AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone just bought my first projector, Digital Galaxy 747, and yes I know this projector is not the "best of the best" buy I got it from the manufacture for $195 so I cant complain. Anyway I'm trying to decide on if I should go the DIY route for a screen or buy a screen. I'm looking for something that is either portable or retractable, need to get to my closet behind it, and 100' 4:3 display. I know most people go with 16:9 but I would rather go with the larger and be able to scale down to a 92' when i want to go 16:9. The projector has not the greatest contrast 800:1 so trying to decided if I should go white or gray screen. I have found a few cheap manual pull-down's but I am new to the projector game and don't know my a$$ from my elbows when it comes to these brands. I will mostly be using this for the occasional movie with the gf, so not much ambient light
Found provantage(dot)com from searching the forum. Would like to try and stay under/around $100 is possible. Again not looking for the best just decent enough. Any thought would be much appreciated.

The projector
digitalgalaxy.com.cn/e_80i_01(dot)html

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
I would suggest you look at your local Craigs list for a used screen. You can pick up a used 4:3 72" screen (maybe not a big as you want) for $25-$46 This would let you get your feat wet and probably give you a better picture than a much bigger screen. Remember Craig's list is a yard sale, just because they post it for $100 does not mean they won't take $40.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I have been checking craigslist and people don't seem to be too keen on wanting to separate the combo sales of projector/screen that they got going, and cant find anyone who is selling just the screen.

Was looking at DA-light, Elite, Draper, Monoprice,

This is what i found so far:

Elite Screens Manual Projector Screen MaxWhite 100" (4:3) White Casing for $56

Monoprice Electric Projection Screen (100 inch, 4:3) for $119

Vutec EV-MW6080D EconoPro Deluxe 100" 4:3 Manual Roll Down Screen for $107

Mustang SC-M100D4:3 100" Diagonal 4:3 Manual Projection Screen for $79

AccuScreen 800012 100" Diagonal 4:3 Manual Projection Screen for $79

Are any of these a good match-up for my projector, or should i try and go with a gray screen?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I just bought a screen on C.List for $80 that is manually retractable and I really like it. Make sure you expand your search to within a reasonable driving distance - I usually look around 70 miles from my house.

IMO - you are right on with a larger, more square screen (4:3). All 4:3 means is that the screen is taller than 16:9 or even wider format which allows you most flexibility zooming in or out to get biggest/best sized image for all the different movie and other content varying aspect ratios.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts