AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm new here and discovered these forums when searching for my first 42" inch plasma TV. It came between the samsung and the Panasonic PH-42PZ80E. The panasonic won because of the better black levels.

But now my question: In each shop I went here in Belgium they said death pixels are very rare. One even told me that he sold 200 TV's and not one came back because of a death pixel.

My first set arrived on tuesday, I inspected it and it had two errors. A small plastic between the glass plate and screen itself and yes, the second error was a pixel that staid grey. So the delivery guys could pack it back in and send me a new one.

The second one arrived on Friday, we inspected it again using the Break In DVD (which I found also through these forums) and found nothing. Not a single death pixel.

But now, only two days later, after a day watching movies, again I see strange things when playing the Break In DVD. First there was a pixel that was grey but changed to the correct color when the dvd showed another image, a minute later another pixel started blinking. So during the night I turned the TV off to let it rest. This morning I turned it back on and the stuck pixel was gone but another one was redish untill the color changed again.

So I'm wondering off course if I should worry about these strange pixels or if it is normal. And are those sales people correct that death pixels are something rare or is it still a common thing?

I had a deal with the shop that when I saw a death pixel within the 10 days I could exchange it again. But now everything is perfect so should I keep on running that DVD continuously or should I give the TV some resting time?

Thanx already

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
First of all, I'd like to thank your country for making some really great beer.
Now, about the dead pixel thing...it is more rare to have dead pixels with plasma than it is lcd. However when you consider how many pixels are involved with each technology it's pretty much beating the odds to get a panel that doesn't have even a single dead/stuck pixel. My feeling on the subject is that if you have to use a special dvd to find these dead pixels...and they don't show up during normal viewing..I would call it good as long as everything else about the tv is ok. Regulars on this forum know that I'm not a big fan of the break-in dvd, but I'm not going to tell you it's silly to use it however..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol, yep, best beer and chocolat in the world...

Well, yesterday the display was fine again at the beginning but after a day watching I inserted that Break-In dvd and the same pixel was blinking again. Should this blinkin pixel consurn me?

Then you say you don't like that dvd? Can you say short why?

The thing is: I have 10 days to return it when I have a broken pixel. Off course you don't see that blinking pixel when looking normal TV but still, those 10 days are counting and I have a feeling that during time more pixels will go bad but I'm a complete n00b so...

That's also the reason I thought off using that Break-In to stress the display the first 10 days but you think it's a bad idea?

Already thx for the reply.

·
Registered
488 Posts
whenever i travel to brussels on business, i always pick up pierre marcolini chocolates for the wife and friends...with the amount of money spent on those chocolates, I could have bought another new tv! LOL!

I can't opine on the pixel issue, but I agree with your reasoning on using the break-in dvd...the majority of electronic failures occur shortly after purchase. Thus, stressing the tv in the beginning "should" show any faults. This is not always the case, but I do agree with your reasoning

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
So it's true that you can only see this pixel using the break-in dvd right? If it really bothers you then go ahead and do the exchange..however you aren't guaranteed to not get a tv with even more dead/stuck pixels or even other issues you don't have now.

The reason I'm not a fan of the break-in dvd is two part....firstly, I have 3 plasmas with the oldest dating back to early 04 and I have never had an issue with any of them in spite of only using common sense...mostly fullscreen content for the first month or so. The second reason is that manufacturers recommend only what I stated above and don't have any other elaborate procedures to follow. If plasma displays really were as fragile as some people think, then they would no longer be on the mass market. Consider that only a tiny portion of plasma owners even know that a "break-in dvd" exists...and an even smaller group that is aware actually use it. I believe in using the tv for the reasons you bought it from day one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep it is true, it's just one blinking pixel, turning to the colour it should be and then into grey and back again. Blinks unregular but rapidly. I also wonder will it stop blinking after a while or just die? And what colour would it be when it is that way?

I understand your reasoning... Return it to get another one with more broken pixels etc... I don't want to end up in some circle like that, that's also I want to find out how rare it is or how common...

It's a shame I can't find any numbers or something like it to see how many plasma's actually have a broken pixel. Are most of them perfect or is it rare? And then there is also the thing you already pointed out: You can't see one without a special DVD or it should be a white one when watching a dark movie or vica versa...

What a dilemma? Nobody has a link to some statistics or something?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts