AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have calibrated my TC-P50G20 a couple of times using Calman 4 and an X2 and am reasonably happy with the results other than issues with the shadow detail. I can get the DeltaL values lower other than the green and have read there may be a FW update to deal with that. However that's not the question.

I recently noticed that the lower end (20%-30%) of the grayscale visibly takes on a distinctly reddish appearance when bringing up the TV menu and it stays reddish when adjusting items (i.e. only the yellow adjustment bar is visible) as well. Without the menu displayed the scale looks good. However when watching TV the shadow details seem to be too reddish and blotchy. As such, I'm looking for suggestions at to the best way to deal with this.

Should I be using APL grayscale windows instead of the plain grayscale windows? The procedure I have been following is to take a reading; bring up the SM and make adjustments; exit the SM; take another reading. I know that the readings are different if the SM is being displayed but that seems to mimic what I'm seeing when watching content. Because of this I am beginning to wonder if I should just leave the SM displayed.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Morris
*** bump ***

I guess the real question may be "How best to do a calibration when the grayscale color shifts with real content on the screen?"
If you are comparing tv programming..that might not be best suitable..Are you seeing the same thing happen on movies?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the color grayscale color shifts when driven from the calibration disk so I would assume that I'd see the same thing; a) from anything coming from the DVD player, b) since it's display related it would be the same problem regardless of the source.

Should I expect something different?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Morris /forum/post/19602724

Well, the color grayscale color shifts when driven from the calibration disk so I would assume that I'd see the same thing; a) from anything coming from the DVD player, b) since it's display related it would be the same problem regardless of the source.

Should I expect something different?

If you see shift in the greyscale then it could be that your meter is having a problem (call spectracal) OR it could be that you set the constrast too high but the way I see it - by your attachments, it looks really good if we are painting by numbers..BUT something visually does not seem right to you. By chance do you have another meter you can test with?

Also - I use APL because of the shutter cannot be turned off on my set..So I will try that as well..When I went from WINDOW to APL WINDOW..my calibration numbes where the best and the picture simply is way better now.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I see the color shift visually so it's not a meter problem. Also, it's happening down at the 25%-30% end instead of the high end so it's likely not a contrast issue - at least based on my limited knowledge.

I'll download the new AVSHD disk and try the APL windows when I get a chance. Hopefully going the APL route instead of just windows will correct the noticeable shift I'm seeing.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Morris /forum/post/19604239

Actually, I see the color shift visually so it's not a meter problem. Also, it's happening down at the 25%-30% end instead of the high end so it's likely not a contrast issue - at least based on my limited knowledge.

I'll download the new AVSHD disk and try the APL windows when I get a chance. Hopefully going the APL route instead of just windows will correct the noticeable shift I'm seeing.

then its a greyscale issue..so its probably the meter not reading correctly..maybe you can set the software to read LONGER in the lowend..i know calman has this in their software..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.