AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving next month into a house (from an apt) and there is a big room upstairs which is perfect for a HT. It is a cape cod so there is one big room upstairs and only two small windows at either end. A few months ago I almost purchased a 57" RPTV but put it off due to the pending move (and getting a huge tv into my 3rd floor apt and then moving it again soon sounded really annoying). This room wouldn't be a TOTAL dedicated HT, it would be more of a living room/TV room/HT. I would probably go with something fairly cheap (AE100), definitely something in the price range of the RPTV i was thinking of ($3k). So I'm trying to decide if FP is practical for me. I have two main questions:

The room would have total light control, but is it possible to watch with the lights on enough to be able to sit on the couch and read? Or would that wash out the screen to much? During movies it would be blacked out but we (actually more my girlfriend) wouldn't want to ALWAYS watch in the dark.

Will watching TV (probably from sat.) look like total crap? We would want to watch a decent amount of regular TV on it and we would be using a Tivo (we tend to mostly use the medium setting). For most shows I don't care THAT much about the quality of the picture but if it's going to look like TOTAL crap, that will be a problem. I was thinking I could just put my 32" tv in the same room and use that for casual tv watching, but my girlfriend is not too keen on that idea.

Being able to watch a huge screen (there's room for it to be 92" wide) is so appealing, but with our viewing needs will it be a mistake? Should I just get a nice RPTV? Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i think you have the right idea.

get a cheap 32" direct view for casual tv viewing (the best thing to watch if you're going to have lights on), and then for special programming, use a projector.

mine isn't hooked up for sat., but for dvds, being driven by a $200 dvd player, its pretty damn fun.

i have the LT150. definitely needs a dark room, and a screen with masking for the light spill.

thats really the best of both worlds, don't understand why your girlfriend isn't keen on the idea.

it makes a hell of a lot more sense than trying to struggle with getting a huge 300lb rp up there.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan M
I am moving next month into a house (from an apt) and there is a big room upstairs which is perfect for a HT. It is a cape cod so there is one big room upstairs and only two small windows at either end. A few months ago I almost purchased a 57" RPTV but put it off due to the pending move (and getting a huge tv into my 3rd floor apt and then moving it again soon sounded really annoying). This room wouldn't be a TOTAL dedicated HT, it would be more of a living room/TV room/HT. I would probably go with something fairly cheap (AE100), definitely something in the price range of the RPTV i was thinking of ($3k). So I'm trying to decide if FP is practical for me. I have two main questions:

The room would have total light control, but is it possible to watch with the lights on enough to be able to sit on the couch and read? Or would that wash out the screen to much? During movies it would be blacked out but we (actually more my girlfriend) wouldn't want to ALWAYS watch in the dark.

Will watching TV (probably from sat.) look like total crap? We would want to watch a decent amount of regular TV on it and we would be using a Tivo (we tend to mostly use the medium setting). For most shows I don't care THAT much about the quality of the picture but if it's going to look like TOTAL crap, that will be a problem. I was thinking I could just put my 32" tv in the same room and use that for casual tv watching, but my girlfriend is not too keen on that idea.

Being able to watch a huge screen (there's room for it to be 92" wide) is so appealing, but with our viewing needs will it be a mistake? Should I just get a nice RPTV? Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

thanks

Ryan
I was in the same boat a couple months ago. And I have read everything you can imagine not only about PJs but especially about the AE-100 that was the most appealing PJ for me.

Said that, I ended up buying it without never seen one! And although many here said HDTV look crap, this is what I have and my impressions:

- Explorer 2000HD terminal. Component to the receiver.

- Pioneer DV-606D Interlaced player. S-Video to the receiver.

- XBOX. Component to the receiver.

- Pioneer Elite VS-36TX Receiver.

- Pioneer Elite M-10X Amplifier.

- 7.1 AAD Speakers.

- Panasonic TH-AE100.

- 64" x 36" 16:9 Home Made Parkland Screen.

I watch a lot of DVDs and lots of both regular cable and HDTV channels using the projector and I did not even bother about getting another TV for regular viewing. The regular channels do not look great but you can watch then for sure. The higher channels are better and some like the movies ones are really watchable. The HDTV ones that many here said it would be crap, are, in my opinion, EXCELLENT. Believe me, it is really impressive and my setup is here for everyone in Ottawa to see it. :) :)

Resuming: the cable channels can be enjoyed in this projector.

Lights should be controlled. I do not know if you could read and watch as my lights (halogen) are pretty damn bright but if you have different ones you may be able to read. :)

See ya,

C

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the same problem with my wife. When I started talking FP she thought I was nuts, it would never work, big hassle, etc.

That all went right out the window when it was (mostly) setup. She loves it almost as much as I do.

Good luck,

Abe

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
don't understand why your girlfriend isn't keen on the idea
I think she thinks it's a waste if we can't use my few thousand dollar investment all the time and have to resort to watching the old TV. Compared with getting a RPTV and using it for everything. I see her point, though I'm still thinking the good (watching movies on a huge screen) still far out weighs the bad. I'm thinking get the pj now and then in a year or two when rp/tube HDTV's prices have come down (hopefully) get one of them for watching TV.

Abe, I'm thinking the same thing will happen when my gf is wowed by the huge screen.

C, no HTPC and cable TV is still watchable? That's good to hear.

thanks for the replies

Ryan

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Thats exactly what I would want, an HD RPTV AND an LCD projector. Too much money, wayyy too much money though. it could be done though. A 43-53" HD RPTV and an AE100 would be amazing but a bit of waste of both. I think its one or the other. Too bad a nice compact flat screen wide screen wouldn't work instead and be less expensive. I think a nice 16:9 36" flatscreen TV would be really cool and you just have a screen that you pull down in front for your 106" screen :) Darn LCD and Plasma flat screens are too frickin expensive.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I currently use an RPTV for regular programming (via DISH) and an AE100 for DVDs (and soon, I hope, HDTV via TWC). The quality of DISH/DIRECTV or cable just doesn't translate, for me, to something I would want to view on a larger screen on a regular basis. The compression artifacts are bad enough without blowing them up. Also, I don't feel the need to view Fear Factor, Entertainment Tonight, etc. (and all of the commericals) on a 96" screen.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I use my relatively dim projector (Plus) with a little bit of ambient at times. The key is in how to do the lighting to keep as much light from being directed at the screen as possible. Task lighting without any ambient sources is probably best...though I've been thinking about pushing the screen out 6" and adding ambient sources behind a trim at the top and bottom of the walls.

Then make sure that you've masked the screen and selected room colors and materials that tend not to reflect light as much. In a mixed use room this can be difficult...heh, I have a mostly white room and it's pretty bad.

The next thing is picking a better screen. The Stewart does a much much better job at rejecting stray light than my Da-Lite...but it's also over a thousand.

Then, for non-critical viewing live with the washed out image. :) For a lot of TV shows, I generally don't care.

Nigel

·
Registered
485 Posts
I recently joined the FP world, and I love it! My wife and I watch some TV off of DirecTV, and it looks fine to me in s4:3 mode on the Panny 75u. I have not tried sports yet, nor HDTV.

A lot of people talk about the WAF (Wife Acceptence Factor) increasing dramatically once they see the PJ in action. I was never dealing with WAF so much as WPF (Wife Patronization Factor). Prior to having everything setup, she did not understand why I would want this so bad. She definitely understood why AFTER installation! Of course, she still sleeps through any movie I put in :D.

-Zak

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.