AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a screen for my LS-110. I am looking for a good Home Theater Store with knowledgeable sales people in the Metro Detroit area where I could demo a couple of screens. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
None.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeff;

“None†Whoa this sounds disillusioned…..

Larry;

Thanks! Did you mean those guys?

AUDIO VIDEO ALTERNATIES

32790 Woodward Ave.

Royal Oak, MI 48073

Phone 248 549 3100

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Axel...don't know if Jeff takes issue with (1)"good Home Theater store" or (2)"knowledgeable sales people" or (3)both but I sometimes share his point of view...primarily on the second.

Two stores where you can see (demo??) screens are:

Audio Video Alternatives (per Larry) in Royal Oak and Pecar in Troy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't know how knowledgable they are but The Gramaphone carries Stewart screens.

The Gramophone

33535 Woodward Avenue

Birmingham, MI 48009

248-642-9777

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks DLR.

I guess I will have a busy weekend cruising the neighborhood.

I hope Jeff can be proven wrong ;)

Axel

·
Registered
900 Posts
I dont think Gramaphone has pj"s. The problem with Detriot area is that They are not that great. If you go to AV Alternative ask for the owner. I forgot his name. They are nice but ,in my opinon, think they are elite. They do not discount. I listened to a Lexicon mc-12 with Sharp 9000 on older Stewart screen with Lexicon amp ,i think and the pic. was very good but sound was terrrible with Psb system. Then they tried to push me to a all Meridian system but I had to go. I used to live in Oak Park and come to visit every 2 months or so.

They were pushing the Sharp over the Runco dlp. They said that they just put up the Sharp without any calibration at all. I personally have a probelm with this. If they are so elite then why not take the time to calibrate the system??? Why put such a good system with such a bad set up???

They tend to treat you by the way you dress that day!!Try this theory out yourself.

Jeff is right,Detroit area is not that good. Ann Arbor is probably better.

But you cant beat the coneies or custard!!!!!

Larry Kosova

Tranplanted Detroiter

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Sorry, but unfortunately Jeff is right..............

Having been in this hobby for so many years I have grown to know the aforementioned stores and people quite well and have purchased from most:

A/V alternatives (Royal Oak), Sam (owner) and John Bolton (traveling salesman) are probably most knowledgeable of the whole lot but compared to most here on the forum are limited in their knowledge. They have a good inventory. If you visit, make sure you talk with John B and then report back here. He is one of a kind. Meridian, Runco, Dwin, M&K (?)

Rick Howard's Gramophone (B'Ham) is more of an ABC appliance for home theater gear. Marty Grossman and John Oravec, though not really familiar with high end, are honest guys with modest knowledge. Proceed, Runco (soon to be a retailer), JVC DILA (G-20 in show room), Revel.

Jeff at AVIO (Troy) is snobbish and impossible to deal with. Crestron, Runco, Sharp). He used to be at A/V Showcase (nice store) in Ann Arbor (my college town)!

Audio Video System (Rochester) has dumbed down their inventory of 5 years ago to carry the standard fare of LCDs, Yamaha receivers, etc and mid to lower end stuff.

Pecars of Rochester, on the other hand, is making a turn around. They clearly have the best displays (screens and PJs) and will be doubling the size of their store in the next year. Also, they will be adding a JBL Synthesis sytem with a flapship Runco DLP in a new, custom designed room. The manager (name?) is pretty knowledgeabe but the others are young but eager. Sharp, Stewart, Seleco HT-300 in main room with Stweart Electri-mask.

Almas (Royal Oak) - they hate home theater and those who pursue it. Go in and ask John (long time sales guy there - 15-20 years) and he'll go into a 1 hour monologue on why HT is a waste.

Ensemble (Farmington). The three principles that own the place are all knowledgeable (I've only met one). They have an impressive show room including a tiered large demo room with a Seleco CRT, Seleco DLP. Revel? and other higher brands. I'd recommend this place.

Audio Dimensions (Royal Oak). Harry has been here for years and though his place is about 800 sq. ft. he is very knowledgeable about the electronics. Harry is an Aerial, Theta, Bryston, Magnepan, Pass dealer amongst other higher end brands.

Granted, these places are better than nothing. Most demo mid-fi home theater equipment but the sales people (besides Bolton) lack passion and knowledge of the hobby.

I feel like I am sounding pompous and like a know-it-all with all these iterations but it would be nice to have a store that employed enthusiasts. That's not too much to ask, is it???????

For now, us Detroiters have to come here for the answers. Not a bad alternative.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeff;

Whoa, it sounds like you have checked ALL of them out over the years.

Thanks for the overview.

I am so happy I found this great forum! Jeff, you are right this is THE place.

Axel

·
Registered
900 Posts
Jeff ,

I was getting a/v alternitave and Dimensions mixed up but agree with your statememts. My brother in law got all his gear from my connections in Chicago because no Detriot dealer would deal on anything. So they lost several big sales!!! I agree all the mentioned dealer are just not into it at all. At Dimensions it was like I was doing them the favor. They did not know I was from Chicago. When I went in wearing a suit,one day, I was treated totally differently. I hate that!!

I will be in Detroit in two weeks, maybe I will give Ensemble a try. I just want to compare pj"s. I have more time in Detroit because I have family to watch the kids!!!

Larry Kosova

·
Registered
32 Posts
wow! too bad JB (john bolton) has flown the coop!

I'm a pecar Salesman that has most of John Bolton's fire insde!(?)

We have turned ourselves into a Runco Reference dealer, with lots of changes remaining, We want to be the best home theater shop in the area! My name is matt and let me show you what I can do for you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.