AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba SD-4800 mated with a Panasonic 42" HD plasma. I'm wondering if there would be a noticeable improvement in "upgrading" to one of these two units?

Denon DVD 1600 or Panasonic DVD-RP91

·
Registered
389 Posts
Wait 3-4 months and get the new Samsug DVD plaver that will output 720p and maybe(?) 1080i on DVI connection. I just upgraded to a XP30 and will probably upgrade again when this unit comes out. These two things , native resolution out and direct digital connection will yield a pretty good PQ increase.

Mark

·
23,039 Posts
I'm gonna keep my eye on what happens with the Bravo D1.

702p and 1080i out DVI/HDCP for $200. It got a good review

in the recent Sound & Vision. There's a thread in here somewhere

about it. It seems geared to be a HTPC replacement for DVD viewing.

Great digital output and passthrough DD and DTS.

larry

·
Registered
557 Posts
I just finished reading the S & V article about this dvd. There was also an article about it in Home Theater in January.

Here are the articles: TH Mag S & V mag

·
Registered
785 Posts
I don’t know about the Toshiba SD-4800, but I can tell you that my Denon DVD-1600 gives me a much better picture than my old Toshiba SD-6200. The biggest change was the chroma bug.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've run across mention of the "chroma bug" but I'm not clear on exactly what it is. How can I tell if my Toshiba SD-4800 has that problem?

I recall something about it showing up on white credits scrolling against a black background. I watched "The Bourne Identity" a couple nights ago, and it pretty much has that style of credits. I didn't notice anything obviously wrong.

·
Registered
785 Posts
The chroma bug doesn’t show up on white credits. It shows up on something entirely different. I could tell you exactly what the chroma bug is and exactly where it shows up, but are you sure you really want to know? After I learned what the bug was, I started to see it in all sorts of DVDs. I began to hate my DVD player of the time and had to upgrade it. When it comes to the chroma bug, ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I would like to know. :D

Upgrading is not a problem if there is a compelling reason to do so.

Send me the info in a private message, if you prefer not to subject others who read this thread to unnecessary anxiety. :eek:

·
Registered
785 Posts
WARNING!!!

The following is a description of the “chroma bugâ€. If your DVD player has the chroma bug and you read the following description, you may begin to hate your DVD player and feel the need to upgrade it. You’ve been warned.

The bug appears as a jagged edge around objects, in the video, that are heavily saturated with red. It also appears as thin red lines just above and just below the red objects. It’s most noticeable when the red objects are on a dark background. Red movie credits would really make it show-up, though I can’t think of any movies that have red credits.

The following is a list of some scenes where the bug shows-up.

Toy Story – scene with checkerboard

Star Wars Ep1 – red clothing of the queen’s handmaidens

Logan’s Run – giant symbol on the wall outside of the stadium where the older people are exterminated

Pearl Harbor – red plane at the beginning of the movie (look at the upper and lower edges of the wings)

It’s difficult for me to think of more scenes than this because it has been months since I’ve had a bugged player.

Explaining exactly what causes the chroma bug in certain players is rather difficult, so I’ll let the following link explain that.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ug-4-2001.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.