AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Hopefully I can find some good expert opinions out there.

I have a 55" LCD LG 1080p television. Previous to this I was using a 50" 1080i DLP as my primary tv... it worked great for playing back non-HD res video from my old computer. Well now that I have the capability, I want to be able to play back some good 1080p content from my computer. Unfortunately my 6 year old dell just doesn't cut it. So, I want to build a new computer that will fit in well, and run like a dream. I may use it some for some gaming, but mostly it will be to play back 1080p video, play blue ray discs, and music.

I want the video card to have hdmi out so I can run 1 cable to my av receiver.

I would like it to be at least a little bit future proof, and I also will want it to handle windows 7 like a champ. Money is not a huge issue, but at the same time, I don't want to throw it away.

I have never built a computer from scratch before, but after doing a lot of reading, it looks as if it will not be too difficult.

I have come up with 4 different options for a system. I am wondering what you all think about the different options based on what my requirements are. Also curious as to whether the huge upgrade in video card and if the i7 are a good idea, or if that is overkill. Also, as this is my first build, I am not sure if I have everything I need. I do think I am set on a full size ATX board and intel. I have also had good experience with my radeon cards in the past, but not 100% set if I am going the wrong way. I do want HDMI out though.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help!

EDIT: I guess I can't post a link on my 1st post due to forum rules, so here is the address to the 4 systems I am thinking about:

www.geocities.com/pricex2000/htpc.xls

·
Registered
51 Posts
You could get a HD4350 which should have HDMI output, so you can connect to your HDTV easier.

A good HTPC CPU is the Athlon II x2 Regor 245, paired with a mATX AM3 motherboard you'll probably be good to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts