AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung H6350 wall-mounted in my office, and because of my desire to keep a clean aesthetic in the room I don't have an entertainment console where I could hide this Comcast box. Using some careful measuring to line it up with the gaps in my wall bracket i've mounted the box on the back of the TV. The H6350 has a remote dongle that is able to control the Comcast DTA which I have mounted in front of it so that I can have it completely hidden and control both with the one remote.

I was feeling boastful after my "victory" over this irritating box that I have to have on every television, so I thought i'd share.

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
I really like the time warner Cisco Dta170's..a better box than some of the full stb's they give out..

·
Registered
165 Posts
I really like the time warner Cisco Dta170's..a better box than some of the full stb's they give out..
What is up with the programming through those though? I have three, hooked up to different brands of TVs with the same issue - some channels (MSNBC and BBCA for sure) @ 480p and some @ 720p. When I (appear to) get everything at 1080i on the regular cable box in another room. Unless the cable box is up-scaling and the DTA is incapable of doing so?

720p isn't so bad, but 480p displays in a letterbox and I have to put the DTA on zoom to fill the screen, which basically sucks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What irritates me has more to do with the fact that we've long since passed the time when Digital Transport boxes were necessary. All modern HDTV's have QAM tuners yet Comcast forces you to rent their stupid boxes for every TV you want to hook up. They don't even do anything other than decode Comcasts' encrypted channels. That and rack up $3.50 a month per unit.

Sorry to rant. Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
I don't like having to use a DTA either, especially the rental part..but I do understand..and you have to look at the real reasons they are doing this:

1) Cuts theft of service and illegal hookups to virtually zero. Especially in apartment communities.
2) Don't have to roll a tech & truck for an install or disconnect. YOU come to their office to pick it up!

3) No analog, less opportunity for people to have the wrong aspect ratio!

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I don't like having to use a DTA either, especially the rental part..but I do understand..and you have to look at the real reasons they are doing this:

1) Cuts theft of service and illegal hookups to virtually zero. Especially in apartment communities.
2) Don't have to roll a tech & truck for an install or disconnect. YOU come to their office to pick it up!

3) No analog, less opportunity for people to have the wrong aspect ratio!
Why can't I get the same channels in HD or at all that I get with the larger STB with guide data? I don't even get the crappy hippidy hop music channels on it! Says not subscribed!:eek: No Chiller or IFC

·
Registered
165 Posts
Why can't I get the same channels in HD or at all that I get with the larger STB with guide data? I don't even get the crappy hippidy hop music channels on it! Says not subscribed!:eek: No Chiller or IFC
Me too! That blows chunks.

Although you may notice free access to The Movie Channel preview channel...don't get that on a full-on STB! ;)

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
Isn't the big driver for closing analog(ue) service that it is pretty wasteful of bandwidth? You can fit a lot of digital SD channels into the bandwith occupied by one analogue SD channel.
Yea, that is what they have been touting as the main reason for doing this.

I was simply commenting on that from a dumb viewer who can't run the tv aspect...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So my solution was completely perfect in every way except for a very minor heat related issue that may or may not have cooked the box.

So it had to get moved, and I still had the issue of concealing it without an entertainment console to hide it on, and came up with another solution. I had to make the short cable jumper to use for this which was fine because it meant I finally had a use for that crimping tool again and then I used some acrylic to make a t-bracket for the IR transmitter to sit on and hang off the box. I have an amp that sits in front of this wall (but with enough room for air) so it's all still hidden.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts