AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For no particular reason, just not time to go to sleep, not enough time to do any real work, and I already abused myself today... so here's my list of underappreciated (*) movies. It might inspire someone to check them out if they haven't already.

* Where underappreciated means not as popular as they should be, not that you personally don't appreciate them enough.

Comedy

Dodgeball. I just think that this one is hilarious and I never get tired of watching it. The story of an underachieving group at an underachiever's gym to keep it from being bought out by the obnoxious uber-modern gym owner next door. It certainly won't strain you mentally or anything, but it's just so funny. It's a perfect vehicle for Vince Vaughn and Ben Stiller.

Eulogy. Very out there and often swings a little wide, but when it's funny it's funny, and it has a lot of heart as well. You might have to be in the right mood to really enjoy it. But I never get tired of watching it and the parson's speech at the funeral leaves me out of breath every time because I'm just falling over laughing.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Mabye I'm just sick but I think it's hilarious and funny in sometimes dark and sometimes silly way. A noir on drugs I guess is the best way to describe it. A very beautiful femme fatale, and Robert Downey Jr is great as always.

Zoolander. I never get tired of this one, another Ben Stiller flick who plays a not so bright super-model, it's basically a spoof of the fashion industry. I guess it's probably more well known and widely watched than the others, but there might still be some folks who haven't seen it. I laugh my butt off every time I watch this one.

Along Came Polly. Ok, I guess I'm a Ben Stiller fan, but I think that this is just a hilarious film. I never get tired of it. It's so funny, has a lot of heart, all the acting is great, Philip Seymour Hoffman just kills me in this one with some of his lines and the physical comedy, Jennifer Aniston is gorgeous and a great foil for Stiller's character. I've heard people just rip into this movie and crap all over it but I love it. A good date comedy definitely. The director also did Zoolander.

Drama

The Anniversary Party. An amazing piece of work in my opinion. It's the story of an anniversary party (suprise) for a couple who have just gotten back together after some rocky times, and all of the various personalities and conflicts that exist in any such group of long time friends. It's kind of in two parts, since it's basically one type of movie for the first half, and then changes gears. It's funny and quite emotional in places.

Barcelona. One of my favorites. The story of two American cousins in Spain in the 80s and their lives and loves. It's both very dry and very silly at the same time, with a lot of cultural clash comedy, but very beautiful and heartfelt and quite intelligent as well. The music is well chosen in this one, which gives it a very dreamy quality in many parts. Much of the comedy is fairly intellectual and dry, but it's a very down to earth movie mostly. The guys who play the cousins are perfect for their roles and worked with the director in other stuff he's done.

Hurleyburley. Another favorite, about a set of friends living a life a little to fast and little vacuous and a little too disjoint and how it affects them. It might be an anti-date movie because it doesn't paint men in too great a light, but it's a great flick. Based on a play that some of the actors had been in as well, so they have it down cold and know these characters well. A great cast with Sean Penn, Kevin Spacey, Chazz Palminteri, Garry Shandling, Anna Paquin, and Meg Ryan (in a very different role for her.)

Permanent Midnight. Another Ben Stiller flick, though very unlike anything else you've probably seen him in. Based on the true story of a very drugged out Hollywood writer, it's darkly funny and very intense in many ways and very emotional as well. Maria Bella and Stiller do a great job as the leads. I think that this one should get a lot more respect.

Romance

Before Sunrise/Before Sunset. Two beautiful pieces by Richard Linklater and staring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. They were filmed nine years apart and use the actual actor's aging and deepining to very good effect. Watch them back to back for a great date night double feature. They are very intelligent, very well made, and the acting is excellent.

Shopgirl. Claire Danes is to die for in this one. A very low key, very sweet film, very well made. A little wierd at first but it grows on you and Steve Martin does an excellent job as well. I'd marry Claire's character in a heart beat. Definitely a good date movie, as long as you don't compare very closely to Steve Martin's character. It's also funny and with a lot of heart and emotion.

She's the One. Ed Burn's follow up to The Brothers McMullen, I think that this is a really funny and really touching movie. Maxine Bahns makes my mouth water in this movie so maybe I'm biased, but I really love it. Since with all his movies he doesn't have a lot of money to play with, he has to 'make do' with good characters and stories. I think that this one is better the TBM myself.

Mystery/Drama

The Spanish Prisoner. Excellent Mamet whodunit flick that is as twisty and convoluted as they come. With great complex dialog and a ambience that leaves you off balance and unsure of what's up and who's who the whole time. It has layers on top of layers of complexity and is very well made.

Science Fiction

Gattaca. One of the most intelligent sci-fi flicks of all time in my opinion. Everyone is excellent in this movie and it deals with very important themes and how they might play out in our future. Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman are great. The look is amazing and so well done, and with a fairly small budget I think. Directed by the same guy who did The Truman Show. Though it pales in size and scope with something like The Matrix, it's every bit as gripping to me and much more based in fact (whcih makes the future it envisions the more frightening.)

Deep Impact. Amageddon sucks, Deep Impact rules. Enough said. Pass me the kleenex.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey /forum/post/0

Science Fiction

Gattaca. One of the most intelligent sci-fi flicks of all time in my opinion. Everyone is excellent in this movie and it deals with very important themes and how they might play out in our future. Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman are great. The look is amazing and so well done, and with a fairly small budget I think. Directed by the same guy who did The Truman Show. Though it pales in size and scope with something like The Matrix, it's every bit as gripping to me and much more based in fact (whcih makes the future it envisions the more frightening.)

Deep Impact. Amageddon sucks, Deep Impact rules. Enough said. Pass me the kleenex.

Actually it was Peter Weir who did, The Truman Show and Andrew Niccol who did Gattaca.

I happen to like both films for storytelling and sound where you become caught up in the two worlds, each one having nice scores that accompanies the films story.

I only happen to like Armageddon until I hear a distorted cracking sound on the left side surround only! This is one the film mix nothing wrong with my JBL THX home cinema.

Deep Impact was far better than Armageddon, except the space shuttle lunches in Armageddon rocked with thundering JBL THX applause!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Thanks for the insight Dean, a few of those movies I've honestly never even heard of so at least they will be on my radar. Those being some mentioned in your 'drama' category (The Anniversary Party,Barcelona,Hurleyburley) and The Spanish Prisoner.

I must also confess to being a follower of Stiller's, he is very good at what he does.

On a side note... Deep Impact wins hands down!

One movie I'd like to mention as being under-appreciated is:
October Sky starring a young Jake Gyllenhaal depicting the story of coal miner's son who defied his father's expectations and ended up becoming one of the Instructors of the shuttle missions for astronauts. Very inspiring movie I'd say.

·
Registered
29,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 /forum/post/0

Actually it was Peter Weir who did, The Turman Show and Andrew Niccol who did Gattaca.

Niccol also wrote the screenplay for The Truman Show, which is probably why Dean confused them.

·
Registered
29,566 Posts
Can't say I much care for Zoolander, Along Came Polly, or Barcelona, but I'll second your recommendations for Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Hurlyburly, and Before Sunrise/Before Sunset (not sure how those last two qualify as "under-appreciated", though).

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Second "The Spanish Prisoner." Mamet is a gifted writer, and in this one (along with the G-Rated "The Winslow Boy") he proves he can write great dialog that is not also profane. The story and the acting in this little gem are both commendable.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Door to Door starring William Macey... incredibly inspiring HBO movie which made it to DVD in full-screen (OAR though). Macey is incredible as a door to door salesman with cerebral palsy... the movie follows his life from struggling to get a job to his retirement.

amazing

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Another movie that I'd like to mention is Stir of Echoes with Kevin Bacon. Both this movie and The Sixth Sense with Bruce Willis were released within a month of one another and I actually saw both the same day in the theater back in 1999. I happened to see Stir of Echoes first, followed by The Sixth Sense... and The Sixth Sense did NOTHING for me after seeing Stir of Echoes. I suppose the same could be true if I watched them in reverse order. Anyway, Stir of Echoes didn't receive a quarter of the fame The Sixth Sense did, but I actually enjoyed the movie more.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Add FEARLESS with Jeff Bridges.

(Gotta disagree with you about Ben Stiller. He's sufficient reason for me not to watch a movie. But that's just me!)

Thanks for your thoughts/summaries.

I have mixed feelings about DEEP IMPACT. I think I'd like both movies better if the Earth actually got hit and was destroyed, and the final scenes showed cockroaches crawling out of the desolation to gaze on a blackened and cold world.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Just fished watching, the Truman show for the 7th time since I first saw it back in 1998. The extra features on the disc is great as well with some delated scenes, Andrew Niccol, wrote the screenplay for both Gattaca and the Truman show, brilliant.

When Truman ultimately discovers the truth towards the end wow its at that point tears start running and Jim's performance was daring and bold to take this on and paid off very well.

"In case I don't see you good afternoon and good evening and good night, yeah".

eweiss

Fealess, Jeff Bridges, wow that was brilliant man.
Not to mention Starman which earn Jeff, a 1984 academy award nomination best actor.

And how about K-Pax, with Kevin Spacey as well brilliant and well written with a moving ending hearing Kevin's narration has Jeff, crouches down a looks though the sunglasses makes my smile.

The chemistry between the two actors was pure class on the screen.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Dean: Have you ever seen The Zero Factor? (or is it effect, can't remember) Bill Pullman and Stiller. A great private detective film, a wry modern take on a Sherlock type investigator...Stiller is amazing in it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang really surprised me! I tried it out having no idea what it was, and was really entertained by the bizarre and quirky structure and characters. Totally a movie that makes you smile and bounce along with it by not taking itself seriously and just poking fun at its characters and the bizarre world of Hollywood.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 /forum/post/0

eweiss

Fealess, Jeff Bridges, wow that was brilliant man.
Not to mention Starman which earn Jeff, a 1984 academy award nomination best actor.

And how about K-Pax, with Kevin Spacey as well brilliant and well written with a moving ending hearing Kevin's narration has Jeff, crouches down a looks though the sunglasses makes my smile.

The chemistry between the two actors was pure class on the screen.

I came to like Jeff Bridges after first seeing him in THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT. It was in 1974 or 1975 at a small theater in a little town in Kansas while I was on a business trip and had nothing to do that night.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Dean: Have you ever seen The Zero Factor? (or is it effect, can't remember) Bill Pullman and Stiller. A great private detective film, a wry modern take on a Sherlock type investigator...Stiller is amazing in it.

Definitely, yeh. It's been brought up in a number of threads before as being underappreciated. It's The Zero Effect, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Let's don't stop there.

The Jagged Edge with Glenn Close was very good.

Against All Odds with Rachel Ward and James Woods. Loved looking at her, and the Phil Collins song at the end brought a tear to my eye.

Kiss Me Goodbye with James Caan and Sally Field. One of the few romantic comedies he's done. I really enjoyed that one.

Let's face it; the guy is an excellent actor and very underrated with lots of great movies.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Wow I thought "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" was a waste of 2 hours... Dodgeball and Zoolander were weak too IMHO.

On the plus side, I just saw Aeon Flux on HD-DVD, and that that was very enjoyable, considering its poor reviews

The HD presentation was stunning and Reference quality... the story was fine, the style was excellent, and the Sci-Fi technology they showed was very cool.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh, and I missed two others from my collection (and, BTW, there are plenty of others, I was just working on ones that I have myself.)

A Family Thing. A very interesting story of racism, well told and with a lot of humor as well. With two large type stars (James Earl Jones and Robert Duvall) as the leads. It's really well done, persenting a very important message without pushing it in your face.

The Family Stone. A kind of dramedy piece, with an ensemble cast and again the beautiful Claire Danes, who has a small part but still stands out nonetheless. I've seen it a number of times and have enjoyed it every time very much. It's one of those 'disfunctional families trying to hold it together' type pieces, which never gets old because there are so many possible permutations.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.