AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

I have a dedicated home theater that is in need (well, want) of a subwoofer upgrade! What I want is a sub that I can feel. You know the feeling. I also know that obtaining that feeling with my budget may be suspect. When a bomb drops or a dinosaur roars, I'd like more of a tactile response than my H-100 can provide.

My particulars:

Budget: $750 max. This is my top end, not my starting point. :)
Sub Size: No constraints
Room Size: 13 x 18 x 8' (1,872 CF). No openings except the door, which remains closed.
Use: 100% movies
Listening Habits: If I am alone, I crank it up. If I am with the family, yawn.
Appearance: Does not matter. It will be behind a false wall of acoustically transparent fabric covering. You won't see it. (Hello outlet specials!)
Timeframe: I've waiting this long, I can wait for the next sale.

Other threads have often suggested SVS, Outlaw and Rythmik, so I am looking into those, or course. I've read countless threads on two subs versus one (I'll start with one for now). Shoot, I've even looked into DIY since I have the tools and love of woodworking.

I'd love to hear more from those who have gone before. Any good subs I am overlooking?

Thank you!

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
$750 is a tough spot on the price ladder. You can get an outlet SVS PB-2000 for around $750. Right now they have some for $729 and even $699 w/minor damage. If you can swing $808, a pair of outlet RBH I-12's would be really nice in your smaller sized room. Right now black is OOS, but red burl is available. http://emptek.com/bs3768778895RR.php

Reactions: oneeyeblind

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Shoot, I've even looked into DIY since I have the tools and love of woodworking.
Then get yourself over to the DIY forum. You simply can't get a high quality sub any cheaper, so in your budget you could build one heck of a sub. Plus, you'll have the pride that comes with building it yourself. That's got to be a win-win.

·
Registered
12,879 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, guys.

I spent quite a bit of time over in the DIY, looking at the Marty Cubes etc., then started looking into amps and felt overwhelmed when looking at the iNuke amps and all you can do with settings etc...

So, I thought it would be nice to just buy a sub and go... and eventually get around to tuning her up.

But, you are right - I will be able to get more bang for my buck going that route. Unless, of course, someone recommends a must-have pre-made unicorn that checks out.

Still open for recommendations before I start stalking Parts-Express.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here is what I am thinking of doing. I am either going to get an outlet svs PB-1000 or SB-1000. You can return it within 45 days if you don't like it. If you want to upgrade within 1 year, you can send it back and get a better one with their "Any product purchased from SVS can be traded within 1 year for full credit towards the purchase of a more expensive like product." policy. Like someone else said, try a PB-2000 and either return it, or upgrade by next summer if you need more bass.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,769 Posts
But, you are right - I will be able to get more bang for my buck going that route. Unless, of course, someone recommends a must-have pre-made unicorn that checks out.

No unicorns out in the wild, unless you happen to follow the leprechaun to bigfoot's lair... ;)

Given that you already have a subwoofer it seems like there's no immediate rush. Add in the fact you have the tools and skills to do woodworking and I'm with the others; build something. The folks in the DIY section are extremely helpful, so don't be intimidated. They will answer any question you have.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Thanks for the advice, guys.

I spent quite a bit of time over in the DIY, looking at the Marty Cubes etc., then started looking into amps and felt overwhelmed when looking at the iNuke amps and all you can do with settings etc...

So, I thought it would be nice to just buy a sub and go... and eventually get around to tuning her up.

go for DIY!!!

i had no idea what i was doing..did ALOT of reading...i found another local forum member to help me build the boxes....I just finished last weekend 2 dayton Ho 18's each in 4CF sealed boxes and they sound amazing...I got an Inuke 3000 DSP to push them. a few different people that have heard them were amazed. I was overwhelmed with the Inuke at first..heck I still dont understand most of it. Some very awesome forum members help me get the Inuke set up for my particular subs.

All in all I spent about 950. You could do 2 15's to bring that price down. If I can do it...anybody can.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2549057-my-new-dayton-ho-18-s.html#post46083209

Chad

Reactions: dsrussell

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
A Rythmik LV12R or Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12 would both be excellent upgrades over your current sub.

For dual subs, those I-12s that MIX_MASTER_ICE mentioned for $404 apiece would be an awesome addition to your setup. If you can experiment with placement, dual subs can create a smoother frequency response through a wider seating area.

Reactions: randal02
1 - 11 of 11 Posts