904 Posts

·
Registered
3,825 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Why? Because of the way it looks or because of the T/S parameters? The ratio of Le to Re (transient performance is dictated by inductance performance [read this paper]) is properly good especially when you take into consideration how much linear and peak cone travel is capable by the driver.
For me, it's based off of the YouTubes where it's 95% people showing off the excursion (or the surround flapping around in slow motion) and that's the only way I have to "audition" them. The only good video I've seen is one of your's when you're
. The rest of the videos give me pause for an investment.

I wish I could interpret the T/S parameters to sound. I'll read that article and attempt due diligence to understand the technical implications. But I've never built a sub before.

I appreciate your input and will continue to learn.

·
Premium Member
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yup, saw this coming:p
am I trying to talk myself out of the subs? Or do I have no way to audition them and there is only one real good video that's not purely trying to show off the excursion (some in slow motion) or open air performance?

Literally that is the topic of this... Perhaps it should have been phased how do you audition DIY subs? Perhaps at a GTG which I would love to go to but there hasn't been one close to Wisconsin. Despite being indecisive in this investment. I'm generally a pretty well liked guy and eager to learn.

So did I come in here thinking I might not go with these subs after months of thinking these are the ones? Yes, absolutely. Did I come in here saying, I am not going with these? No. It was a combination of the YouTubes and the fact that Trimlocks build said that the clean sounding blew his 18's Ultimax out of the water.

I appreciate everyones comments and I really only have your experience to go off of. I am certainly not trying to be a jerk-store. I think some of the best advice out of this is "figure out what you want and we can help you", "[You] may just need to pull the trigger and I bet you'll be happy", "here's some articles to learn"

I want some subs that will smack and be very tight and sound good with my paradigm prestige fronts. Assuming I can build at 1 cuft box with all the internals the Magnum is an option. If I can't the HST's are my only option.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I was only poking/teasing you based on several posts where you all but chose the HST-11 to be your first build.....I wasn't trying to come across as attacking you;) By all means do what make you happy:) Looking forward to your build:)

BTW have you seen @Trimlock MBM build? Absolutely superb:D

·
Premium Member
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I was only poking/teasing you based on several posts where you all but chose the HST-11 to be your first build.....I wasn't trying to come across as attacking you;) By all means do what make you happy:) Looking forward to your build:)

BTW have you seen @Trimlock MBM build? Absolutely superb:D
thank you very much for clarifying! Sorry if I got defensive. It's such a big decision and I'm kind of a spaz about my home theater plans. Yeah, his build is the very reason that cast a shadow of doubt on the entire project! Particularly this quote:

I plugged them in finally. Only single channel off of the 3000dsp. I have to admit I had a "holy ****!" moment when I played AWOL Nation - Sail. The bass detail makes the um18 look like a piece of cow poop.
However then I heard notnyt say that "42fs is not really good for a sub"... more doubt!

I do think I'll go for mid-bass on the fronts and leave the extension on the back when, and if, I replace the LVX's (with an HST-18 and DIYSG box). Also, if I don't like the magnums I can use those for nearfield MBM's and use the same box for the HST-11's by eating copious amounts of crow!

·
Premium Member
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
keep in mind that by the time the surround and suspension of the hst-11 starts making noise, any other sub would be bottoming out or destroying itself.
For a lower excursion woofer that can be remedied by putting a HPF at tune and limiting the max wattage, correct? I looks like I would have to put a HPF at 35hz on the magnum at 600W

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
For me, it's based off of the YouTubes where it's 95% people showing off the excursion (or the surround flapping around in slow motion) and that's the only way I have to "audition" them. The only good video I've seen is one of your's when you're demo'ing your DO setup. The rest of the videos give me pause for an investment.

I wish I could interpret the T/S parameters to sound. I'll read that article and attempt due diligence to understand the technical implications. But I've never built a sub before.

I wish I had a video of it, but I ran my pair of 24's OB just laying on the floor for a while until I got around to finishing the enclosures... Mechanical noise with Nicks drivers really isn't a concern :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
but then you lose low frequency response. I think you better need to define the goals of what you want. 35hz is not gonna cut it for ht usage.
I want more punch up front the blend with my LCR's. I want it to blend well and be very "tight" (gun shots, etc...). I'd love low extension to saturate the room but I don't know if dual 1 cuft boxes will be able to do that. I'm also unsure that running -15dB MV with 6dB hot subs will be able to do that either.

Perhaps focusing on extension with a larger box (where my LVX12's are now) would be a better strategy as a phase 2. Then I wouldn't have box constraints and could put in an HST-18. In the interim, I could put a LPF the LVX's at 50Hz and use those for the low end. They are certainly larger boxes and dual ported (I have no doubt that an HST 11 with 2k watts would smash it). I could put it in dual port mode which lowers the overall volume but adds to the extension

I've posted a 0dB MV compression sweep from my LVX's (of course Room gain is factored in)

I've also posted a "projected" graph of how they'd work together

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Reactions: tjcinnamon

·
Premium Member
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
He also has 2 Magnum 12s for a buck twenty-five each;)

Reactions: tjcinnamon

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I wish I had a video of it, but I ran my pair of 24's OB just laying on the floor for a while until I got around to finishing the enclosures... Mechanical noise with Nicks drivers really isn't a concern :wink:

The Mach 5s ones are pretty damn quiet too. If I wasn't plugging the pole vent, you can pretty much only hear the air.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
For me, it's based off of the YouTubes where it's 95% people showing off the excursion (or the surround flapping around in slow motion) and that's the only way I have to "audition" them. The only good video I've seen is one of your's when you're demo'ing your DO setup. The rest of the videos give me pause for an investment.

Having an open motor helps a lot. Neo radial style motors with columns help a LOT with reducing any/all chuffing from the motor. Expensive to manufacture but it's a great motor layout. :)
Name of song?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
My MBM's will be blended with my LR, but they will also be blended with an 18 and eventually a second one.

I don't want to confuse you, these are great for listening and great for movies but if that's the lowest your system will play at you will miss a bunch of content on the HT front.

Don't get me wrong they sound amazing with movies that don't have a lot of low content (family movies) but they were pretty anemic for IP Man. That movie dramatizes fights through very deep bass and sudden punches, the fight with Mike Tyson was fairly lack luster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 62 Posts