AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Panasonic plasma television (p50x1) with optical out and both my HD cable box and my dvd player (oppo) have analog rca outs and hdmi as well. Clearly, I'm going to be using HDMI from both the HD cable box and the dvd player to carry video/audio to the TV's separate hdmi inputs. The receivers that I'm looking at only have rca input except for the HK 3390 which has one optical input.

What I need to know is whether or not I should use the separate RCA analog outs from the DVD player and the cable box to input separately into the amp or whether I should just use the single optical out from my TV to send it to my amp. I feel like running one optical cable from my TV to my amp would be more convenient in that I would not have to switch my audio source every time I switched my video source. But I am not sure (and hopefully someone can answer this question) as to whether or not I could listen to a CD from my DVD player while my tv is off if it is routed through my tv's optical out.

This would influence my amp purchasing decision as well seeing as how the only 2 channel integrated amp with optical in that I can find within my budget of $200-300 is the Harmon Kardon HK 3390. But running analog cables would open my options to a wide variety of brands including entry level Onkyos, Yamahas, and Denons. Does anyone have any suggestions or input? Also, do you have any other recommendations for 2 channel integrated amplifiers?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aps1ngh /forum/post/16928700

I own a Panasonic plasma television (p50x1) with optical out and both my HD cable box and my dvd player (oppo) have analog rca outs and hdmi as well. Clearly, I'm going to be using HDMI from both the HD cable box and the dvd player to carry video/audio to the TV's separate hdmi inputs.

I would use HDMI all around. I mean connect all sources via HDMI to receiver and then single HDMI from it to TV. This way you avoid double D/A and A/D conversion in both audio and video. And you will have an opportunity to expand to full 5.1 setup later. Do not forget that player can not output DVD-A and SACD audio via coax or optical.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/16928856

The new Class D Onkyo TX-5VL has a DAC built in and both coax and optical digital inputs.

Well above my price range, but thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 /forum/post/16928970

I would use HDMI all around. I mean connect all sources via HDMI to receiver and then single HDMI from it to TV. This way you avoid double D/A and A/D conversion in both audio and video. And you will have an opportunity to expand to full 5.1 setup later. Do not forget that player can not output DVD-A and SACD audio via coax or optical.

These 2.1 receivers do not have HDMI switching nor input. They simply, with the exception of the HK 3390, have only RCA inputs and the HK has one optical input. I forgot to mention that in my initial post and it has been edited.

Again, does anyone have any input regarding my specific setup?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aps1ngh /forum/post/16930289

These 2.1 receivers do not have HDMI switching nor input. They simply, with the exception of the HK 3390, have only RCA inputs and the HK has one optical input. I forgot to mention that in my initial post and it has been edited.

I wouldn't touch anything that can't handle HDMI all way up to at least 1.3 spec. Within next two years HDMI will become the ONLY consumer level interconnect for both audio and video.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 /forum/post/16930766

I wouldn't touch anything that can't handle HDMI all way up to at least 1.3 spec. Within next two years HDMI will become the ONLY consumer level interconnect for both audio and video.

I wasn't planning on using HDMI on my receivers. As I just stated, I am trying to decide between using optical out from my tv (HDMI from cable box and dvd to TV; then optical out from TV to amp) or analog RCA cables directly from my sources into my amp.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aps1ngh /forum/post/16930793

I wasn't planning on using HDMI on my receivers. As I just stated, I am trying to decide between using optical out from my tv (HDMI from cable box and dvd to TV; then optical out from TV to amp) or analog RCA cables directly from my sources into my amp.

I'm personally fine without using the optical input located on the back of my HK 3490. Analog seems fine for two channel. I think the difference is negligible. I'm sure others would disagree.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith DTT900 /forum/post/16930791

Are you kidding me? It's a stereo receiver.

Even right now there is no other way to get SACD or DVD-A STEREO signal digitally out of player without HDMI. In video domain, you can't get full resolution soundtrack from BR player also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith DTT900 /forum/post/16930811

I'm personally fine without using the optical input located on the back of my HK 3490. Analog seems fine for two channel. I think the difference is negligible. I'm sure others would disagree.

Yea. I'm leaning that way mainly because I trust the DAC on my Oppo upscaling dvd player moreso than the one on any sub-$500 integrated amp. Also, if I do decide to route my audio through my TV's optical out (HDMI from cable box and dvd to TV; then optical out from TV to amp), will I be able to listen to a CD from my DVD player while my TV is off?

·
Registered
200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 /forum/post/16930766

Are you kidding? His new TV still has "composite video".

The progression to s-video and then component video has still not gotten rid of even the lowly composite video. No way HDMI is going to be the only consumer level interconnect anytime soon.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Something to mention, you might have a audio sinc problems with you TV speakers matching your main speakers(that is if you want to use you tv speakers also) when using the rca-outs on the cable box.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgferg67 /forum/post/16931466

Are you kidding? His new TV still has "composite video".

The progression to s-video and then component video has still not gotten rid of even the lowly composite video. No way HDMI is going to be the only consumer level interconnect anytime soon.

Both composite and s-video are pretty much useless. They support neither HDTV nor wide screen DVD formats. What is the purpose of having them in any modern TV set?

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Both composite and s-video are pretty much useless. They support neither HDTV nor wide screen DVD formats. What is the purpose of having them in any modern TV set?

Backwards compatibility with older players.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/16931957

Backwards compatibility with older players.

Considering that price for players is well under $100, the only old players are worth to worry about are for defunct media type (like VHS). But those who has large collection of tapes, probably be in better position if they convert them to DVD or DIVX.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Considering that price for players is well under $100, the only old players are worth to worry about are for defunct media type (like VHS). But those who has large collection of tapes, probably be in better position if they convert them to DVD or DIVX.

Well, you asked why new TVs still have composite jacks. Backwards compatibility is why. Lots of older gear around, and TV makers don't want to limit their market by ignoring owners of said older equipment.

As for conversion, that's a lot or work and/or money, if it's even feasible. And beats me how it'd put you in a better position. Lot of work/money, and then you can watch the same things you can watch now. Simpler just to plug in your old machine.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/16932273

As for conversion, that's a lot or work and/or money, if it's even feasible. And beats me how it'd put you in a better position. Lot of work/money, and then you can watch the same things you can watch now. Simpler just to plug in your old machine.

Conversion is only feasible for material, that can not be found anywhere else and better be done, since digital form can be kept intact forever, unlike any analogue recording. Other than that, I also do not think that anyone would really enjoy viewing VHS tape on 50-60" TV.

·
Registered
200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 /forum/post/16932439

Conversion is only feasible for material, that can not be found anywhere else and better be done, since digital form can be kept intact forever, unlike any analogue recording. Other than that, I also do not think that anyone would really enjoy viewing VHS tape on 50-60" TV.

How about someone who like listening to music more than movies. I tried a few digital receivers and found the "downgrade" versus a decent analog integrated amplified unacceptable, when listening to cd's.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgferg67 /forum/post/16933081

How about someone who like listening to music more than movies. I tried a few digital receivers and found the "downgrade" versus a decent analog integrated amplified unacceptable, when listening to cd's.

Was the connection analog to the "digital receiver" or did you stream PCM to it?

·
Registered
200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/16933358

Was the connection analog to the "digital receiver" or did you stream PCM to it?

I didn't mean to say "digital" although I did buy the digital Panasonic SA-XR55 receiver and returned it due to the "downgrade". I think I set it to bitstream and ran a coax from the Bravo D1 player I had at the time. I also had a friend loan me a Harman Kardon AVR 525. This receiver was rated at 85 watts in stereo mode and weighed 44 lbs. another downgrade..Another friend came over and hooked up his Onkyo TX-SR605 and another downgrade. And these comparisons are to and old Onkyo A-8067 integrated from amp from 1985. My A-9555 is a significant upgrade to that amp so the the difference would have been greater.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts