AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going with the HL-S5687W. This will be a HUGE upgrade as I have a 32" CRT I bought in 1998 lol.

Questions:

1. Refurbished worth the pricecut?

2. Which company would YOU purchase this from?

I'm considering buying it through Amazon.com. Thoughts?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Get the extended warranty and preferably go through some place where you can return it if it goes bad. Saving a few dollars is not worth the hassle we are still going through. We have been without our HL-S5087W for over 1.5 months. There are problems with the Light tunnels collapsing in the Samsungs. The fix is to replace the light engine. This fix runs over $1,000 although I have heard you can purchase a new light tunnel and fix it yourself for about $70. They have been out of light engines for the past month+.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewayneB /forum/post/0

Get the extended warranty and preferably go through some place where you can return it if it goes bad. Saving a few dollars is not worth the hassle we are still going through. We have been without our HL-S5087W for over 1.5 months. There are problems with the Light tunnels collapsing in the Samsungs. The fix is to replace the light engine. This fix runs over $1,000 although I have heard you can purchase a new light tunnel and fix it yourself for about $70. They have been out of light engines for the past month+.

So it would be worth a few hundred bucks more to buy it from a local retailer say in a 100 mile radius?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I purchased a hls6187w refurbished and saved $900 over current B&M stores. I also purchased an EW and still came out $700 ahead.

With all the problems people have even with new, why not refurbished? Many of my electronics are used or refurbished. I seem to have better luck with used and refurbished. Call it pretested or retested, that sounds better.

Maybe companies just need a second time to get it right.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by funny guy /forum/post/0

I purchased a hls6187w refurbished and saved $900 over current B&M stores. I also purchased an EW and still came out $700 ahead.

With all the problems people have even with new, why not refurbished? Many of my electronics are used or refurbished. I seem to have better luck with used and refurbished. Call it pretested or retested, that sounds better.

Maybe companies just need a second time to get it right.

I have purchased refurbished things in the past and they all came with warranty so I tend to agree with you.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswerve /forum/post/0

I'm going with the HL-S5687W. This will be a HUGE upgrade as I have a 32" CRT I bought in 1998 lol.

Questions:

1. Refurbished worth the pricecut?

2. Which company would YOU purchase this from?

I'm considering buying it through Amazon.com. Thoughts?

Hey, Jswerve -

We purchased this very same TV three weeks ago. Purchased new. First, just to say, so far, no problems with it! (Knock on wood.) Just so you know, we think it's a great TV - looks amazing, the small footprint accentuates the large screen. Great "popcorn" viewing TV for movies.

We purchased it from JR.com - but living in Jersey gave us a better shipping deal. Try searching on nextag.com for the best deal from a reputable (4 - 5 star) outlet (they change daily). B&H is another good outlet. (These are well-known stores in New York w/ a physical precense.) Be sure to enter your zip to see total costs, and I recommend getting it from a place w/ a physical store, not just a cyberoutlet w/ a warehouse (physical places have to have an actual staff). You should be able to get this unit for under $1,700 including shipping to your area. Amazon is a good outlet but typically you can find a better price elsewhere.

Samsung provies a one-year warranty from the date of original purchase and really that's the main one to worry about as no dealer will do anything while the Samsung warranty is in force. You might also consider a "bulb" warranty because if you don't have a lemon (which should be apparent w/in the first year) the bulb replacements will be the main ongoing costs. I just personally don't trust refurbished units for new-model TV. I don't think the Samsung warranty is extended for this repurchase (but you'd have to verify that and see what warranty, if any, a refurbished dealer offers); even if it is, you know you are getting a unit that someone had a problem w/ and returned...i.e., a "lemon." Is the problem fixed? Hard to know....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.