AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to have about a 14' viewing distance and will be primarily watching HD shows on TV and occasional 1080p footage.


Seems like the 151FD will have a bit better quality but the 65v10 is larger and the Internet connection feature seems like it'd be useful.


Any thoughts/things I should consider before buying as prices are probably going to be pretty similar?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
From what I could gather, the 151FD has a significantly better picture quality and color accuracy (not to mention contrast and, if properly calibrated, light output).


Nevertheless, if 14ft is your unchangeable viewing distance, I would recommend the 65V10 out of size alone for 1080p material.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, that's more like the maximum viewing distance. If the quality is a lot better I'd definitely prefer the 151FD.


Looks like for a 60" optimal viewing distance will be about 7-8'?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
I watch my 60" from 10ft and I am pretty fine with that. If you can "afford" 8ft, all the better for HD content, I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
I struggled with the same question for a couple of months and ultimately bought the 141FD over the 65V10. While the picture quality is, quite simply, amazing, I still have some regrets over sacrificing screen size. I also had the additional issue of having to permanently mount all but the front speakers in my 7.1 system,and this limited my viewing distances somewhat to optimize my audio, which is fairly high end.


Home theater for most of us is always about tradeoffs. Either way, you will be happy with your buying decision. Pioneer makes an incredible display, Panasonic makes a very good display but with more size. I doubt any of your friends will refuse to visit regardless of your choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
I just got my 151FD after comparing it with the 50" V10 (no 65" in stock) at my local Magnolia store. The V10 was actually pretty close in picture quality. Here's how it shook out for me.

The V10:

Pros

- Shadow detail

- Color richness

- Size

Cons

- Noticeable green push

- Black level


151FD:

Pros

- DEEP blacks

- VIVID, rich colors

- Great skin tones

- Pure mode looks great out of the box

Cons

- 5" smaller than V10 65"

- On closeout (warranty concerns down the road)


I ended up with the 151FD and couldn't be happier. It is quite simply a reference-level TV in every respect.


Good luck with your choice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,422 Posts
I was debating the pio 600m 60" or the 65v10. although im sure the picture was/is a bit better on the pio i just could not pull the trigger.


should be picking up my 65" this weekend.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,187 Posts
The comparison leaves off the large energy consumption difference

The Panasonic picture washes-out even in moderate light

Still a few reports of flicker in the Panasonic

The Panasonic is brighter (but if it washes out, then it is not as useful as it should be)


I went with the Samsung 58" 860 because it looked just as good as the Kuros with more pop - clarity, color and rejection of ambient light. The secret sauce (Kung-Fu Panda notwithstanding) is the Samsung expands the six primary and secondary color saturation points to make the pictures are a bit livelier. Sadly, there is no 65" but the 58" is less than half the price of the 60" 151. Put another way its $3000 for the additional two inches.

For very dark rooms, a front projector with superior contrast (JVC) offers the best large scale impact (100+ inches) and viewing experience.


While all plasmas have power supply buzzing, this year’s Samsungs are worse than average. Mine will need to be quiet, else its being returned.


A 58" Z1 is coming sometime too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun /forum/post/17159442


The comparison leaves off the large energy consumption difference

The Panasonic picture washes-out even in moderate light

Still a few reports of flicker in the Panasonic

The Panasonic is brighter (but if it washes out, then it is not as useful as it should be)


I went with the Samsung 58" 860 because it looked just as good as the Kuros with more pop - clarity, color and rejection of ambient light. The secret sauce (Kung-Fu Panda notwithstanding) is the Samsung expands the six primary and secondary color saturation points to make the pictures are a bit livelier. Sadly, there is no 65" but the 58" is less than half the price of the 60" 151. Put another way its $3000 for the additional two inches.

For very dark rooms, a front projector with superior contrast (JVC) offers the best large scale impact (100+ inches) and viewing experience.


While all plasmas have power supply buzzing, this year’s Samsungs are worse than average. Mine will need to be quiet, else its being returned.


A 58" Z1 is coming sometime too.

I must have missed all this-


"""Still a few reports of flicker in the Panasonic"""

The Panasonic picture washes-out even in moderate light

Still a few reports of flicker in the Panasonic

The Panasonic is brighter (but if it washes out, then it is not as useful as it should be)



where did you read this-


thanks-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Since I posted a response a few weeks ago, I had my 141FD calibrated by D-Nice. If a quality image is what you are looking for, go with the Pio while you still have the chance. Picture is absolutely stunning in ISF mode. I moved my seating up by about 18" - problem solved.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury /forum/post/17159459


I must have missed all this-


"""Still a few reports of flicker in the Panasonic"""

The Panasonic picture washes-out even in moderate light

Still a few reports of flicker in the Panasonic

The Panasonic is brighter (but if it washes out, then it is not as useful as it should be)



where did you read this-


thanks-

This implies I'm a parrot in protective custody with nuthing much to do! (If I was a Document Maker this might be true).


Seriously, there is so much spin; I'm forced to gather from a wide variety of sources and frequent first-hand viewing. All data needs to be correlated with other multiple independent sources. I have no inside track or ulterior motives.


In fact I relish playing off products against each other using our competitive capitalistic system. It is what manufactures don't tell you, which is most important. Take edge lit LED/LCD displays - what a rabbit hole.. Worse performance yet higher prices.



May the best picture quality win! Incidentally, do not trust me, rather stop reading AVS and go observe for yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
As a V10 owner (58) who thought long and hard about a Pioneer -- I have zero regrets not going with Pioneer.


Get the v10 and spend the difference on a couple of plane tickets to hawaii or something.


Any PQ differences are either very subtle, or psychologically enhanced by paying for a Pioneer. (Expensive wine almost always tastes better until you hide the labels.) There is no difference if you are not comparing side by side anyway.


The concensus is Pioneer is the "winner" but nobody is saying V10 is horrible.


Plus, the market has spoken. If the Pioneer were worth the price premium enough people would pay it to make the market position sustainable. They did not, and it is gone.



65 inches of excellent is better than 60 inches of really excellent no matter how you turn it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by josthus /forum/post/17162103


As a V10 owner (58) who thought long and hard about a Pioneer -- I have zero regrets not going with Pioneer.


Get the v10 and spend the difference on a couple of plane tickets to hawaii or something.


Any PQ differences are either very subtle, or psychologically enhanced by paying for a Pioneer. (Expensive wine almost always tastes better until you hide the labels.) There is no difference if you are not comparing side by side anyway.


The concensus is Pioneer is the "winner" but nobody is saying V10 is horrible.


Plus, the market has spoken. If the Pioneer were worth the price premium enough people would pay it to make the market position sustainable. They did not, and it is gone.



65 inches of excellent is better than 60 inches of really excellent no matter how you turn it.

The question is is 6o inches of the best better than 65 inches of very good - to me it was. At least until something better comes out, I know I did the very best I could. Nobody is saying the V10 is horrible. Indeed, it is very good, but it still has a way to go. By the way, this isn't a wine comparison - the distinction, although subtle, is very real.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Point of clarification please. By Panasonic V10 are you referring to the the Premier series TH-65VX100U? I saw the 50 as well as the 65 today at my local dealer who used to carry the Kuro and I thought it looked great. Especially liked the anti-glare front surface of the display and contrast level. If the KURO is the standard of excellence shouldn't it be compared to the Panasonic Premier series?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts

Quote:
And objectively verifiable.

Stats please? I truly want to understand specific measurements showing the difference in quality. BTW, It's well known that price and scarcity have a significant impact on quality perceptions. It doesn't just happen with wine. There's also social proof at work, which is why people ask other people what to buy. What's best is heavily influenced by what the next guy says is best. So let's see the actual numbers.


Then there's still the original size question. Even if it's 60 inches vs. 60 inches, some people are happier having one expensive TV, and others are happier having two "very good" tvs for the same price as the one expensive TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,832 Posts
Seen the 65 panny next to a 63 samsung and the samsung handled espn text scrolling to the side much better than the panasonic. I've never seen a panasonic 65 that impressed me to the point i wanted it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
For me, there's something special about owning the Pio's. The Kuro's will go down in history as being legendary. If you want something special go for the Pio. I saw the 65v10 and although the size was great, it was just like any ol' TV. I debated hard and ended up with a 600m and am very pleased. I am no videophile, but wanted to own one of the best brands in Plasma!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido /forum/post/17165313


For me, there's something special about owning the Pio's. The Kuro's will go down in history as being legendary. If you want something special go for the Pio. I saw the 65v10 and although the size was great, it was just like any ol' TV. I debated hard and ended up with a 600m and am very pleased. I am no videophile, but wanted to own one of the best brands in Plasma!


I disagree. not that the Kuro is king, just the go down in HIStory part. the Kuro will simply just fade away.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top