is surround sound... and it's not even close to the real thing.

But... Most people don't understand $2000 worth of subwoofer... or $5000 worth of speaker.... or a 10 foot wide screen.. They are impressed when they see it sure.... But they don't see the value in owning it like I do.

Just like I would never buy a $40K car... even if or though I could. I just don't personally see the value or need to own a $40K+ car... a $10K car thats a year or two old can do the same thing (get me to work and back)

It's kinda like that....

Different people have a different value system.

I usually try not to talk about the cost of my system. I brought home a $600 surge protector last night.. my girlfreind was ready to kick me out of the house:(

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
It's funny cause I deal with this all the time.

I work for a major electronics retailer... and I am always selling stuff.

Somtimes I think... people buy a $299 all in one surround sound and add it to thier $3000 RPTV.... they must be nuts.
Hehehe. I'm one of those people :) Hear me out -- I actually have a very good reason:

I wanted a "quick starter system" to enjoy DD/DTS 5.1/6.1 *today*, while I save up to get a "real" Home Theater system that will last me a number of years.

This way, instead of making costly mistakes -- i.e. buying high-end audio gear that I don't know jack about, and can't evaluate the strenths/weaknesses of it -- I can take my time, see what my needs are, what options are available, and put together a budget. e.g. I recently found the "Onix Rocket 750" thread over in the speaker forum. I know I would of cringed if I had just spent $5k on a "good brand name" speaker system, when something half the cost probably would of met my needs. :p

I want a "Good bang/buck" ratio on my mid-end gear, and don't have a problem using cheap consumer components, until I figure out what I eventually want.

Cheers

·
Registered
384 Posts
I bought a 433cmx with the 5002 card for a little over $4,000. I love to tell my friends and acquaintances what I paid -- most of them think plasmas still cost over $10,000. The nearly universal response is "really? is that all?"

My mother, of course, is another story.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Considering the audience whose questions you are trying to address...

Just keep it simple....

Q- "Whoa! Dude what did that set you back?"

A- "Oh! Man! I got a bargain.... It's like only $5 a month!":D "BTW, what have you got your Sears card up to , now?"

·
Registered
891 Posts
Brucer,

Good point! Im thinking about what to tell people like:

Relatives: "I won it!!! because are you kidding me??? ...I wouldn't ever pay that price for a television"

Its a tax write off.

I needed it for training purposes and tradeshows.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I agree with mfusick,

He has it dead on. There is a thread on this somewhere, but I agree that it is just different values.

It IS amazing, however, how people will view you after buying a TV that cost $3-5 K as "nuts", but not for buying a $40,000 SUV.

Or for paying big money for golf clubs and green fees every weekend.

Or a few hundred on a cell phone when the "free" ones are often just as good" (for the usual purpose, of course.

A friend of mine with a huge Ford Excursion was giving me crap. I pointed out that for what his one SUV cost, I could have a new car, and three or four of my plasmas, and still have money left over.

That shut him up pretty quick.

Its not that the values are better or worse, just different.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quote:
They are brainwashed into thinking that all in one Home theater in a box is surround sound... and it's not even close to the real thing.
That is not true. You cannot draw absolute generalizations like that. My $400 Kenwood HTB-503 is a great sounding system, for both laymen and the pros, as evidenced by favorable reviews everywhere. And it represents excellent value when you consider the price. It decodes and interprets DTS, DD, Pro Logic, etc very nicely. So it would not be surround sound, according to you?

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by morgan_chiu
That is not true. You cannot draw absolute generalizations like that. My $400 Kenwood HTB-503 is a great sounding system, for both laymen and the pros, as evidenced by favorable reviews everywhere. And it represents excellent value when you consider the price. It decodes and interprets DTS, DD, Pro Logic, etc very nicely. So it would not be surround sound, according to you?
I will try to be polite.... but YES.

It's no where close to what I would consider "REAL" surround sound.

The Subwoofer on your system is probably not even powered, and draws all the power out from the receiver, which ruins your sound, drives up distortion, and reduced dynamic range and clarity.

The speakers are paper... non voice matched, and composed of materials and R&D costing less than 10$ U.S. for the set.

Now, I remember the Kenwood 503, and I do remember it was a good system and a good choice for it's price. At the time there was just few option around $500 or less for a complete surround sound system. The problem with these home theater in a box systems is that the competition is so fierce to offer more and more for less and less money that the MFG are cutting corners... and most of it comes out in the sound.

I think some of these home theater in box systems are fantastic... the new Panasonic SCHT700 or somthing like that has 5 disc DVD/ progressive scan/DVD-AUDIO; five speakers, powered subwoofer, remote and sounds admirable for it's $332$ selling price. For $332 it's an amazing system.

But, will that $332 complete surround sound hold up to a system that the reciever costs five times as much, the subwoofers four times as much and the speakers ten times as much?

There is just no way...

You can spend anywheres between $300-10,000 on CONSUMER LEVEL AUDIO... available at national retailers and stores like Circuit City and Tweeter. You can spend way way over $10K at some specialty shops.

Audio is one of those things where each person needs to decide what they want and are willing to spend. There is demonstrable quality difference between a $500 system and a $1200 system.... and again between a $1200 systems and a $2400 systems.... and again bewtween a $2400 system and a $4800 system.... but probably another step and it's where I would start to think about value because the economies of scale are going to get thrown out the window and you will begin to pay alot more for the same incremental jump in quality.

Most people here at this forum probably make $30K-80K a year I would guess... I would think that a $5K system would about top most people's idea of a good system, though you can get a pretty high quality system for half that.:)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have to agree on the sound issue. Most of the HTIAB I've heard sound like listening to my neighbors stereo through the wall. When I was a young lad my brother and I split the cost of an upper-end home theater system (THX-certified upper-end consumer level actually, bought at

·
Registered
315 Posts
 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=248584 here's a similar thread to this one.

Just last week we had a good number of people (~20) over for the first time since the plasma arrived. It was an impromtu party because a couple of friends who we all haven't seen in years came to visit so the "old gang" came over.

I intentionally had it turned off because I didn't really want to call any attention to it (which didn't last long so it eventually went on). When people asked how much was spent I said you can get them nowadays for ~3k but I spent a little more for the bigger 50" which is what I really wanted.

Just about all were surprised since they are used to seeing the prices at CC and BB go for almost 10k. Some said had they known a quality plasma could be had for

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.