AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after racking my brain for awhile, I have decided on the Aperion Audio 5.1 system with 10in sub. I was deciding between Aperion, Ascend, and the delayed ELT by rockets. The rockets were ruled out due to the delay (I am very impatient:)). I almost went for the Ascends but at then the end, the Aperions won out due to their desirable appearance and rave reviews over the net. Now comes my question. Fiirst of all, if you are an Aperion owner, did you go for the black finish or cherry finish? I am leaning toward cherry as it should match the cherry finish on the Salamander Twin 20 unit. Also, which size subwoofer did you go with? I am having a hard time choosing between the colors as I love the cherry finish but my wife prefers the black finish as it matches my black speaker stands. Any input will be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great choice with the Aperions, I chose them over the Ascend's for much the same reason and have not looked back since. I have the black glossy finish which is absolutely beautiful. Originally got the 8" sub, but changed it to the 10". Cannot really go wrong with either, but in my case, I felt that the 10" was a better investment long-term.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Maximus,

Where in California are you? I'm in the LA area and I have the Ascends. I would love to be able to get the Aperions and Ascends together to compare. Just so we finally have a couple of people in the forum that can say they did a side by side comparison.

Whether or not you and I can be unbiased is another question. :)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cschang,

If I lived closer to you, I would definitely go for the shootout. I live near Salinas, Ca which is a good 300+ miles from you. I usually go to LA every now and then but havent been down there in awhile. Perhaps someday we could do the shootout:) I plan on ordering the Aperions tomorrow. I wish they were open today:)

Opo,

May I ask why you chose the black instead of the cherry finish? I'm trying to decide between the 2 and its really hard. I admit the black would match best with my other components and would look great. However, I've always been partial to a cherry finish. Decisions, decisions.....

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Maximus,

Yup..that would be a hike.

When you call Aperion, inquire about open box items. When I made my decision between Ascend and Aperion, I talked to Ben at Aperion, he had a great deal on a set of open box speakers and 12" sub...full warranty and the same 30 day trial. These were not "B" stock....just open boxes. I didn't bite, I went the Ascend/Hsu route.

Good luck on your order tomorrow!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maximus, I went for the black finish because I felt it would match better with the decor in my apartment and because I like black better. However, you should go with what your gut is telling you!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Maximus:

Definitely go for the black one instead of the cherry one! Also go for either the 10" or the 12" subwoofer! They are incredibly good.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Petit,

Already ordered the cherry wood ones:) I hope I like them. I have read that the black ones are also outstanding and have a great finish to them. Btw, I went with the 10in sub. I'm expecting great things out of them! Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Cherry ones are excellent too, but the black ones have that piano gloss that I found appealing. The 10" subwoofer is amazing and I am sure you will enjoy it!. What receiver do you have in mind? If you have not decided, go for a warmer receiver like HK.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats a very good question. I'm almost set to purchase the pio 45tx. I am still considering the HK 525. I gotta decide soon, hehe.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have the Pioneer 45tx myself and I find it simply amazing. One of the best upgrades to my system so far. Extremely clear with a great low-end punch. I found it better that the HK-325 I purchased and returned. Not sure how it would compare to the 525 though.

But people have claimed that the HK is warmer - you can always take your bookshelves to an audio store that sells them and buy the one you prefer.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have the 45tx connected to the ascend speakers? Do you think its too much? Or can you push the speakers further? I'm trying to get a feel for how much wattage is needed to push my aperion speakers to the fullest without causing damage. I've read that the aperions are not very sensitive and need to be driven with some power.

·
Registered
409 Posts
No. I dont have the Ascends connected now to the 45TX. I returned them when my 2-year old daughter kept trying to get to them and I was afraid she would knock them off the stands. I think the Pioneer should be fine with the Aperions. i have heard from some reviews that when they tried to push the Aperion with higher and higher power, the satellites were able to take them without any problems.

Send email to Ben Fowler at Aperion and he should be able to answer your questions regarding Aperion's sensitivity and receiver wattage appropriateness.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.