AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After only a few hours of use, my otherwise perfect Panasonic 711XU had developed a stuck blue pixel almost dead center. Knowing that the general policy is that 3-5 dead pixels is usually within spec and would therefore not be covered by warranty, I decided I could live with it.

Then I changed my mind.

So I called my salesman, who graciously called Panasonic, and learned the following:

Many of Panasonic’s projectors (including the 711XU) are covered by their “Panazip†program. Under this program, Panasonic will, for a period of 3 years:

a) repair (at their expense) stuck pixels from projectors purchased from authorized dealers (which mine was),

b) provide a free loaner while it is being repaired, and

c) pay for round-trip shipping.

So I called Panasonic today.

Result?

Without any argument, they agreed to overnight a replacement projector. When I receive theirs, I will return mine for service in a pre-paid box. When repaired, I will receive mine back and will then return their loaner.

I therefore do not lose a single day of projector use, am not incurring a cent of outlay, and end up retaining my otherwise perfect projector.

I can’t but help be impressed with Panasonic’s service!

So if you’re weighing projector choices and, if all else is equal between the projectors, one is covered by the Panazip program and the other isn’t, well, the choice should then be obvious.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Now THAT is impressive service!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Outstanding.

Any record online of which projectors are included in the Panazip program? Would also be interesting to see if this is a widespread practice and not just in the US.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Noah...the Panazip (or ZipIt) is what Panasonic calls its 3 year warranty for the projectors listed in the memo referred to above.

There is no separate charge. It is simply the Panasonic warranty.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the conclusion to my tale of dealing with Panasonic in repairing a single, stuck pixel.

After 3 weeks of using Panasonic’s free loaner while mine was in repair, I received my projector back from Panasonic. The projector included a note that they had replaced, free, the blue panel. Immediately tested the pj…it is now once again perfect!

Recapping :

Stuck pixels…1

Days for service…20

Days without use of pj…0

Cost for shipping…$0

Cost for loaner pj…$0

Cost for service…$0

Cost for parts…$0

Time spent arguing with Panasonic…0

Cost for Panazip program…$0

Truly impressive customer service. Need I say more?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I had the same experiance when having my 711 serviced. Cost..........priceless.

·
Registered
916 Posts
It's truly refreshing to read this thread!

Finally, a large company that has it's customer service act together. This is a position taken by a company that must be praised. Let's hope other companies get on the forum and see how far a little common sense really goes.

Kudos to Panasonic!

Mitsubishi, are you listening?

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wolfgang armbru
Here is the conclusion to my tale of dealing with Panasonic in repairing a single, stuck pixel.

After 3 weeks of using Panasonic’s free loaner while mine was in repair, I received my projector back from Panasonic. The projector included a note that they had replaced, free, the blue panel. Immediately tested the pj…it is now once again perfect!

Recapping :

Stuck pixels…1

Days for service…20

Days without use of pj…0

Cost for shipping…$0

Cost for loaner pj…$0

Cost for service…$0

Cost for parts…$0

Time spent arguing with Panasonic…0

Cost for Panazip program…$0

Truly impressive customer service. Need I say more?

WOW:)

Most people don't have this luck, and most companies have a hard time with 1 stuck pixel and coverage.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Its disappointing to note how impressed we all are with a policy which should be the norm for all of the projectors in a 5k+ forum. If you're getting into this price-range of product and you've got a problem, you don't want to hear a lot of BS about some unilteral and artificial standard that must be met in order to 'qualify' for the vaulted 'defect' status .

The fact is that Panasonic's policy is impressive, but no less than should be expected for all consumer electronics that cost at least 5k and more. While a time limit factor (1-3 years) is reasonable , these warranties should be unconditional except for the misuse and/or abuse by an owner, and cerrtainly not as vague and ambiguous as many are.

And yes, a loaner is appropriate and should be expected, particularly if the repair may take more than a few days.

Let's all get up, open our windows, and scream I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to buy it anymore. (And then we all woke up).

Palladin

No matter where you go, there you are

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I think we may be giving Panasonic more credit than they deserve here. This is a business projector and warranties like this are not at all uncommon for these units. Now, a warranty like this for an HT model would impress me more.

--Darin

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by darinp
I think we may be giving Panasonic more credit than they deserve here. This is a business projector and warranties like this are not at all uncommon for these units. Now, a warranty like this for an HT model would impress me more.

--Darin
Why is this distinction made between business and home theater usage?

I would think Home theater is more important relative to picture quality and product quality control because the viewer is more adept to a good and flawless picture? no?

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
Why is this distinction made between business and home theater usage?

I would think Home theater is more important relative to picture quality and product quality control because the viewer is more adept to a good and flawless picture? no?
I think the short answer is because these warranties are what it takes to compete in the business market and companies have decided that it is in their best interest to offer them. I think it has been shown that they are not required in the home theater market. Also, many of the businesses customers buy multiple projectors and if they are stuck without a working projector for an important meeting they are likely to switch to a new brand which would do everything to assure that wouldn't happen again. The same applies if they are stuck with a faulty projector, the end of buying that brand.

I hope this doesn't turn into a big philosophical argument, but companies who are looking at maximizing their profits look at the market to decide how to price something and what extra items (like instant replacement warranties) to include. Most of us do the exact same thing when we try to sell our own items.

--Darin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.