Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I would appreciate some help deciding between the Sim2 HT300 Link and the the Runco CL710LT. I am down to these two projectors as I need the 2.4:1 long throw lenses they each offer.

I have seen the Runco and was very impressed but I am trying to decide if the additional cost (approximately $2500) for the 300 Link is worthwhile.

I would really appreciate any opinions from owners of these two projectors.

My installation necessitates a long-throw lens of at least 2.4. (24' to the wall opposite the screen with 20' ceilings)

In particular are these projectors comparable as to brightness. I currently have an Infocus 7200 (more than enough light and I am happy with it's performance but it just does not work in our new home-not enough zoom)

·
Registered
111 Posts
GP,

to me there is no comparison: LINK is the right choice.

Sim2 has come out with this innovative concept which I think is a real step forward in domestic applications, the possibility to link a remote processing box (with a variety of inputs) to the projector via a single fiber optic cable.

This processing box includes inputs that I think only Sim has, such as hdmi (hdcp), firewire and dvi.

I've seen runco's 710 LT, and the quality is excellent, but so is sim's ... the difference is what sim2 offers to justify that price difference:

They have an 8000 hour lamp life, runco has 1000 hours, the contrast ratio is much higher on the link due to the fact that sim2 uses the HD2+ DMD chip versus the HD2 chip that the 710 has (2800:1 compared to 1800:1).

The lumens are about the same, but as I mentioned above, all the extra features sim offers are worth (IMHO) more than 2500 grand.

My choice? ht300 link ... no doubt.

Don't forget, runco OEMs while sim manufactures them and is capable of solving any issue on products that are engineered and developed by themselves.

I know I know, I am a big sim2 fan, but I really think they deserve it.

Even though I am american, I feel "italians do it better" :D in this case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Buialat,

I was wondering also if you had the choiche to see the other comparison of Sim2 in the HD2+ segment (Infocus and Marantz I guess). just to understad if mine XMas gift must be a Link, or another projector.

Thanks for your reply.

Muchas gracias

Alberto

·
Registered
546 Posts
I demo'd the Runco 710 and the Sim and I have to say that the Sim was the better PJ. At $600 per bulb on the Runco and 8 bulbs later, =$4800, the Sim is really the winner.

·
Registered
111 Posts
AlbertoPN,

The products I saw were all at CEDIA EXPO, and my overall comments were all in favor of the ht300 link and ht300 extra.

The 300 extra allows you to have the same quality of the link, but doesn't include the remote box. However, the specs remain more or less all the same as far as performance. 2800:1 contrast ratio and an 8,000 hour lamp. This to me is a real winner.

Between Marantz and Infocus I would go with the Marantz, due to the black level. Marantz (IMHO) delivers better blacks, but again ... to me the link and/or extra are the winners.

Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Buialat,

I know the adds are refeing about this 8000 hours of the lamp. Runco uses a NSH instead of a UHP lamp. The producing ccompanys are share whise one company. So why shall they produce different lamps and quality for their products?

The 8000 hours are the max. life of the lamp, but how long they are stable at their native5400K?

And the higher CR means lessto nothing if you didn´t have a complete black and light controlled environment.

Best

Armin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your responses. I have not had the opportunity to see the SIM2 HT300Link. Does anyone know what they mena by an improved 6 segment wheel?

Thanks and regards,

·
Registered
393 Posts
The new 6 segment wheel is now silent, quiet as a mouse so to speak. my 300plus i can hear sometimes but the new version is silent. A definite plus.

·
Registered
794 Posts
The Sim2 national rep has made it to CT with the 300 Extra. I was told by a dealer who also carries the Marantz and Infocus line that the 300Extra is "to die for". He has been told that the new wheel segment is also smaller in size than the one in the 300 Plus and that this reduction in size also helped with the noise :confused: . I will audition the 300Extra at home in a few weeks.

Anyway, I was also told that the 300Plus are now being phased out...no new manufacturing, just depleting of stocks.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shumi_9
The Sim2 national rep has made it to CT with the 300 Extra. I was told by a dealer who also carries the Marantz and Infocus line that the 300Extra is "to die for".
Maybe you can ask the Sim2 rep why they left HDCP off of the DVI input. To me, this doesn't make the Extra "to die for" , it just makes it "dead".

I am not knocking Sim quality. I've heard nothing but great stuff about their PQ. It is just disappointing the the Link is the only model that is HDCP compliant.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Quote:
Maybe you can ask the Sim2 rep why they left HDCP off of the DVI input. To me, this doesn't make the Extra "to die for" , it just makes it "dead".
I agree......

-- Cain

·
Registered
355 Posts
I called Sim the other day and one of their engineers told me the DVI port on the link does not support HDCP either.

·
Registered
794 Posts
No HDCP compliance...that is not good news at all. Are we sure? There seems to be a lot of confusion on the Sim2 products. For example on the Domino 30, their websites shows no DVI input and yet some people are emphatic about there being one on that model. I was told that the 300 Plus was not HDCP compliant but that they were going compliant with the 300 Extra and Link (by a reputable Italian reviewer).

What gives?:confused:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shumi_9
No HDCP compliance...that is not good news at all. Are we sure? There seems to be a lot of confusion on the Sim2 products. For example on the Domino 30, their websites shows no DVI input and yet some people are emphatic about there being one on that model. I was told that the 300 Plus was not HDCP compliant but that they were going compliant with the 300 Extra and Link (by a reputable Italian reviewer).

What gives?:confused:
Sorry, but I may have perpetuated the DVI on the Domino confusion. When I first saw the Domino press release, I could have sworn it said there was a DVI port. After visiting the Sim site and looking at the back myself, I stand corrected as others have pointed out. There is no DVI on the Dominoes. This rules them out for me.

As for the Xtra and the Link DVI, I have also heard no HDCP. This makes the Xtra a no-go as well.

Now the Link has HDCP on the HDMI input so it would work for me. Unfortunately, the $15K price tag makes it a no-go.

I have been on this website for over a year now while I have planned and built my home theater. Over the past year, I have heard so many good things about the Sims that I believe I could easily be satisfied with the Domino 30. Maybe even 20. And if I could afford it, I would get in line behind Cain for a Link. Unfortunately, the lack of DVI on the Dominoes and lack of HDCP on the Xtra make then unacceptable for me.

Look, I know Europe may not be plagued with HDCP issues, but I believe that every HD2 projector released last year had HDCP! Ok, exept for the Sim300 plus (talk about foreshadowing!). Even the new low-budget LCDs (AE500, HS20, Z2) all have HDCP! I also believe every HD receiver with DVI also uses HDCP. Heck, the SIR-T165 with DVI/HDCP has been around for a year now and every new box coming out has DVI/HDCP! I would also imagine every DVD player with DVI out will have HDCP from this point on.

Ok, I'll stop complaining. And yes, this could just be a case of sour grapes, especially since I really would have like to have one of these. Anyway, I hope they do well, but I can't imagine they would sell a lot in the US.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I am told the DVI port on the Link is NOT HDCP. The HDMI port on the Link is HDCP, so that may be where the confusion is coning from.

-- Cain

·
Registered
794 Posts
Vandelay,

good post...I concur. I was so excited about the EXTRA!. I am desperately trying to get in touch with someone at Sim2 (proving to be very difficult). They must know that no HDCP compliance for DVI is a serious issue in the US. Not a total killer as I use DVI for DVD playing with the Bravo and the 15pin VEGA connection for HDTV. Still, that means that this is the only connection strategy I can use and prevents me from upgrading to future DVD players.

Andrea, can you intervene for us?

·
Registered
355 Posts
If anyone wants to call them you can find the phone number for their Florida location on the web site under Contact Us. I just called and asked to speak with an engineer about specs. on the link. I has soemeone on in 30 seconds.

The descriptions on projectorcentral, press releases, etc. all point to no HDCP on DVI, but HDCP on HDMI.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
The 300Xtra does not have HDCP on DVI. The 300Link only has it on the HDMI, not the DVI. The 300Plus also does not have it.

Thanks, Jason

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
The fact that the Link model has HDMI that is HDCP compliant should negate any of the complaints. HDMI is a DVI connector and it is my understanding that there is an inexpensive adaptor that will allow you to plug a DVI connector into a HDMI port.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.