AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching projectors for 2 weeks now for a backyard setup and I am nowhere closer to deciding on what projector to go with than I was 2 weeks ago. I started really thinking about screens a few days ago and I'm already set on which screen and I'm going to order it tomorrow, but I can see myself reading old thread after old thread for the next 2 weeks still trying to decide on a projector. Buying my house and cars were easier decisions than this.

I'd appreciate if you guys would just respond with which projector you would go if this was your setup.

This is what I'm working with:
- Backyard setup in a shaded area, I will be staring movies around sunset. Most viewing will be bluray movies but I would also be using it occasionally for watching football and playing games on a PS4.
- Screen: Carl's 2.39 195" (6.5' x 15') Flexiwhite screen
- Trying to keep price around $1,000 but would spend a few hundred more if necessary, but I doubt I can go over $1,500 without my wife freaking out. I am open to buying refurb to keep a more expensive projector under $1,500

Must haves:
- 1080p
- HDMI 1.4
- Full 1080p 3D
- Good picture quality

Optional/Wanted but could live without:
- Vertical lens shift or low projection offset, I would like to keep screen no more than 2' off of ground. Without it I think the projector will need to be mounted just a few inches from the ground.
- MHL
- 1.5 Zoom
- 2 HDMI inputs
- 6 speed color wheel

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
I see some real issues here, such as the reality that you have gone with a 2.39 screen, in a world that ONLY has 1.78 projectors. So, anytime you watch HDTV, you are going to be working with a smaller portion of the viewing area, only achieving a 153" diagonal when you have full frame viewing or 1.85 movies since you are working with 75" of screen height.

At 195" of diagonal in 2.39 format, you are talking about utilizing a 1.78 diagonal of 207" - which is over twice the size of a 'large' home theater screen when talking square footage.

This means you really have to give up something. Price, quality, brightness - pick two.

If you go down in size, the W1070 is the fast color wheel with minimalize RBE issues and a great image for the money.

But, it's not going to reach the brightness of all of these upper brightness models...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...=&wr=&db=&is=0&dvi=&sp=35&pjh=&pjl=&tt=0&pjw=

Of which, the higher brightness models all use 2x color wheels, and have a very large drop in brightness when viewed with full calibrated color. All have 3D and at least one HDMI input.

IMO, no need for 2 inputs when you can just buy a external switcher, and should be using some sort of surround receiver with decent speakers, especially outdoors.

Likewise, your budget doesn't afford you such luxuries as long zoom range, MHL, or much else. The screen size is dictating brightness, which at 15 lumens per square foot comes in close to a 2,000 lumen projector, post calibration. Which isn't really adequate for 3D viewing.

The brightest model on the list I provided above specifically talks about how poor the projector performs for video due to the slower color wheel and less than acceptable colors.

At your price point, I'm not sure there is a 'best' scenario, but the W1070 would be a better choice than some if you want the best image possible. But, the screen size would need to come down to something more like a 75" tall 16:9 image, with 2.35 fitting within that width. At least, that's what I would do. You can always go to the full size if you want, but it may look pretty poor until after dark.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I've been researching projectors for 2 weeks now for a backyard setup and I am nowhere closer to deciding on what projector to go with than I was 2 weeks ago. I started really thinking about screens a few days ago and I'm already set on which screen and I'm going to order it tomorrow, but I can see myself reading old thread after old thread for the next 2 weeks still trying to decide on a projector. Buying my house and cars were easier decisions than this.

I'd appreciate if you guys would just respond with which projector you would go if this was your setup.

This is what I'm working with:
- Backyard setup in a shaded area, I will be staring movies around sunset. Most viewing will be bluray movies but I would also be using it occasionally for watching football and playing games on a PS4.
- Screen: Carl's 2.39 195" (6.5' x 15') Flexiwhite screen
- Trying to keep price around $1,000 but would spend a few hundred more if necessary, but I doubt I can go over $1,500 without my wife freaking out. I am open to buying refurb to keep a more expensive projector under $1,500

Must haves:
- 1080p
- HDMI 1.4
- Full 1080p 3D
- Good picture quality

Optional/Wanted but could live without:
- Vertical lens shift or low projection offset, I would like to keep screen no more than 2' off of ground. Without it I think the projector will need to be mounted just a few inches from the ground.
- MHL
- 1.5 Zoom
- 2 HDMI inputs
- 6 speed color wheel
Without an A-Lens you are talking about a screen 130 sqft in area, equating to a 2000+ lumens to have adequate brightness. There is a used anamorphic lens UH380 for sale in the classifieds for $750 that would allow the W1070 to have enough light for your size screen. The combined cost would be under $1500. If you were willing to spend another $200, you could choose the Benq HC1200 which would definitely be bright enough when paired with an A-lens as it measures a solid 2100 lumens calibrated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts