AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I noticed some interlaced artefacts while watching Death Sentence on blu-ray from Entertainment In Video UK, I checked to see what video mode the PS3 was outputting, to my surprise this disc is 1080i50! I've never seen a 50i disc before, most discs are 1080p24 even in the UK. I hope this isn't the start of a trend.

·
Registered
631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersoga /forum/post/12989577

I thought I noticed some interlaced artefacts while watching Death Sentence on blu-ray from Entertainment In Video UK, I checked to see what video mode the PS3 was outputting, to my surprise this disc is 50i! I've never seen a 50i disc before, most discs are 24p even in the UK. I hope this isn't the start of a trend.

50i? What's 50i?

I know 1080i @ 50Hz but 50i?

This isn't their first 1080i disc, U-571 is 1080i too, but I haven't seen 50Hz BD's before. I think it causes less judder on European Tv's, other than that I don't know

·
Banned
8,616 Posts
But Shoot 'Em Up lists 7.1 DTS MA and only has 5.1 DTS and the bit rate on the video is lower than New Line's disc, EIV are crappy all over.

Death Sentence looks great on BRD but this butcherd UK disc is beyond a Joke

·
Registered
282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersoga /forum/post/12989577

I thought I noticed some interlaced artefacts while watching Death Sentence on blu-ray from Entertainment In Video UK, I checked to see what video mode the PS3 was outputting, to my surprise this disc is 1080i50! I've never seen a 50i disc before, most discs are 1080p24 even in the UK. I hope this isn't the start of a trend.

Would this affect the running time? In other words, does it still run at 24fps, or has it been subject to speed-up? The BBFC passed the video version at 101m 10s (using a PAL recording), so the BD version should be around 105m 22s at 24fps.

Cybersoga, could you possibly confirm?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's running time is 101m 18s. It's not running at 24fps, it's running at 50 fields per second, which equates to 25 frames per second or PAL speed. Assuming it was shot in 24fps it's speeded up, soundtrack voices and all.

·
Registered
282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersoga /forum/post/13014307

It's running time is 101m 18s. It's not running at 24fps, it's running at 50 fields per second, which equates to 25 frames per second or PAL speed. Assuming it was shot in 24fps it's speeded up, soundtrack voices and all.

Many thanks for that confirmation.

This is absolutely appalling - they might just as well not have bothered releasing the damn thing! If this is the current 'standard' of EIV discs, I won't be touching any of them until I know for sure they're the 'real deal'.

I wonder if their BD version of BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN is the same? That one's listed as 'Full HD 1080' on the packaging, along with a 129m running time (it should be 134m), though I know better than to trust such listings. Same goes for THE CROW. Hell, maybe all their HD releases are the same?...

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
This is good news in some ways

It shows that, unlike HD-DVD, Blu-ray at least supports 1920x1080 at 50i!

So if a TV programme was recorded at that rate (or 25p?) then that would be the rate to put it on to disc.

I wonder what would happen if this disc or similar discs was played in the US, assuming it was region free, as they cannot generally accept 50hz content can they?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Does Entertainment in Video have a website? I Googled for one and came up empty.

I'd like to e-mail these guys and ask them what's going on!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Good luck getting hold of EIV, that's all I'm sayin'. Worthless *******s! It's even worse that New Line actually thinks they're okay.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 /forum/post/12993154

But Shoot 'Em Up lists 7.1 DTS MA and only has 5.1 DTS and the bit rate on the video is lower than New Line's disc, EIV are crappy all over.

Death Sentence looks great on BRD but this butcherd UK disc is beyond a Joke

I have no issues with the UK disc, it looks and sounds great, as it should. It also has the PiP track which isn't mentioned on the cover. The bit-rate is PLENTIFUL. Watch the movie, not the meter, guy!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke /forum/post/13015537

I have no issues with the UK disc, it looks and sounds great, as it should. It also has the PiP track which isn't mentioned on the cover. The bit-rate is PLENTIFUL. Watch the movie, not the meter, guy!

I'd enjoy it more in 24p, thanks very much.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersoga /forum/post/13022535

I'd enjoy it more in 24p, thanks very much.

I'm sure you're aware of the work around regarding New Line's U.S. releases, eh? Nudge, nudge!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Region B locked.

·
Banned
8,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke /forum/post/13015537

Check the video size and the actual bit rate, Guy !

Do not assume

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I am not at all surprised. EIV are an utter joke and make my blood boil.

I wish they'd go bankrupt and stop taking the rights to so many films better companies could release instead. Let me see:

1. The only UK only studio to consistently use BD Region Coding.

2. A complete lack of HD Audio support, they re-use the DD5.1/DTS from their DVDs.

3. Sub-par Picture Quality.

4. Absolutely atrocious cover art quality. I've seen bootlegs that have a more professional cover. You guys would be amazed at how bad some of them are. They're supposed to be a professional outfit. Check out this cover for their Crow SE DVD/BD (click to enlarge):

Thankfully in most cases their films are already released by decent American studios. I only own 2-3 EIV DVDs (such as the uncut History of Violence, cut in America) as I despise them!

It's more reason for me to go Region A and stick to New Line releases instead (most EIV releases are New Line films). I'm not that bothered I won't be able to buy any of their Region B BDs as they're so awful anyway.

EIV just die and do us all a favour!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
There is also this on their Crow BD (currently the only BD/HD-DVD worldwide):
Quote:
I am not very happy as this disk will not play in 1080i, it will only play in standard def. This will only play in 1080 via HDMI and not component. Could this be one of those awfull disks that are encrypted so that you have to view it over an HDMI cable instead of component.

Also mpeg2 so image is really grainy and I would go as far as to say this is the worst looking movie I have on BD
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=13580

·
Registered
282 Posts
As I understand it, THE CROW is also encoded at 1080i on EIV's Blu-ray disc, which means it's probably sped-up, with all attendant audio issues. What a complete waste of time!

Recently bought WHITE NOISE: THE LIGHT on DVD from EIV. The film was shot in Super 35 and screened theatrically at 2.39:1. Universal has distribution rights in the US and a couple of European countries, and they appear to be the only distrib to render the film at 2.35:1 for home video - everyone else must suffer a cropped/altered 1.78:1 version.

Three guesses which one EIV used?...

(This, despite the fact the deleted/extended scenes in the supplemental section are clearly framed at 2.35:1!)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts