AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a 2 story home with my home theater on the first floor. What do I use to cut 2 inch holes in the joist to run the pipe? A hole saw?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Same kind of bit you use to drill holes for door handles, only bigger. Look at Home Depot/Lowes where they sell drill bits.

·
Registered
52 Posts
A hole saw.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Ditto on the hole saw. Only way to go.

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I'll try a hole saw. I have a few different sizes from when I was renovating my boat. Thanks all.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You need to make sure of the location that you cut the hole in especially on engineered floor joist. Make sure to check the allowed locations from your floor truss manufacturer or consult the Uniform Building Code for solid wood joist. Off the top of my head I believe that most Engineered Joists generally require a 2" hole to be in the first 1/3 of the overall span but that may depend on the size of the joist. Although I own a development, company its been several years since I have had a reason to worry about this issue but I am sure for a 2+" hole you will want to check it out before you drill.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Forget about the hole saw, way to much work! I use 2-2 1/2" Forstner bits with a 1/2" electric drill, it'll punch through a 2-by joist literally in seconds.

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great! I was searching for a better way than a hole saw. I have a new 1/2 drill that will do the job. I will check to see where I can place the 2 inch holes. Thanks magelsen.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Really, Hole saws may make clean holes, but they're quite slow. A large auger bit will work also.

You may have a hard time finding a 2" auger, but here's what they look like:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/milwauke/...ml?source=goto

The 1/2 drill is the key because of available torque.

Ted

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I would be very concerned about drilling a 2"+ hole in a joist. I would try and find a different route. Maybe build a shallow soffit to contain the 2" pipe below the joists.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.