AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are painting our soffits a dark red color (Tile Red). Problem is that in any of the dark deep colors they only come in a satin finish that has a pretty good shine too it. For most of the room I don't think that this is a problem, might even be a good thing for the indirect rope light, but I am worried about soffit that runs accross the top of the screen and reflections. The star ceiling reflects off the paint to I am thinking the screen is going to be a problem, screen will be about 12" below the soffit.

So is their anything made by some odd chance that is clear and flat that can go over the paint to take the shine off from it? Other wise I am looking at having to put a fabric over the soffit which isn't going to look go. At this point I am thinking I should have just skipped the soffit over the screen.

·
Premium Member
26,232 Posts
I wouldn't give up on the flat paint option. Take the color sample or mix to a benj. moore dealer and see if they can do the mix with a flat/matte finish. My generic guess is they can...

A a side note. I am not trying to be a dick...but you need to remove your equipment list from your signature. There is a place in the profile to list equipment. We've found that listing in the sig., hinders member's search results, so owner's created a rule against it. thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
You should be able to find a flat clear protector in the faux painting section. You can then paint that right over your satin paint and get a flat finish with the right color. I haven't tried it, but I've been told it works pretty well.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/18227270

I wouldn't give up on the flat paint option. Take the color sample or mix to a benj. moore dealer and see if they can do the mix with a flat/matte finish. My generic guess is they can...

A a side note. I am not trying to be a dick...but you need to remove your equipment list from your signature. There is a place in the profile to list equipment. We've found that listing in the sig., hinders member's search results, so owner's created a rule against it. thanks

I am a paint dealer for Valspar actually so I do have a little bit of experience of trying to get the dark reds in flat, can usually get close but not exact. I am trying some formulas out now to see what I can do, but I don't think I am going to get as close as the wife would like so I was looking for different options just in case.

Didn't know about the signature thing so I took care of it, thanks.

·
Registered
573 Posts
You want to paint it red in a flat finish? Why not just sand your satin down with a very fine sponge and paint over with with eggshell or flat? I just did my entire basement with a chocolate brown on the ceiling in a flat finish. Next time I would go with eggshell because flat is very hard to keep roller marks off of.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts