AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to choose between the VIZIO M320NV (LED 120hz 1080p) and the LG 32LD450 (standard LCD 60hz 1080p), which are roughly the same price on Amazon today. I probably would use the built in speakers on the Vizio, so that's a bonus.

This is for kind of a kid room/small lounge area where wide viewing angles in bright lighting would be nice. Built in sound would probably be useful, since I haven't decided if I want to hook up a reciever or not. I'll probably be connecting a Wii, Xbox 360, and possibly a Blu Ray player. Movies would be mostly high PQ quality kid shows (How to train your Dragon, other pixar/disney shows), and it would be used for a lot of games.

NOTE: I haven't looked at newer tv's for a while, so the LED thing is new to me. I've seen some newer demo units in stores playing movies that looked a little TOO smooth. I'm thinking this is the VCR effect some people have mentioned? I wouldn't want that.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I got the LG from HH Gregg back in August and love it. I have it wall mounted in my bedroom and it has a wonderful picture. As for Vizio, I have no experience with them but I have a friend that works at Sam's Club and one that works at Walmart and they both say that they get more Vizio's return to the store then any other brand. Id defiantly go with the LG.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, good thing I read this, I was about to go for the Vizio because it's an LED.

Any one else want to offer an opinion real quick?

Which would be better, the Vizio LED or the LG LCD?

·
Registered
421 Posts
LED edge-lit lighting in budget displays like the Vizio you mention do not offer any picture quality improvements. The only real benefit that a LED edge-lit LCD has over a CCFL LCD is the reduced power consumption (32" CCFL's consume about 100 watts, while 32" LED's consume about 50-60 watts).

LED local-dim lighting is a different story though, as it generally improves contrast ratios and black levels. But you'll only find this tech in the more pricier sets like the Vizio XVT line or LG Infinia line.

Anyways, I have never played around with the Vizio M320NV, so I can't give you a definitive side-by-side comparison. But the LG LD450 is fantastic and a highly recommended budget set on this board -- especially if you plan on using it as a computer monitor or for gaming. Just make sure you get one with the S-IPS panel type, as the other panel types are horrible.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum /forum/post/0

Just make sure you get one with the S-IPS panel type, as the other panel types are horrible.

I'm actually quite unfamiliar with that. How do I check and make sure the one I'm ordering on amazon has that?

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoma44 /forum/post/19591776

I'm actually quite unfamiliar with that. How do I check and make sure the one I'm ordering on amazon has that?

Since you're ordering online, there's no way of predetermining the panel type prior to purchase. But if you decide to get it at a store like Best Buy, check the sticker on the box ( example ). There will be a product code that looks like "UA.CUSWLH", the 4th character after the period is the panel identifier. So for a S-IPS, look for a "W" (like in my example). The others are "D" (TN panel), "L" (MVA panel), and "I" (IPS Alpha).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.