AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an unpleasant surprise when dropping in a rental disc last night, I decided to send this missive off to what I thought was a pretty good source for OAR DVDs.

Dear NETFLIX--

This comes not as a suggestion, but as an urgent request that I ask you to respond to. I just received a copy of THE MUMMY RETURNS in pan-and-scan. I NEVER want to receive any pan-and-scan discs and would like that requirement stipulated on my rental queue profile.

If you can't do that, or are converting all your newer titles to pan-and-scan only, I would like to cancel my membership.

Please respond at your earliest convenience.

--Mike

Has anyone else had this experience? I didn't put a home theater together to watch glorified VHS!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes I also got Mummy Returns from Netflix in P&S as they don't carry the WS version. I as well as many other have reflected that in the review sections of Mummy Returns.

I was rather surprised at Netflix's decision on carrying only the P&S version. They are usually pretty progressive on their movie selections (for example, they have a *huge* selection of foreign movies that I enjoy.)

Please let us know if it's it's their new policy to carry only P&S like Blockbuster and Hollywood. I don't think I will cancel my membership, though, regardless of their decision. They still have so much more titles than any other rental chain.

Beeeil

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Netflix sounded like an interesting company, after seeing their commercials on TechTV I almost recommended them to a friend, but there was a thread on DBSForums about Netflix, and after reading that thread, this thread and some other isolated opinions, I wouldnt recommend Netflix to anyone.

Steve

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I am putting that buying any Pan and San DVDs is throwing away money because when all of U.S.A. goes digital in 2007 the pan and scan DVDs 'won't play' on the all wide screen HDTVs of the future.

I may be wrong but I am doing my part in helping those who have already made the plunge and invested in wide screen DVDs that the format will burgeon, I post on these forums every day and hundreds if not thousands see that signature 'not to buy' pan and scan DVDs. They read my thorough

posts and think well this guy knows his movies. Then they read the signature, if only 4 out 10 believe me. The number of years I keep knocking the socks off other posters supplying material that could'nt have been found on the IMDb, the greater number of movie watching people will IMHO sway the confidence of other people to when the the U.S. Government says We are now digital wether it be 2006 or 2009 they will have been programmed into thinking that Pan and Scan DVDs are not going to work. Over and over reading what it takes me 30 minutes to type up while thinking of the movie and putting in what they really want to know like no other poster can tell them. When they read it they see that signature every time!

Most of you that have read my posts they are not 3 lines rather they are 33 times that amount describing the movie like I seen it a billion times. Every detail or quote in them is correct. This is because I have a natural supplemented memory of what a Human Being received at optimal age 23. I keep growning new brain cells to replace the old, who are ready to give the information stored to new cell. If this process is not done on a daily basis aged/aging brains go into senility or Alzheimers named after a German Psychologist, his first name was Alois. Parkinsons Disease was named after James Parkinson a brilliant UK surgion.

Besides being an avid movie watcher I am a natural medicine researcher, and not just herbs. There are Enzmes and Oxidants and things you take for lower than average L.D.L.(Low Density Lipoproteins) the bad cholesterol, while maintaining a good supply of the opposite H.D.L, or High.

There are so many supplements that are keeping my system free of harmful oxydation, free radicals. I am a man that takes things not to get sick, rather than wait tll I am really sick needing medical attention which 'they' use pharmaceutical synthetic medicine on you to get you sometimes sicker than before. I have seen people hospitalized for 6 costly months because of the adverse reactions of a un natural to the body product.

For you maintaining the perfect calibration keeps the great picture from going bad, if it goes out of the setting you may find the correct setting again or it might prove to be too elusive. In which you may need professional help to recalibrate the settings or be told you need a new set of HDTV hardware. The best prevention is to maintain the 'body' and/or the HDTV IMHO. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Jay Shem
Netflix sounded like an interesting company, after seeing their commercials on TechTV I almost recommended them to a friend, but there was a thread on DBSForums about Netflix, and after reading that thread, this thread and some other isolated opinions, I wouldnt recommend Netflix to anyone.
I am not sure what problems others are referring to, but I've been with Netflix for almost 2 years now, and I think they provide me with services that can not be matched by any of my local rental stores. Their selection is *so* much larger than any BBV or HWV, and it's much more convenient with no due date. They also have a huge selection of international movies (my local bbv and hwv carry almost none).

Of course the service is not perfect. Some movies do become unavailable due to demand, but so does the local stores. Also, new selections often is unavailable for many weeks. But Netflix for me is an alternative rental source that meets 95% of my rental needs. For mainstream movies that I absolute want to watch right away, I either purchase the DVD or rent them from HWV.

Because I joined early on, I am grandfatered into their $20 for 4 movies plan. The current rate for 4 movies is $25 I believe, and $20 for 3. I average about 8 movies per month, which works out to be about $2.50 per movie.

Based on my personal experience, I highly recommend this service to my friends who are looking for something more than a bbv and hwv.

Beeeil

·
Registered
728 Posts
I just joined NF 2 months ago ($20/mnth, 3 movies at a time) after my boss recommended.

With the current goings-on with the Trenton POs, movies have been a little late in coming and showing up as returned on the website, but its tolerable (plus I just learned how to report a movie as "delayed" to get them to send out the next one)

Overall I'm thrilled - no more driving to Hollywood video, waiting in line 10 minutes (never seem to have enough registers, plus they're painfully slow), paying $4.02 per movie (whats with the 2cents? this irks me to no end)....

I figure to average 5 movie/month so ~$4/per with Netflix = no brainer.

I am a little dissapointed to hear about the P&S DVDs though.

Watched episodes 1&2 of Sopranos 2nd season last night - what a great series...

later

Kurt

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Netplex ordered all widescreen and was sent all pan & scan. When they received their copies, they just figured oh well, not realizing the firestorm it would cause.

I stopped using them over a eyar ago. They suck.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I used Netflix for about a year and a half, and finally got fed up with all of the problems. It got to the point where I went about 2 months without 1 single new release. I would have a movie all ready to go at the top of my queue and would not receive it. Their shipping times took forever - I usually only watch on weekends and the time from me sending one back and then them sending me one allowed me about 1 movie a week. (I realize you could "lie" and say it got delayed in the mail but that was getting rediculous doing it every week) And if I ever got a new release I would be lucky to get it by the Saturday following release day.

So I finally cancelled 5 months ago and switched to RentMyDVD.com. I have not had one single problem since joining. There shipping time is excellent (about 2-3 days) and I have yet to miss a new release. They seem to have a collection just as big as Netflix.

I would highly recommend RentMyDVD.com to anyone on the fence about signing up with an online rental place or anyone fed up with Netflix.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, like I said, Netflix does have problem with keeping up with the new releases due to demand. For those titles, if I really want to see them, I buy from bestbuy or rent from bbv/hwv. I am glad you have good luck with other services. As for me, its huge selection in alternative titles in foreign/HK film that you can't rent elsewhere keeps my queue full and good movies coming.

Beeeil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.