Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,

I just bought a Harmon Kardon AVR 520 reciever at sound city.com, for a reasonably good price, after doing a brief research and with my budget limits. I am now looking for a decent quality 5.1 speaker system to make my home theatre system. I am not the greatest audiophile, but I have this long time carving to listen to my favorite composer's (by name Ilaiyaraja from India) mind boggling compositions in a decent system.

Budget 500 to 1000$, I originally planned to go for one of those high end lifstyle Bose series ( 2000-3000$ range), after reading the trashing and bashings about Bose system, in different forums changed my mind.

Please give suggestions.

Any speciific ones in that budget range with equivalent or better quality than Bose acoustimass modules will be great.

Thanks in advance,

Happy Holidays

Jingcha

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want to use these speaker system mainly for music and HT. I am not at all familiar with the some of the rare yet considered great speakers from the entire list of the systems listed in another thread.

I would appreciate if somebody could help me in choosing and finalizing my decision. Size is another factor, I am not considering big size speakers, smaller the better.

Thanks again

Jingcha

·
Registered
130 Posts
Good to see that Soundcity.com is still doing good business. About 3 years ago I bought some Atlantic Tech 162PBM Subwoofers there that were on sale for $150 each. That was a good price for powered subs back then.

Sorry if that has nothing to do with your question though. If your not afraid of getting your feet wet, you could by some speaker parts from like PartsExpress and put together high quality speakers for about $100-$150 each. Even Madisound sells complete kits for $300-$500 that use very good parts like the Vifa kits .

Of course there are also the bazillions of commercially available brands out there too, and I'm sure someone will mention Swan's Diva and Rocket line, and since you mentioned music first I am obligated to mention the Magnepan MMG's , these are the best speakers I have heard at $500 /pr and I will likely only trully replace mine with bigger maggies. There not small, but they are extremely unique.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Westrock,

I looked at the Magnepan MMG's , I liked them at the very first sight. Now the site has very limited info, as I am looking for a 5.1 surround system does u or anybody suggest the MGM's surround systems for this AVR 520.

Thanks on the other info about building my own speakers, I am not too technically knowledgeble to assemble them on my own.

Thanks

Jingcha

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
All speaker purchases should start with a budget and some idea of what your room would accept. Do you want 4 towers, a center and a sub? Do you want small satellite speakers, maybe in-walls? Once you know your budget and what size speakers you're looking for, go audition them at a couple of stores. Most, if not all stores have 30 day "no hassle" return policies. You need to hear the speakers in your environment.

If your budget is $1000 for all speakers that's going to tough to do. Companies like Axiom make decent systems that may be close to that range. Paradigm Atoms or Titans. Maybe a set of JBL S38's all around with a PB12 sub.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Joe

My budget is max: 1000$, I am looking for small satellite speakers like the Bose ones, and specifically like 5.1 HT system with a Sub,

thanks in advance

Jingcha

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think the energy encores are very nice speakers. You can get them for around $1000 if you look around on the internet.

·
Registered
499 Posts
One of my local audio shops likes to call the Acoustic Energy Aego 5 the "Bose killer" because of the superior sound quality in the same size and for less money. I haven't heard them myself, but I have seen them and they are very small. I think they run about $800 for a 5.1 set. http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/pro...dspeakers.html

It looks like there are several dealer in NY who sell them, so you can take a listen http://www.aegoproject.org/buy.htm

Personally I have a set of Ascend Acoustics speakers on my AVR-520, but they aren't tiny and that seems to be important to you.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
if you can swing the size of the Ascends, thats what i'd recommend also.

you can get the 5 speakers and a Hsu VTF-2 sub for close to $1100.

i had them hooked up to a 520 for about a month, and they are a fine match.

significantly better sound than the Bose.

if you can get to a Borders or Barns & Noble, the current issue of $ensible Sound has a very complimentary review of them.

the are very good with HT, but they are exceptional with music.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Umm.. you really shouldn't expect much from a set of satellites...

umm... mission has that new satellite speaker package.. forgot what its called... it's exactly 1000 bucks. give that a try.

www.denon.com (denon distributes missions in N. America)

The Energy Encore might do the job for you... it's about 1000 bucks as well... www.energy-speakers.com

But as i said, you shouldn't really expect much from satellites. They're more for home theater. than for listening. But if you really wanna just listen to recordings, get a nice pair of bookshelves and a subwoofer or a floorstander instead..

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I'm currently auditioning the JBL S38's and they are very, very nice. I have heard rumors that they were designed with the HK warm sound in mind(same parent company).

A set of 4 would be less than $600 (or $900 for 6).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all of you. It's really very informative, and now that I am lost and bit more confused with being really very strict about specifications, I will have to decide between the MGM magnapens and the Aego P 05 ( I liked them on picture, I will give it a try next week)

My living room is not very spacious but not very small either,

GreatBop said

" But if you really wanna just listen to recordings, get a nice pair of bookshelves and a subwoofer or a floorstander instead.."

Please could you give some info on my budget range for these kind of speakers

Thanks

Jingcha

·
Registered
575 Posts
jingcha,

I have a Magnepan HT setup.

First let me tell you that the sound is outstanding. Prior to purchasing my current setup, I had a pair of MG-1's. I am a big fan of Magnepan's because their ability to create "big sound", to naturally reproduce a wide range of instruments and their relative efficiency - performance that rivals electrostatic speakers but without the power requirements. I have always felt that the spacious sound and true reproduction of Magnepan's were ideally suited to home theater application.

The only drawback to Magnepan's is a lack of bass punch. But in an HT setup, a sub woofer is needed anyways, so this shorfall is mitigated.

In my new HT I decided to go with the MGMC1's as my Mains and Surrounds and the MGCC2 as my center channel. In my HT room, the rather unusual design approach of the MGMC1's match perfectly. My room is narrow (only 102" wide), so any speaker I would go with would be forced to the wall. For most speakers, this is not desireable, for the MGMC1 this is the requirement. I selected the MGCC2 to stay in the speaker family. It is an excellent center, although it is big! Works ok for me, but I was suprised when I got it home how really big this speaker is. The frequency response down to 160hz is unfortunate - wish it complied with THX and went to 80hz, but I think for a Center Channel this is not as critical as for the sides. At any rate, I can not hear the difference.

I have uploaded a photo of my room. I am in the process of replacing my Sony 53XBR45 with a front projector (HT1000) and 100" screen. Hope to have all setup by the end of next week. Also want to replace the wing back chairs with some low back style. But everything takes time....

Good luck!
http://www.karen-ralph.com/HomeTheater.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm not entirely clear on the requirements for these speakers, but the key parameters seem to be budget, size, and style.

It sounds as though you might have been a little put off by some of the more exotic fare in another similar thread , but in truth several of the speakers suggested there are actually fairly widely available. Specifically, you shouldn't have much trouble finding the Gallo Micro , Mirage OmniSat , and B&W LM1 / VM1 .

The Aego may not be as common, but if you have a chance to hear them they too seem to fit your criteria nicely.

There certainly are other speakers worth considering (especially if you can relax the size restrictions), but it might be useful to audition a couple of models to get a better sense of what you love/hate about the usual suspects. You might also find it interesting to compare the "lifestyle" speakers with some decent budget bookshelf models to get a better sense of the trade offs involved.

Tiny satellites are particularly dependent on having a good subwoofer for full-range sound reproduction. While they are invariably better in the bang-for-buck department, DIY, kit, and Internet-distributed subs can be especially good bargains at this price point -- and perform significantly better than low-end mass-market units. For the sub at least, I would strongly suggest looking beyond the megastore offerings to find a winner.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.