AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am approaching a final decision on what to purchase. I am considering the Mits WS 65869 or the Mits WS 55859. My two questions:

1. I have heard some say that the 7" guns on the 65" Mits do not adequately support the screen size (hence my consideration of the 55"), especially given that I have digital cable at this time. Any comments as this is the one I was closing in on. The other alternative was the 65" Diamond Series and 9" guns - which is more than I wanted to spend.

2. The new Mits Platinum Plus Integrated 65" model WS 65611 will be coming out in October and the Integrated 55" model WS 55511 is expected in August. As time is not of the essence for me, do I wait? I don't know too much about these new models - does anyone out there?

Thanks for your help.

As a newbie, these boards have been invaluable.

·
Registered
545 Posts
It's a bad time to buy a RPTV in my opinion. The 2nd generation DLP sets are due out in a couple of months that are supposed to really drive the price down. The display market seems to be on the virge of a resolution breakthrough as well - to 1080p. I think Toshiba has a set coming out in Q4 that natively supports the full 1080p (1920x1080 progressive) for a MSRP of $5000 - $10000. It really depends on how you plan to use the TV though.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've heard rumors of DVDs going to this resolution. However, the big selling point for me is computer usage. There are several video cards that are targetting HTPC applications (video cards that output via component cables a 480i,480p,720p,1080i,and 1080p resolutions). Websurfing and gaming at 1080p, 55". Oh yeah.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I thinik for 1080p material it will be 1080i that has been de-interlaced. There are Vieo processors that do this now (very expensive), but if they make a RP or FP display they can build in a less expensive solution.

AdamKO,

I don't think Mits. makes a 65" with 9" CRT's currently. The 73" is 9" CRT and for the new (2002) sets I am not sure.

MJ

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Only the 73" has 9" guns. in the Mits family

Blue

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses, but I'm still not sure whether to go 55" or 65"? I'm also not sure whether to wait for the new models.

While I would love to get a DLP set Midnite Arrow, I am not in the 5-10k price range (as is the 73" Mits). Also, I will not be using this for a computer or gaming. It will be strictly DVDs and cable tv (as I said, this inferior source makes me consider the 55").

Any info on the new models or comments on 55" vs. 65"?

Is bigger inherently better??????

I am going with Mits for two reasons 1. I liked them when I went to see them at Tweeter, and 2. I can get them at dealer cost - hence more bang for my buck.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
I thought that the 65" would have an inferior picture to the 55", until I auditioned them. I wasn't even shopping for the 65" but ended up buying it (Mits 65807). My friend has a 55809 and the only benefit over the 65" I see is that NTSC artifacts are more noticeable on the bigger screen. Otherwise, the 65" has much more impact. BIGGER IS BETTER!!! Don't hesitate (I had a 56" panasonic before this set and I am glad I stepped up to 65")!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your responses.

As nobody seems to know about the new models - I can't imagine they will be significantly different from the current ones (their prices appear only marginally higher).

I am taking the leap and buying the 65".

Thanks again everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.