AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Dell 2100MP projector that has a VGA input. It came with a component-to-VGA cable that lets me plug my DVD player in, but the cable is too short. I need something that's about 25 feet long.

Can anyone tell me where I can find such a cable? I do not want to get an extended, I would rather have a decent-quality single cable, but I don't want to spend several hundred dollars on one, so http://www.bettercables.com is not an option.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I figured out what search term to use in Google to find these things: "vga rca component cable". The hard part is figuring out the brand name or quality of these cables.

One name that pops up often is "Media Link", which may also be called Straightwire. Here's a picture: http://www.dtvcity.com/plasmacable/media-rca-vga.html .

There's also "Silver Link", which I think is the same as Media Link, just higher-end. Can anyone confirm that?

Also, why do some of these cables have 3 RCA connectors, and some of them have 5? What are the other 2? Can I just ignore them if my DVD player only has 3?

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
RGB is totally different than component video. Typically a VGA connector (or 5 BNCs) are for RGB video. Component video is a 3 RCA connection. Note that you cannot drive a RGB input with component video. Your projector _may_ be able to accept the component video signal through it's VGA connector but you should make sure (ask on the digital PJ area of this forum). In order to drive VGA with component you will need a transcoder (converts RGB to component and vice versa).

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
RGB comes in three forms, three cable (RGsB; sync on green), four cable (RGBS; composite sync.) and five cable (RGBHV; separate horizontal and vertical sync.). Component has the sync on the Y cable.

VGA is officially the five cable form of RGB. A component video to RGB transcoder usually gives you a choice of what kind of sync. you want to get out.

Only if the projector has a selection for Y/Pb/Pr input (never autoselected if the same input jacks are used) can you feed in component video without a transcoder and get a correct picture.

Regular VGA is 480p as is "progressive scan" NTSC. There are slight differences in timing after the end of one scan line and the beginning of the next (horizontal retrace), some projectors don't care, some can be tweaked to surmount any problems.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, my projecter has a VGA-shaped connector (15-pin). It also comes with a cable that plugs into this connector. I can then plug the other end of this cable into my DVD player. From what I can tell, there are no electronics on this cable.

So are you saying that my cable has a transcoder built in?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In other words, I can get any 3, 4-, or 5-connector RCA-to-VGA component cable? They should all work? How about this one ? It looks pretty good.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Those VGA breakout cables say BNC. Does that mean they have BNC connectors or RCA connectors? Picture shows RCA connector but diagram and description says BNC.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Second thought...

For the price of the PCCables breakout cable, you can still be money ahead if you wanted to be pure and cut the BNC connectors off, get some Canare true 75-ohm RCA solder-type connectors from Markertek.com, and put those on...

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Covermye, mind linking to those connectors? I cannot find anything that I'm sure would work for this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.