AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to buy my first PJ. Done my research, etc... decided on the Panasonic PT-AX200U. It will be mounted at 22'. I'm in the market for a pull-down screen approximately 120" diagonal (no larger).

I have NO CLUE where to begin with choosing a screen material and color... white, matte white, grey, silver, hi-gain???

I've read some of the "guides" on the screen manufacturers websites... unfortunatley, all I see is statements like, "Designed for today's moderate output DLP and LCD projectors" and "the most versatile screen surface for front projector presentations." After studying one company's guide, I walked away thinking every screen material they offered was the right one for me.

My room is NOT completely light-controlled (it's a sunroom), but viewing will be at night, i.e. "movie night." It seems like the silver/greys might be what I want, but I want to be sure. I only want to buy one screen.

What screens are people using for this PJ at relatively long throws like mine?

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
You may want to have a look at the DaLite Model C with High Power screen material.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Control of light and reflection and re-reflection is important.

Screen along with wall and ceiling treatment can contribute to the effect of light.

We started with a white screen and it appeared to reflect a lot of light back into the room.

We tried a gray Da-lite higher contrast screen and liked it a lot better than the white one for two main reasons.

1. This screen seemed to reflect almost no light back into the room.

2. This screen minimized the visibility and annoyance of the dreaded "black bars" that ALL projector images have across the top and bottom of the image as they scale very wide screen content like most movies.

Since your room has ambient light most times we suggest darker wall and ceiling materials/colors that are non-reflective and you may want to consider a gray high contrast screen.

goodluck

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
you should really consider a fixed frame screen instead. i have a 120" electric, and it has developed waves in the material which is driving me nutz. apparently this is normal for these types of screens after a few years. just my .02

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
There are two methods of dealing with ambient light issues:

1. gray screen - reduces brightness and true white balance. The AX200 can help keep the brightness up.

2. high power screen - uses more light return to overcome the small ambient issues. Fools the eyes into seeing a better image. Too much ambient light will defeat this technique.

It's very hard to intellectually decide on ONE screen and get the best solution. I have two screens myself because I needed to see both solutions in play. I currently use the painted gray screen but am looking at repainting to push up the perceived brightness. I may just mount the Wide Power screen I have again though and see if that will work for me. I changed over to the painted gray screen just as an experiment and have not really needed to change but I feel the urge to try the Black Widow paint formula.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/15430896

you should really consider a fixed frame screen instead. i have a 120" electric, and it has developed waves in the material which is driving me nutz. apparently this is normal for these types of screens after a few years. just my .02

Agreed. I got so frustrated with the waves on my pull-down screen that I ended up cutting it out of the roller and just tacking it on the wall and putting moulding all around the outside. Looks and works great now.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/15430896

Ideally, this is what I would have liked, however, since my room has another purpose most of the time (sunroom), with the exception of "movie night," pull-down (or electric
) is what I need. I do understand the flatness considerations, so I've been looking at tensioned screens. I do appreciate your .02

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech /forum/post/15431042

There are two methods of dealing with ambient light issues:

1. gray screen - reduces brightness and true white balance. The AX200 can help keep the brightness up.

2. high power screen - uses more light return to overcome the small ambient issues. Fools the eyes into seeing a better image. Too much ambient light will defeat this technique.

It's very hard to intellectually decide on ONE screen and get the best solution. I have two screens myself because I needed to see both solutions in play. I currently use the painted gray screen but am looking at repainting to push up the perceived brightness. I may just mount the Wide Power screen I have again though and see if that will work for me. I changed over to the painted gray screen just as an experiment and have not really needed to change but I feel the urge to try the Black Widow paint formula.

I've been mostly looking at Elite screens (at least have been doing a lot of reading about them). I had been leaning towards grey. In their screen material guide, under the matte grey descriotion, this statement struck me, "if your projector contrast ratio is above 2000:1, we recommend you use MaxWhite material for a brighter picture result." The AX200U is rated at 6000:1, so I guess they think their white screen would be better, at a gain of 1.1.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.