AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all let me thank all of you for participating in this forum, without it I would have been a bit lost in my search.

After becoming a habitual "window" shopper at every CC, BB, Sound Advice (Tweeter), etc., I finally pulled the trigger and got the HLN5065 which was in stock. Manufacture date is September and Firmware is 302.

For all of you who are undecided between the Panasonic RPLCD and this TV, I have gotta say I think this is worth every penny more. I too went through a time where I thought I should just get the panny, but after frequenting multiple stores and seeing essentially the same results, I just couldn't bring myself to deal with the "washed out" look of the panny. I was also worried about stuck pixels and screen door effect was much worse. And then there are the blacks. Anyways, I am very happy with the HLN. I have not experienced any headaches, I have seen what I think was the rainbow effect but I was snapping my head to look around my right shoulder and had nothing to do with the actual viewing experience. I have used the THX optimizer with Monsters, Inc. but have it otherwise untweaked. SD PQ is tolerable, maybe even better than expected. Viewing distance is 10'. DVD through component is absolutely outrageous. I had some guests over tonight and we watched LOTR TT and Monsters and I mentioned that I will get a DVI player to improve quality and one of the guests said that if the picture got any better it would be ridiculous.

OK - As far as I can tell the main weakness of this TV is flesh tones, I think they can be dialed in though. This is the only area where I think the panny was better out of the box. I already have them much better after THX optimizer. Everything else is gorgeous. I am so glad I went with this set. I can't wait to get an HD STB. Also, I haven't seen any issues with the sound being out of synch with the video (knock on wood). If DVD PQ gets much better with the suggested tweaks and DVI I won't know what to do with myself. Ok, enough raving for now!

Chris

·
2,432 Posts
Chris,

It sounds like you will enjoy your set tremendously. You might want to get the Joe Kane Digital Video Essentials CD. It has some color filters you look through to get the correct color settings. Avia might have this too.

I fixed the colors on my 9 year old 27" Proscan direct view and it looks pretty excellent. That didn't help the other half understand why we need a new TV when this one looks so good.

I keep warning her that the SD may not look so good on the new set. She feels that for the $ an HDTV should cook and do dishes! :D

There is one feature on the Proscan that is going to be hard to live with out. Its a commercial skip timer. Set the timer for 30 seconds to 4 minutes and surf away. After the count down is complete it brings you back the the channel you were watching.

Seems simple right? Well out of all the sets on the market today I have only found 1 PRTV that does this. It the new RCA 50" DLP, which is nowhere to be found in these parts. It figures, RCA and Proscan are one.

Have a blast with your new set!

Barry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.