AVS Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I use 5 DECAs on 4 extenders and a couple of PCs and smart TVs with no problems. As long as DECA network is isolated from CATV, you'll be fine. It will start to get saturated running more than 4 simultaneously, which I rarely do.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Okay. So what about frequency overlap with U-verse?

We're moving tomorrow and since the COAX is already in the house we're moving my fiance's U-verse for TV until I get the network issues figured out and my CableCARD tuner is up and running for a whole house solution. Right now in our new home we have COAX to almost every room but Ethernet is non-existent. If I can use MoCA or DeCA that would be fine but I'm thinking that I want to have a Gig network rather than 100Mbps as there will be 4 or 5 extenders and/or Rokus going and probably up to three at a time with additional network traffic too, although my main PC and HTPC will be connected directly to a Gig Ethernet switch that will be connected directly to my Gig Router which will in turn be connected to my Cable Modem.

I want to ditch the U-verse ASAP for several reasons like cost and pixelization but she needs TV right NOW. I'd be willing to wait a month to have it all hooked up correctly but you know the old adage.. Happy wife; Happy life.

Our other option is to pull Ethernet and I'll be checking out the possiblity of doing that this weekend. Upstairs should be no problem as we can access the top plates of the walls, drill and fish it in but on the ground floor it is a whole other animal. Plus, the internet/CATV point of demarcation is either in the garage on the ground floor or in the guest room / office on the ground floor so getting the network run UP from there to the second floor is an issue.

So.. All that said, DeCA, MoCA or good old fashioned Cat6?

·
Registered
15,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
^^^
Sounds like you already answered you own question. Three extenders at once is getting close to 100MB, IIRC. If you need gigabit, Cat5/6 is your only option.

I've read that Uverse is incompatible with Moca anyway, and by extension, probably Deca too.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Dammit!

Now I need to plan out an installation!! Oh, and DO the installation!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Dammit!

Now I need to plan out an installation!! Oh, and DO the installation!
Sammy2, since you mentioned that you are going to get CableCard and Internet, the cheapest Moca devices I've found out there are these: http://www.meritline.com/mygica-coma-cable-kit---p-68646.aspx (It's weird that they want to charge you more to buy 2 at a time, but I just added 1 to the cart and then increased the quantity to 2 and paid $73 each set)

I bought 2 pairs and have been running them flawlessly for nearly 2 months now. Similar to you I'm using a cablecard tuner (HDHomeRun Prime) and Win7 Media Center on my PC and I have 360 extenders at each of my TV's.

Also Motorola now has a Moca kit that you can catch on sale at NewEgg sometimes at $70 for the pair: http://slickdeals.net/f/7095126-net...esktop-switch-for-19-99-ac-more-fs-newegg-com

The only thing with the ones from Meritline you'll see that you have to set the switch back to position "1" as someone stated in the reviews. Luckily I saw that because at first it wasn't working for me, there wasn't anything in the "manual" referring to this either lol.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Okay. So what about frequency overlap with U-verse?

We're moving tomorrow and since the COAX is already in the house we're moving my fiance's U-verse for TV until I get the network issues figured out and my CableCARD tuner is up and running for a whole house solution. Right now in our new home we have COAX to almost every room but Ethernet is non-existent. If I can use MoCA or DeCA that would be fine but I'm thinking that I want to have a Gig network rather than 100Mbps as there will be 4 or 5 extenders and/or Rokus going and probably up to three at a time with additional network traffic too, although my main PC and HTPC will be connected directly to a Gig Ethernet switch that will be connected directly to my Gig Router which will in turn be connected to my Cable Modem.

I want to ditch the U-verse ASAP for several reasons like cost and pixelization but she needs TV right NOW. I'd be willing to wait a month to have it all hooked up correctly but you know the old adage.. Happy wife; Happy life.

Our other option is to pull Ethernet and I'll be checking out the possiblity of doing that this weekend. Upstairs should be no problem as we can access the top plates of the walls, drill and fish it in but on the ground floor it is a whole other animal. Plus, the internet/CATV point of demarcation is either in the garage on the ground floor or in the guest room / office on the ground floor so getting the network run UP from there to the second floor is an issue.

So.. All that said, DeCA, MoCA or good old fashioned Cat6?

Next-gen Powerline Ethernet is right around the corner. Gigabit speed with MIMO. I think the current limit is something like 15 endpoints + 1 connected to the router.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In a similar boat...moved to home that has cable outlets in the rooms, but only one ethernet outlet.

I'm planning to install an OTA Antenna in the attic. Questions:

1) Is there a compatibility issue with DECA?
2) How would I need to bring in that signal for distribution over the coax network?

NOTE: This will not carry satellite or cable TV signal. This will strictly be for OTA signal and internet (e.g. media stream) distribution to various devices.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Next-gen Powerline Ethernet is right around the corner. Gigabit speed with MIMO. I think the current limit is something like 15 endpoints + 1 connected to the router.
Read about installation and trouble shooting issues for powerline ethernet. Any word on if those are addressed / improved with this next generation?

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Read about installation and trouble shooting issues for powerline ethernet. Any word on if those are addressed / improved with this next generation?

The stuff you've read goes back several years ago to the first iteration of PE. Things have improved a lot on the stability front. Unless you have a very unstable home electrical system, you won't encounter any problems beyond the occasional "plug it back in" reset. That's as bad as it's ever been for me apart from an adapter getting fried by a nearby lightning strike. Even homes that are several decades old can use it without difficulty if the wiring is sound. The next generation launches in a few weeks and brings Gigabit speed with MIMO thanks to finally using the "ground" wiring. TrendNet launches their new products next month while Netgear and the other players will probably launch next year.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The stuff you've read goes back several years ago to the first iteration of PE. Things have improved a lot on the stability front. Unless you have a very unstable home electrical system, you won't encounter any problems beyond the occasional "plug it back in" reset. That's as bad as it's ever been for me apart from an adapter getting fried by a nearby lightning strike. Even homes that are several decades old can use it without difficulty if the wiring is sound. The next generation launches in a few weeks and brings Gigabit speed with MIMO thanks to finally using the "ground" wiring. TrendNet launches their new products next month while Netgear and the other players will probably launch next year.
Perhaps old on the PE.

Will keep an eye out on the new gen to see feedback.
http://www.cnet.com/news/trendnet-unveils-two-new-speedy-powerline-1200-av2-adapter-kits/

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Let's say I was in a legacy situation that had a lot of coax available, and cost prohibitive to install any additional cabling
due to ..stuffed conduits between buildings etc..any idea of what is theoretically possible distance wise? (assuming an ideal cable situation, impedance, Rg59 vs 6, Belden 1506a vs 1695a..etc...)

·
Registered
15,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Let's say I was in a legacy situation that had a lot of coax available, and cost prohibitive to install any additional cabling
due to ..stuffed conduits between buildings etc..any idea of what is theoretically possible distance wise? (assuming an ideal cable situation, impedance, Rg59 vs 6, Belden 1506a vs 1695a..etc...)
DirecTV says the max distance between any two DECA devices is around 250', but more might still work.

·
Registered
554 Posts
It was news to me, so figured I'd post the not-exactly-new info here...

DirecTV began offering a standard MoCA 2.0 (Band E) version of their DECA device back around June 2019, and it's available via SolidSignal. Just be aware that the "Gigabit" in any description of the product refers strictly to the Ethernet interface; the Ethernet interface is Gigabit but the MoCA chip is just standard MoCA 2.0, so the effective throughput is limited to 400 Mbps (500 Mbps in a 2-node-only "TURBO" setup).
And, to be clear, this device is NOT compatible with any retail MoCA adapter you'll find, as nearly all retail adapters operate in MoCA Band D.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts