Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not affiliated with Dell

I've been looking for a $cheap$ PC to use as the basis for my HTPC and to play games on - and I ended up picking up a Dell Dimension 4550 from their refurbished site. I've bought their refurb stuff before (I have a Inspiron 8200 for work) but this was a good deal that I thought I'd spread the word.

Disclaimer - I've found their refurb stuff to be quite reliable, as have a few of my friends. Your milage may vary.

Ok - the sound/video isn't what I want (it'll come next, unless someone wants to make a dough-nation), but this is what I'm using as my base:

Dimension(r) 4550 Series: Pentium(r) 4 Processor at 2.4GHz w/ 533MHz system & 512K L2 Cache, Int. Sound/NIC

128 MB DDR SDRAM at 333MHz

1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive

30 GB EIDE Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

Microsoft(r) Windows XP Home
{other misc software I deleted}

40X/10X/40X CDRW Drive

QuietKey Keyboard

Logitech PS2 Mouse

Shipping Material

Sub-Total $245.00

Shipping $99.00

·
Registered
114 Posts
sounds reasonable. is there a link or something for the refurb site? thanks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dell dot com > Home & Home Office

"Refurbished Systems" should be in the grey bar at the top

Teaberry - what do you think of that IBM Keyboard. Not familiar with that one. I got the MS wireless (no bluetooth) which claims 6ft, but I seem to be getting 8+ feet as long is the angle is good to the receiver-thingy. Haven't had it long enough to talk about battery life yet, so we'll see about that.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Ummmm... good deal? Maybe you guys know about some rockin' deals I haven't heard about, but there's no way in hell you could even buy the pieces for that price. OS, processor, hard drive, and CDRW would probably cost that - then there's the case, power supply, video card, sound card, kb/mouse, floppy, and RAM. If you can make use of most everything, that seems like a steal... much better than what I've seen. Sometimes, I look at the refurb area and the stuff seems so pricey, I wonder why people don't just buy new.

SC

·
Registered
463 Posts
Absolutely. I was checking Compusa's sale flyer this weekend and the components were much more on sale than a similar DELL I bought a few weeks ago after rebate.. There are some very good prices now @ small business (sales tax in most states). Check out www.techbargains.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would suggest checking Ebay resellers for Dell products. They tend to have unopened Dell configurations for really good deals. All about finding the right reseller there though. But last check there were a ton of Dell systems for around that price.

My HTPC is a Dell Poweredge 1600SC I bought off a reliable ebay seller for just under $800.

2.8ghz Xeon on a dual processor capable mobo

256mb PC2100 ECC DDR ram

2x80gb IDE drives

6xPCI slots (2x33,2x66,2x100)

Room for a ton of more hdd's (important to me as I like to save lots of transport streams)

Onboard SCSI controller, Rage video xl video

cd, keyboard, blah blah blah.

Only downside to mine is

1) its a server tower and so massive. Weighs about 75lbs.

2) no sound card

3) ECC ram costs more than regular ram.

Probably not selling that exact setup anymore, but there's still tons of good dell systems on ebay. just don't see a reason to buy a refurb when you can get an unopened original at the same price.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Dells Latest Promotion:

Dell home systems, use coupon at checkout

1931210F3FE0 $75 OFF REFURB DIMENSION

E00465DFB660 $75 OFF REFURB INSPIRON

Codes expire 5/2/03

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Be very careful about buying from Dell Small business. They seem to be cracking down on individuals. Main problems observed are canceled orders and worthless rebate checks due to the fact that the check is made out to the business name and not you.

·
Registered
850 Posts
David:

You must be very lucky to get it at that price. Going through the Refurbished systems, sorting by price, the cheapest Dimension 4550 is $515.

For others that are looking for Dell Deals, monitor the Anandtech Hot Deals forum - usually about once every 8 weeks or so, someone will come up with a Dell combination that is just really really cheap. A week ago, when the moon alignment was right, you can get the same system as Dave's, but with 2.6 GHz P4 and 60 GB HD, for $370. ($100 mail-in rebate).

For those that have built their computers in the past - the Dell computer is cheap, but it won't run anywhere close to what you can build. They can say it uses the higher bandwidth RAM or other, but I'm finding my self-built Athlon 2100 to be faster than the 2.4 GHz P4 that I got from Dell.

YMMV.

·
Registered
12 Posts
With the coupon 1931210F3FE0 $75 OFF REFURB DIMENSION you can get:

a refurb Dimension 4550 P4 2400

Memory: 256 MB DDR SDRAM at 333MHz

Floppy Drive: 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive

Hard Disk Drive: 80 GB EIDE Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

Video: 128 MB DDR ATI RADEON 9700 TX with TV Out

Modem: V.92 Data/Fax/Voice WinModem

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Live! Digital Sound Card

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows XP Home

DVD Drive: DVD+RW/+R with CD-RW

After discounts & sales tax $670 Delivered!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Here's a tip for shipping.

Open your own account online at UPS and when you check out at Dell choose "use my shipping account".

I bought a Dell 8250 back in December and the UPS shipping cost me $13.50.

Clay

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good deal.

You'll find the deals at Anandtech and Techbargains, but I prefer the Hot Deals forum at **************.

Here is the box I ordered last week:

Pentium® 4 Processor at 2.53GHz with 533MHz system bus/ 512K L2 Cache

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

Memory 128MB DDR SDRAM at 333MHz

Hard Drive 60GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive

Network Interface Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet

48x Max CD-ROM Drive

Video Cards 32MB ATI® Rage™ Ultra Graphics Card

After a rebate and cash back from Fatwallet, I'll pay about $320.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The company I work for is a authorized Dell reseller and I agree 100% about the performance of Dell computers compared to machines I personally build. Last week I was on the phone with a Dell tech talking about performance issues with a clients computer. He mentioned that in older machines, two months or older, you had to run a maxtor utility to disable drive performance settings. Dell enables the slower setting to make their machines run less noisy. In the newer machines and even in some laptops you can enter the BIOS and change the HD setting there. These greatly improved the performance of the machines i've tested it on so you might try it also.

·
Registered
525 Posts
flatlander_1966,

have you received your dell yet. i just ordered the same configuration. can you tell me if it ships with the ati dongle for component video. if not, i need to order one.

luke911,

can you provide details for enabling better performance on these machines.

thanks.

ananth

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 4550 came yesteday. I picked up a 512MB PC270 DDR locally for $75 giving me a total of 640MB. I'm not finished setting it up yet, but it works as advertised. RHLinux 9 is going on tonight.

It is a quiet machine - more so than I expected. I would trade some performance for quiet since it will eventually go to my HT.

budiman - Yeah, I was lucky. I've seen a couple exact configurations pop up since then, but they only last on the site for a few minutes. There are still some great deals on there, that I see in th $300's. That ************** deal for a dell 2350 with a free 15" flatpanel looks like a good one too. I would have liked to have gotten an auxilliary screen to look at when I am not projecting..

·
Registered
235 Posts
(My first post on this forum, here goes...)

I work in the IT industry, software side, we always have the latest-and-greatest Dells around my office and I've also built lots of high-end gaming systems myself; when it came time to get a PC for my dad, I had him order a Dell refurb, great deal for the money and probably the most reliable budget PC you can get.

But the posts about Dell's lackluster performance (at least in mid- and low-range machines) are all correct. Also, you need to be concerned that the Dell box may not be as upgradeable/configurable as a homebrew setup. Their BIOS'es are very conservative on features and performance and some of their cases are a little funky to add video or other cards to. But then again, for the price you're talkin' about, you could take the components from the Dell and put 'em in another case and still just about come out ahead!

Good luck with it.

·
Banned
143 Posts
I got tired at looking at those deals on ebay from Dell resellers -HD too small, not enough memory, all nVidia video cards- and I just bought instead a brand new 4550 directly from Dell.

- 2.53Ghz

- 512MB Memory

- Radeon 9700 TX w/DVI

- 200GB HD w/DataBurst Cache

- 16 Max DVD-ROM

- 4x DVD+RW/+Rw/CD-RW

Cost: $1,323 shipped.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.