AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after endless searching, I've narrowed things down to these players. Here's the choices, spending $ 300

Pioneer 45-A $ 315 delivered

Panny rp-91 $ 300 2nd hand no warranty delivered

Panny XP-30 EBay Probably around $ 300, bidding still open.

Pioneer 563 A $ 315. Modded for codefree and Macrovision free Extended2 years parts and labor.

Pioneer 578 A same deal as 563 A maybe 25 dollars more.

Which unit do you think I go with ? I understand that from what I've read the RP 91 despite it's being 4 years old performs very well thru component 480i. Question is ? No warranty and will it hold up and how good will it be should I decide to upgrade to high def, TV ? The RP91 I saw said Reference DVD player, is this a different version than the flagship model of 2001 ?

As for the XP-30 and 45-A . Do they play PAL on NTSC ( USA) ? What would be the cost to have them modified ? How do their PQ compare to the RP 91 ? Is their audio output as good as the 578 A and 563 A Pioneers ?

Currently, My Display is a analog Panny ( TAU ) CT-27SX12 flat screen that maxes at 480i.

I could use some help deciding which player is best suited to this tv or a high def that I may get later on.

Larry

· Registered
2,630 Posts
Larry, I would choose the XP-30 and send the progressive component signal to your Panasonic TV. Your Panny will accept 480p signals as well as 480i and the progressive signal from the xp-30 is very good and probably better than the deinterlacer in your TV. If you use a 480i source the TV will have to handle the deinterlacing job. The RP-91 is a fine player but the XP-30 uses the Faroudja chip and will provide the better performing deinterlacing.

Now if you wanted to spend a liitle more the new Denon 2910 will give you the same fine deinterlacing that the xp-30 provides as well as the ability to upconvert to 720p or 1080i should you get a new TV or projector. It also has DVD-Audio and SACD capability. It will however be about twice the cost of the xp-30 that you claim to be able to purchase at $300. If your budget allows I would go with the 2910.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Clark. I'd love to be able to get the 2910. But it's somewhat more than I can afford.

Is it possible that I use my current Sony DVP- NS755V as a SACD & DVD- audio player and hook up the XP-30 as well for the video feed ? I'm using a Pioneer VSX -D912 as the Multi-channel receiver. I've read other threads where people have hooked up 2 units.

The Sony is a fine player and works fine except doesn't convert PAL to NSCS. Which is the primary reason I'm even considering a new player. If i could Mod the Sony to play PAL or all regions that would be ideal. The Sony also doesnt read MPEG files.

That's why I've been considering the 563 A. The Pioneer 45-A plays sacd and dvd-audio. Do you think that might be a alternative.

· Registered
2,374 Posts
I can purchase a Denon 2900 for less money than 2910. I have a Panny ED plasma set. The audio from the player will be going to a separate pre-amp and, then, onto 2 mono amps (all valve). The 2900 is much heavier and, just perhaps, better built. However, the 2910 has some new thinking. Just wondering if that 'new' thinking' is for me? Trying to make up my mind on which to buy..if I buy a Denon, that is. Perhaps, the new Panny s97 will be very good, as long as they do not try to change it to much from the winners they once had.

· Registered
39 Posts
Larry,why not look at at the Yamakawa 288VGA. it gives by far a superior picture (resolution, color, greyscale) then my RP-91 and my Sony 9000ES in the 480i mode. I use a Faroudja NR at 720p. It ican be made region free, converts Pal to NTSC and has the most incredible picture adjustments. For example, you can change hue or tint in the component mode. I don't know of another player that can do this.

Read about it in a lengthy thread on this forum, where members rave about it. I tried copying Pal converted to NTSC through the s-video connection onto my Panasonic DVD Hard drive recorder and it made perfect interlaced copies, wihout copyguard or macrovision. I used S-video since my dvd recorder did not have component input.

Last , but not least it sell for around $50.00 or less!!

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input folks. I've decided that I'll go with the Pioneer 578 a. It has everything i need now. Pioneer has corrected the interlacing problem that the 563 had and completely modded out with 2 years extended warranty. The price is just around $ 300 shipped.

I'll hook it up and see how it goes. I got 30 days to return it if for any reason I'm dissapointed.

I just don't want to spend more than I have to. I get a really great picture already from the Tau tv and Sony dvd hookup as well as superb audio. I'm sure the Pioneer 578 a will match or surpass the Sony's performance plus it's code free and will play anything PAL, Disney, Macro free.

I 'll find out for certain in a week or so. I'll worry about HDTV when the time comes.

Anybody want a Sony DVP-NS755V that plays SACD and DVD-Audio ? Make me a offer......

Larry

· Registered
783 Posts
DaBreeze,

I see you've made your decision, so you obviously can ignore my post, but for others coming to this thread, I want to add a little bit to what tonyjur is saying about the Yamakawa 288.

I also have one as well as the RP91 it was compared to. To a large degree I concur with what tonyjur is saying, the Yamakawa is a steal at the price (and the little brother DVD-238 puts out the same quality video for even less, I picked one up as a backup to the 288 for $25 after rebate from Good Guys). Anyway, the 288 is a little sharper than the RP91, has great color, great greyscale, and for most PAL films and a few NTSC films I prefer it to the RP91, but overall I still think the RP91 is the better player just because the image from the RP91 is a little smoother (as is less noisy) and more filmlike.

A good example as I've mentioned in the Yamakawa thread is the scene in Spider-Man where Tobey Maquire is talking to Kirsten Dunst in the alley before her boyfriend shows up, where Toby is shown against a dark brick wall; the RP91 has less noise here, as it does in most dark scenes, or older films that tend to have a lot of noise in the print used for the transfer. But considering that I spent nearly $500 for the region-free RP91 vs. $60 for the Yamakawa 288, I think for anyone looking for a lower cost player, the Yamakawa can't be beat. I also use a video processor with both players, the iScan HD, but have compared the two players without the iScan, and here the results favor the RP91 even a little more (except for PAL discs, which I can't watch on the RP91 without using the iScan to convert to NTSC).

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CJayB,

I certainly did not ignore your post. Fact is for the price the Yamakawa seems like a great value. I do understand that their may be a slight deinterlace problem, to be expected considering the cost.

With that said , I'm still going to invest the $ 60 bucks to compare the Pioneer 578 A and the 288. As I said earlier, I have a Pioneer VSX-D912 receiver. So the Pioneer 578 A might interface better. I look forward to auditioning the Yamakawa 288, if it stands up to the RP-91's PQ it must be outstanding.

I'll keep ya posted .

Larry

· Registered
783 Posts
DaBreeze

Glad to hear you're still going to audition the Yamakawa. Actually, from what I hear, the 578a sounds like it is also a great value with SACD and DVD-A capability and better video than earlier Pioneer units. So don't think I was knocking your decision by butting in to talk a little more about the 288. For a long time I was a Pionner fan, using a Pioneer Elite DV-37 as my main player until the RP91 replaced it. Your two players should compliment each other very well.

I actually have never tried DVD-A with the Yamakawa (I've been using the RP91 for that and haven't had the energy to swap out the cables to hook up the 288 to do the comparison). I'd be curious of what you think of DVD-A with the Yamakawa if you try it.

And yes, like every inexpensive player I'm familiar with (and many of the not so inexpensive players), the biggest weakness of the Yamakawa (and probably of the 578a from what I've read) is deinterlacing. This is one of the reasons I got the iScan HD, I now don't have to worry about the deinterlacing of any player I own, and it also solves the only real weakness of concern with the RP91 (a minor weakness, I think, since the RP91 deinterlacing is underrated and pretty good with the latest firmware).

· Banned
8,614 Posts
I will also cast a vote for the RP-91 running at 480i, with the deinterlacing being done by the onboard faroudja processing in my HT1000.

The RP-91 has excellent video specs, particularly at rendering the high end of the IRE scale. This the are where I thought the RP-91 exceeded the RP-82 & XP30, because those played crushed the 96-100 IRE range just a tad, while the RP-91 clearly showed 99 & 100 IRE seperation for me.

Obviously 480p on the RP-91 is inferior to the RP-82 & XP-30, but I don't care about that.

The RP-91 also had a service disc to alter region codes and deactivate Macrovision.

I look forward to test driving the new S97 in a head to head with the RP-91.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.