AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://phandroid.com/2010/11/27/deat...eady-sounding/

Quote:
We could all cross our fingers and say it's only for the holidays or it could be a white knuckled effort to get more units into the hands of consumers; but an equally probable story is 25% off of Sony's Blu-Ray GTV units can only mean bad things.

With almost every major network giving the middle finger to Google TV and blocking access to their .com shows, it could be a safe bet to make that Google TV heads for an early grave long before it was able to truly take over the world.

I could beg and plead with the networks in this article. Give GTV a chance Stop being blind to progress It brings more viewers to your site, which translates to more revenue Trading a multi million dollar middle man for a free one should make sense! But maybe the world isn't ready for GTV. A lot of products were released well before their time, floundered and made a come back to change the world; with luck GTV could, at least, make this list.

I thought it was supposed to be THE thing this holiday season. Guess not. Do we seem to hear the air going out of this overblown balloon?

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Google TV isnt quite ready for Prime Time, but I wouldnt write them off. They have the clout to make deals and get things done.

Here is a good article...

CEO Expects TV Networks To Block Boxee Box

http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/10/blo...ment-platform/

TV.com (CBS) and Hulu and Hulu Plus are serving up programming from the big Networks.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I have to tell you it's Google's very clout that makes the deals harder to do, and not easier.

That said, I expect Hulu Plus soon enough and that should address much of the "there is no TV on Google TV" problem.

And as a very very vocal critic of the Gen 1 Google TV products, I still personally believe the platform has more than enough promise to justify a Gen 2.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The networks have some very real concerns here, and they are quite distinct from those that they may or may not have about Boxee, or Roku, or even Apple TV.

Google and the networks make their profiles by doing exactly the same thing: giving away content or intellectual property in exchange for displaying advertisements. Through cable, the networks have some measure of control over this presentation. Through Google TV they would not. Their content would be mixed with amateur and unpredictable programs and Google would not care as they would love to see people viewing more content in which they serve ads. Boxee, Apple, and others have a different business model that is more harmonious with the networks. Indeed, they are nothing more than new distribution channels that in fact monetize old and dusty assets in their libraries.

I think that they feel like it is easier to say "no" right now, particularly when they see enough other more palatable paths forward to non-real time delivery of their programming.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
As an Android app developer I have noticed that Google has VERY inexperienced young management prone to making bad decisions or "doing it their way" without thinking things through. I call it a "lemonade stand" company. As an example we recently got an email notifying us that we needed to rate our apps. There are 4 levels of apps: All, Pre-Teen, Teen and Mature. Now if you are using GPS in your app you have to rate it Pre-Teen or higher which didn't make much sense to the developers at all.

·
Registered
7,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad /forum/post/19558476

Now if you are using GPS in your app you have to rate it Pre-Teen or higher which didn't make much sense to the developers at all.

Actually, that makes perfect sense to me.

Considering "Pre-Teen" pretty much covers it all the way down to birth, I'd actually have made you rate it at "teen" or above if I were King.

-Suntan

·
Registered
398 Posts
I agree. The google name could be scaring old skool TV execs...

Even if google gets hulu plus, what really distinguish it as PS3 has it and 360 will have it. I don't see how GTV is worth the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo /forum/post/19556297

I have to tell you it's Google's very clout that makes the deals harder to do, and not easier.

That said, I expect Hulu Plus soon enough and that should address much of the "there is no TV on Google TV" problem.

And as a very very vocal critic of the Gen 1 Google TV products, I still personally believe the platform has more than enough promise to justify a Gen 2.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts