AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I recently purchased a Pioneer Elite SC-25 and want to upgrade some of my speakers. I was previously advised that I can continue to use my Bose as surrounds but need to match my main and centers.

I have two places where I can audition speakers BB Magnolia and Audio Den.

So far I like the B&W CM5 and the center CM or CM2. I also like the Dynaudio Focus 140 as main with 200C as center.

For music I thought the Dynes were slightly better but I have several reservations. The B&W look more pleasing thus pleasing my wife and have a much shorter break in period. Seriously 140 to 240 hours of break in time for the Dynes. Why can't the company break them in? If I buy a bottle of wine I don't have to age it at home before I drink it.

I would also be grateful for other suggestions in that price range keeping in mind where I can audition them.

Sorry for the long post and thanks.

·
Registered
807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC /forum/post/19646992

Don't base any of your decision making on that break-in period nonsense. Run the speakers at high power for a few hours and they'll be as broken in as they're going to get.

The mechanical bonding will take much more than a few hours ... but you're right, the bulk of the 'breaking in' will be done in the first couple hours. And even fresh out of the box, you'll probably not say to yourself "man these sure need to break in". Through your receiver, you probably won't even notice a change.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It'll take more than a few hours if you don't run them at or near x-max, but if you drive them hard it won't take long for the suspension to loosen up and the t/s parameters to settle in.

Manufacturers tell you 100+ hours of break-in because by then you've gotten past your buyer's remorse (and most likely your return period).

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
So far I like the B&W CM5 and the center CM or CM2. I also like the Dynaudio Focus 140 as main with 200C as center.

For music I thought the Dynes were slightly better but I have several reservations.

Very different speakers, pick what you like based on sound.

It seems like your only reservations about the dynaudios is looks and break-in, both of which are completely non-issues.

I much prefer the sound of dynaudio, which I use as my mains. But some people live B&W. Pick what sounds best to you.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
this seems like a no brainer to me.

I heard the CM5s and the Excite X16s, and the X16s were just flat out better speakers. The 140s do what they X16s do, but even better. I do now own the X16s, I have had them about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFC3S /forum/post/19647029

The mechanical bonding will take much more than a few hours ... but you're right, the bulk of the 'breaking in' will be done in the first couple hours. And even fresh out of the box, you'll probably not say to yourself "man these sure need to break in". Through your receiver, you probably won't even notice a change.

What do you mean by "through your receiver you won't notice a change" ?

·
Registered
265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoe007 /forum/post/19649214

What do you mean by "through your receiver you won't notice a change" ?

I believe that he's trying to say that a receiver isn't adequate. Most audiophiles feel that a receiver is not capable of providing the same sound quality as a dedicated amplifier. Lucky for me, I'm an electrical engineer first, and an audiophile 2nd. Otherwise my receivers would all sound bad!

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC /forum/post/19652313

I believe that he's trying to say that a receiver isn't adequate. Most audiophiles feel that a receiver is not capable of providing the same sound quality as a dedicated amplifier. Lucky for me, I'm an electrical engineer first, and an audiophile 2nd. Otherwise my receivers would all sound bad!

So, as an engineer, and only secondarily an audiophile, do you think that speaker break-in is noticeable in all (or any) systems?

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19654549

So, as an engineer, and only secondarily an audiophile, do you think that speaker break-in is noticeable in all (or any) systems?
Dynaudio speaker test report

According to this test report, measured distortion is greater after break-in. But the reviewer doesn't think the speakers sound any different after break-in. And, like he says, they're going to get broken-in anyway just by using them.

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirspilane /forum/post/19658458

Dynaudio speaker test report

According to this test report, measured distortion is greater after break-in. But the reviewer doesn't think the speakers sound any different after break-in. And, like he says, they're going to get broken-in anyway just by using them.

Sure but I wanted a response from the engineer.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Just want to chime in here. I don't buy hunderds of speakers but, I have noticed a slight drop in the bass extension in the ones I have bought. Nothing else. Probably 10 or so hours into there life.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts