AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Sony: Please Fix the PlayStation Store

And keep us in the loop while you do.

The PlayStation Network has gotten a bad rap from many corners of the gaming realm. Some of the criticism is well-deserved – after all, the PSN did get knocked offline for three weeks in 2011 -- but other criticism, not so much. The CrossMediaBar (XMB) isn’t nearly as difficult to navigate as people say, the online gaming experience is mostly indistinguishable from PlayStation’s rival on a game-to-game basis, and party chat really isn’t the be-all, end-all of the online gaming world.

But for all of that, the PlayStation Network experience is mired with and bogged down by incessant maintenance periods, slow download speeds and a litany of never-ending firmware updates. If you use PlayStation 3 (or PlayStation Vita) regularly, you’ve gotten used to this. It’s the PlayStation ecosystem’s very own Stockholm Syndrome between the company and its consumers. We just deal with everything and sometimes even make excuses for any encountered issue (PlayStation Network is free!).

What you might not have gotten used to, however, is the PlayStation Store, specifically the new iteration that was designed to fix all of the problems of the old version, but is somehow exponentially worse in almost every respect. And you very well might never get used to the fact that – for six years running -- Sony can’t update the PlayStation Store at a consistent time. Ever

Complete article at IGN

I wonder if Gaikai was brought on for more than just possible streaming of games but to help with a possible new PSN store for the new system. After 7 years and still these types of issues than what can we expect from all the promises of the features Sony promised in February and have been promising over the years?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
It's a little sad if they had to go buy another company to fix their crappy store.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I dunno, I've never had any issues and I like being able to buy stuff with less than 8 clicks now.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp  /t/1468770/dear-sony-please-fix-the-playstation-store-ign#post_23217344

I honestly don't get why we need firmware updates for the store when it used to all be done internally.

It used to just be a web page (or so the article says). Now its a full blown PS3 program.

I can't say I've experienced any real technical issues or slowness with the new store. I am using a hybrid drive though, a HDD might be some sort of bottleneck here, especially an old and fragmented one.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99  /t/1468770/dear-sony-please-fix-the-playstation-store-ign#post_23218080

It's the Windows 8 of stores.

Big shiny squares, confusing, and slow.

At least the squares are descriptive, unlike the ones on the MS store, where sometimes all you get is a cryptic few characters.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts

I have no idea why a system that can play games that need much more processing power can't display a simple shopping cart without terrible lag and slowdowns. Either Sony's backend for the store absolutely sucks, or the client app is terrible. Probably a bit of both.

And the other thing which bugs me (on both PS3 and Xbox) is how you have to quite the active app to browse anything else.

My guess is a lot of this is probably due to memory limitations (games can be optimized to stuff textures, web service calls can't) and should go away in the next gen consoles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.