AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a merchant with Philips DVD-962SA's in stock, delivered for $526.84. But, another merchant said they should have the Panasonic RP82K in 2 weeks delivered for $239. I haven't made a preference decision on SACD versus DVD-A (though I suspect in the end, DVD-A will win out by default penetration - just my opinion), but I do demand high quality digital audio capability (to my Marantz SR-18ex processor), and the best video performance under $800.

What say you - Philips unit is worth the $300 due to superior video (mostly) and audio performance over the Panasonic?

Thanx,

dagger

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dagger,

Did you find a local merchant that had the 962a in stock? I'm in Raleigh and interested in this unit.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
j768 - no, no one has it locally that I could find. It is through onecall, and I've done a few purchases with them in the past and they're good to work with. If I decide to go with the Philips, maybe we can do a multi-unit purchase (anybody else from Triangle area interested?) and get a further break, maybe free shipping.

dagger

·
Registered
379 Posts
Dagger,

The new Philips is the current "King of the Hill" IMHO!! Just three days new, I am shocked at how wonderful the DCDi images are on this player, how resolved the detail is, how saturated and natural the colors are.

The bonus is the SACD playback in 2 and multi-channel playback. Having been a SACD fan from the beginning, I am very surprised at the performace level of this machine. Whether SACD, Redbook, or HT, the presantation is detailed, accurate, and airy. This player is highly recommeded, a must audition for anyone planning to purchase a new player(at any price) and can easily be considered a "best buy".

Jack

·
Registered
451 Posts
After reviewing the Denon 1600 (RP56 video section) and the Philips 985 (similar video section to 962, but 962 is a bit better), I would have little hestitation in recommending the Philips unit. It is signficantly more money, but still, the increase in picture quality would be worth it. As for OneCall, I have been quite pleased with their service in the past also.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
MM629,

Are the Philips reocorder/players using a C-bug free MPEG decoder?

How do the Philips product names work - are the 98X models more feature rich (and expensive) than the 96X models?

·
Registered
451 Posts
The 985 is the DVD recorder. It differs from the 962 in that it has a 10 bit DAC instead of 11 bit, and does not have SACD. I believe the 985 is chroma bug free.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I am also ready to replace my player. My decision is to go with the 963 which will be out in about two months. The 963 has wider video bandwidth and better bass management in sacd.

Best,

MAB

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by MAB
I am also ready to replace my player. My decision is to go with the 963 which will be out in about two months. The 963 has wider video bandwidth and better bass management in sacd.

Best,

MAB
Not Best, MAB! Don't say that, I really don't want to wait another couple of months, again. I know there is always something better coming down the high tech road, but 6+ months is bad enough and I can handle it, but I hate the 2 months window. I was just about ready to call tomorrow and order the 962, but now I at least need to research the 963, and then it brings up the buy the really good, but not better unit for less $$ and wait until next year when the 3rd/4th generation units come out.

You guys are making me fall back into the audiophile mode of upgrading (or, from my wife's perspective, having 1/2 price sales) every 6 months!

I still love this stuff............. Next year is the 3rd Gen. DLP projector and big screen :) :) :)

dagger

·
Registered
299 Posts
Jackson: Do any of the zoom modes scale non-anomorphic letterboxed for use with a widescreen tv in 'full' mode ( like the panasonic RP-91)?

·
Registered
499 Posts
AFAIK, there is no firm release date for the 963. In March (the supposed release date for the 962) John Sunier of Audiophile Audition wrote something suggesting Philips informed him of a September release date for the 963. Here we are in June and a small number of 962's are finally trickling into the US. Someone on a different forum sent an email to Philips inquiring into the 963's release date. The reply he received was the following:

"This unit will be available in the market sometime this year but we do not have information on the exact time of the year."

Given how long it took for the 962 to hit shelves here I decided to dive in and buy the 962. Given the price and feature list of the 963 I would be very surprised if hits the US in September, only three months after 962.

·
Registered
58 Posts
DaggerNC,

I may be interested (I live in Raleigh, NC) in discussing the 962 with you.

You can PM me with your number if you like.

Regards,

Frank

PS I will send my contact number as well.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Does anyone have some links to info on this player ? I checked the Philips site but didnt see anything. The info at OneCall wasn't very informative.

Anyone know of upcoming reviews ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to say, I have been rumaging through this site for about 6 months, getting info for a plasma screen, and then DVD player. I bought the Q50, sent it back and have also been waiting for the 962, and now *sigh* the 963. I was doing the 'buy from Circuit City (open box, of course) and take back within 30 days trick' to wait for the 962- but now the 963 is coming, albeit some time after September. I can't bothered with this anymore!

So I gave in bought an open box Sony D7000 (I think) for $180 dollars to tie me over. Not a bad second player and will go OK in the bedroom. This isn't a bad plan if you don't have a player or a non progressive with a HDTV and want to wait for the 963. Probably be able to sell it for $125ish in 6 months.

Phillips have committed a huge marketing no-no by dicking around with the release of the 962 and now the release dates of the 963. Even loyalists are going to get ticked and go elsewhere.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Blair,

"Release Date" delays are nothing new in this industry. All mfg's begin the pre-marketing hype long before the product is actually launched and,,, sometimes, mktg dept's, and production and distribution dept's are not on the same page.

The proof is in the pudding so to speak with the 962. In the short time I've used it for DVD playback (Black Hawk Down last nite) and SACD play (New Taj Mahal, Yo Yo Ma) this player meets my expections in every way. At the $500 price point, the 962 should be considered a steal!

Jack

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jackson,

Any reference progressive DVD players for comparison with the 962? I've heard SACD and liked what I heard (well recorded discs), but SACD/DVD-A is a secondary feature for me at the moment (I'm still on the fence as to which format to invest in/which will win out). Thus, the quandry I'm in is if the Pany RP82 delivers on the video side as most other threads indicate it should, will the Philips have any video superiority, especially given the RP82 will be half the price? That said, I am willing to pay for that incremental improvement if it is noticeable. If they are equal, or the Philips only shows a minute amount of improvement, then with the 963 coming out in a few more months and the next generation chips sets targeted for early next year, then I'd rather do the less expensive (but very good) solution now as I can justify it as throw away (or in industry financial jargon, "Goodwill write off", or even more correctly as my wife sees it as videophilia addiction syndrome:D ) when the "perfect" player does come out by 1Q03 (right pnichols?). Now, if Stacy gets ahold of this 962 and raves about it and she even replaces her beloved RP56 with it, I'll view that as a sign from above and immediately order it.

I know - no immediate, deterministic answer is available at this moment....

dagger

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
daggerNC,

Personally, I'm not counting on Philips to have any video superiority over Panasonic unless it's through deliberate and expensive intention on Philips's part on some particular model of theirs. Faroudja FLI2200 is what's in both, so unless Philips finally gives us control over the chip's CCS parameter, deinterlacing quality and our control of it will be the same.

Philips tried to give us 12bit video DAC's in the the Q50 which potentially could have provided a somewhat "better" image over 10bit designs (i.e. as is the RP82) and indeed the Q50, when it worked, supposedly put out spectacular progressive images. Is the 962 going to have 12bit V-DAC's?

Also what does Philips's "Digital Crystal Clear" circuitry (in the Q50) bring to the ball game? I was even wondering at one time if this wasn't kind of Philips's version of the Faroudja FLI2220 video enhancment capability (not in the RP82 but in the Kenwood DV-5700). Is the 962 going to have Digital Crystal Clear?

I'm probably missing it in this topic thread, but is it known that the 962 will not have the chroma bug? Of course I won't touch a player with this.

What are the specs on that 963 carrot Philips is dangling in front of us?

I think I'd like DVD-A in a player, as opposed to SACD, so I'm staying away from Philips DVD/SACD combinations in favor of DVD/DVD-A combinations.

Unless the RP82 has serious problems (at this point I don't even care if it's zooms work or if it's MPEG decoder is a "little worse" then that in the RP91), I'm going for this "fairly good low-ball" solution in a few weeks even though it probably will have red flicker from hard edges due to CCS being in the wrong default mode. In my situation it does not make sense to wait any longer, as DVD player/recorders will be out soon that are so close to getting it right that I'll probably then be tempted to start waiting all over again for player/recorder manufacturers to get the playback function as good as the RP82 will be at now.

Ooh, I almost forgot ......... mixed right in with the player/recorder trial-and-return infinite loop the OEM's want us in ......... the Sage/Faroudja FLI2300 chip will begin to show up in players and the waiting starts all over again for the OEM's to implement this chip correctly.

Here's my perfect player minimum criteria as I know it at this time:

- at least Kenwood DV5700 DVD-A performance

- RP91 interlaced performance

- switched interlaced/progressive component outputs via the remote

- RP91 or better MPEG decoding

- FLI2300 deinterlacing and scaling with user accessibility to everything adjustable that Sage designed into the chip

- FLI2220 or its' successor video enhancement with user accessibility to everything adjustable that Sage designed(s) into the chip

- intuitive and easy menus like some already have (Toshiba? Sony? Etc?)

- lighted remote with big buttons correctly laid out

- multiple coaxial and optical digital audio out

(I'll never see the above in my lifetime.)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Phil,

The Philips 985 video quality (similar video section to 962) was better than that of the Denon 1600 (similar video section to Panasonic). I have compared the two back to back, as they were both in for review at the same time. The difference is significant, and the Panasonic based product is less film-like, and not as smooth. The difference is well worth the extra money for the 962, as the Philips people tell me the 962 is better than the 985 in picture quality. Sometimes the specs don't tell you everything. In comparison to the Kenwood, the Denon 1600 picture quality was not as nice, while the Philips comes close, perhaps to 90-95% of the quality of the Kenwood. There is still a hint of graininess to the Philips unit in comparison to the Kenwood, but the 1600 is signficantly less smooth.

BTW Phil, just dive in and buy a player already.... By the time the perfect player to match your specs and picture quality needs comes out, HD DVD will be on the horizon and you will have to wait for that. That Pioneer 610 sure is being wasted using it with VHS....

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
MM629,

Why, oh why, do I feel like I'm asking for the moon when I ask Kenwood to simply bring out a single disc version of the 5700 but with I/P switching from the remote and without Y/C delay!? :)

Seriously ......... OK I'll consider the 962:

- If Stacey says it does not have the chroma bug

- If you provide a link to it's spec sheet and I like what I read

My movie preferences are very broad, so unfortunately if I want to watch titles such as "Ride the High Country", "Caravans", "Star Wars 4/5/6", and "LeMans", I'm stuck with VHS even after I pick up a DVD player! ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.