Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

Well, I got the "green light" from the better half to start researching a new TV for the family room. Right now, I'm looking at the following 60" LCD sets:

Sony KDF-E60A20

Sony KDF-60XS955

Sony KDS-R60XBR1

I am still trying to read through all of the threads to get my info straight, so if anyone wants to throw in their $0.02, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman07
Hello-

Well, I got the "green light" from the better half to start researching a new TV for the family room. Right now, I'm looking at the following 60" LCD sets:

Sony KDF-E60A20

Sony KDF-60XS955

Sony KDS-R60XBR1

I am still trying to read through all of the threads to get my info straight, so if anyone wants to throw in their $0.02, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
What's most inportant to you?

Picture quality? KDS-R60XBR1

Price? KDF-E60A20

Compromise of Price and Quality? KDF-60XS955

I know the styling on the XS & XBR1 seems to be a love it or leave it with many people. If your okay with it. I think it comes down to how much you want to spend and how important the extra resolution of the SXRD chip is to you. I think the XS can be an attractive choice if you can find it at a discount since they have been discontinued. The SXRD will carry a higher price but with it you get bleeding edge technology. I chose the latter.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uninvited Guest
What's most inportant to you?

Picture quality? KDS-R60XBR1

Price? KDF-E60A20

Compromise of Price and Quality? KDF-60XS955

I know the styling on the XS & XBR1 seems to be a love it or leave it with many people. If your okay with it. I think it comes down to how much you want to spend and how important the extra resolution of the SXRD chip is to you. I think the XS can be an attractive choice if you can find it at a discount since they have been discontinued. The SXRD will carry a higher price but with it you get bleeding edge technology. I chose the latter.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize that the XBR1 had a better picture than the XS955. I also wasn't aware that the XS955 was discontinued. I was able to find the XS955 online for a little under 3k.

It sounds like I should wait for the XBR1. I wonder if it would be smarter to go with proven technology, instead of bleeding edge?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, I just got my 60xs last week and couldn't be more pleased! I have a friend who owns a brick and mortar electronics store,so I was able to get a deal as good as any I could find online. I read alot here, looked at alot of different sets,but thought the xs looked best to me. I currently have a cheaper ($150) Sony dvd player hooked up to it with some really nice component cables and it is stunning! Today the DTV HD box is getting installed,so I am expecting good things from that. I think all the sets you are looking at are nice,it just depends on what your eyes like the best-sources being equal. Have fun making your choice=)

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Hello-

Sony KDF-E60A20

Sony KDF-60XS955

Sony KDS-R60XBR1

Thanks.
None of the above. Listen to Uninvited Guest.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55
Yeah, I guess if money is no object...go somewhere where you can view an xs and a qualia next to each other and see if that "difference" is worth the extra cash to YOU. Bleeding edge technology is rather useless unless EVERY component you hook to the set is also "bleeding edge". Keep that in mind when spending your cash.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55
Um...I must be slow...I'm just not getting it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteel
Yeah, I guess if money is no object...go somewhere where you can view an xs and a qualia next to each other and see if that "difference" is worth the extra cash to YOU. Bleeding edge technology is rather useless unless EVERY component you hook to the set is also "bleeding edge". Keep that in mind when spending your cash.
Mr. Steel-

Thanks for the reply. I'm not quite sure what a "qualia" is (ducks and runs for cover). The way that I picked the XS (since I was having trouble with Sony products) was simple.

I went to a local brick and mortar store, and looked at all of the TVs from a distance where I couldn't tell brand/type, etc. I went to the one that had the best picture. It was the Sony XS. Maybe that's not the right way to do it, but it was a starting point for me. YMMV

Thanks again.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Hi, I just got my 60xs last week and couldn't be more pleased! I have a friend who owns a brick and mortar electronics store,so I was able to get a deal as good as any I could find online. I read alot here, looked at alot of different sets,but thought the xs looked best to me. I currently have a cheaper ($150) Sony dvd player hooked up to it with some really nice component cables and it is stunning! Today the DTV HD box is getting installed,so I am expecting good things from that. I think all the sets you are looking at are nice,it just depends on what your eyes like the best-sources being equal. Have fun making your choice=)
Mr. Steel-

Glad to hear that you like the XS. I have an even cheaper Sony DVD progressive player ($125) that I plan on using.

I know that HD will look outstanding, but how does your set look with SD input? Did you wind up getting an HD DTivo? If so, how do the SD broadcasts look on the XS? That is one of my main concerns, since there isn't a whole lot of HD programming out now, and I'll probably be using the set 60%-75% of the time for SD broadcasts.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Mr. Steel-

Thanks for the reply. I'm not quite sure what a "qualia" is (ducks and runs for cover). The way that I picked the XS (since I was having trouble with Sony products) was simple.

I went to a local brick and mortar store, and looked at all of the TVs from a distance where I couldn't tell brand/type, etc. I went to the one that had the best picture. It was the Sony XS. Maybe that's not the right way to do it, but it was a starting point for me. YMMV

Thanks again.
I you aren't familar with the KDS-R60XBR1 here's a link to it on Crutchfield's website: Link

Here's a review of the $13,000 70" Sony Qualia that uses SXRD technology similar to the KDS-R60XBR1: Link

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uninvited Guest
I you aren't familar with the KDS-R60XBR1 here's a link to it on Crutchfield's website: Link

Here's a review of the $13,000 70" Sony Qualia that uses SXRD technology similar to the KDS-R60XBR1: Link
Uninvited Guest-

Thanks for the links. That 70" Qualia sounds like a really nice set...for HD broadcasts. I might end up taking a harder look at the XS.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Mr. Steel-

Glad to hear that you like the XS. I have an even cheaper Sony DVD progressive player ($125) that I plan on using.

I know that HD will look outstanding, but how does your set look with SD input? Did you wind up getting an HD DTivo? If so, how do the SD broadcasts look on the XS? That is one of my main concerns, since there isn't a whole lot of HD programming out now, and I'll probably be using the set 60%-75% of the time for SD broadcasts.

Thanks again.
To be perfectly honest, SD is OK. I don't want to pretend that it is out of this world,but it is far from terrible if that is any help=) I have the standard H10 HD box from DirectTV and I have that hooked up through HDMI. I have the 60" XS and I sit about 12 feet from it. I have noticed that a little farther back makes SD look even better,but I feel I'm in perfect position for HD.

I guess I bought the set to watch HDTV,Sunday Ticket HD,DVD,and hopefully the new console systems that are coming out. I knew from looking at a LOT of TVs on HD and SD that I would still watch most of my SD on the ol 36" Grand Wega upstairs as it still has great picture. I think if you plan on using any of these sets for mostly SD,you might end up with a little buyers remorse. It sucks that there isn't more channels in HD,but I bought my set with high hopes,and I subscribe to all the HD that is offered now. I know this is a tough decision for you because I just went through this process over the last year and I wanted to make sure I got the best I could get for what I had to spend. You have to trust your own eyes and what looks best to you. I have no regrets so far in getting the XS,in fact I love it, but I knew going in that I would not be watching much SD on it,so check out as much SD programming on the sets you like to be sure your going to be happy with whatever you bring home. If you have any other questions about my set I will be happy to answer them,as I learned alot about them from reading the posts of many good folks on this board. Have fun shopping=)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
To be perfectly honest, SD is OK. I don't want to pretend that it is out of this world,but it is far from terrible if that is any help=) I have the standard H10 HD box from DirectTV and I have that hooked up through HDMI. I have the 60" XS and I sit about 12 feet from it. I have noticed that a little farther back makes SD look even better,but I feel I'm in perfect position for HD.

I guess I bought the set to watch HDTV,Sunday Ticket HD,DVD,and hopefully the new console systems that are coming out. I knew from looking at a LOT of TVs on HD and SD that I would still watch most of my SD on the ol 36" Grand Wega upstairs as it still has great picture. I think if you plan on using any of these sets for mostly SD,you might end up with a little buyers remorse. It sucks that there isn't more channels in HD,but I bought my set with high hopes,and I subscribe to all the HD that is offered now. I know this is a tough decision for you because I just went through this process over the last year and I wanted to make sure I got the best I could get for what I had to spend. You have to trust your own eyes and what looks best to you. I have no regrets so far in getting the XS,in fact I love it, but I knew going in that I would not be watching much SD on it,so check out as much SD programming on the sets you like to be sure your going to be happy with whatever you bring home. If you have any other questions about my set I will be happy to answer them,as I learned alot about them from reading the posts of many good folks on this board. Have fun shopping=)
MrSteel-

Thanks for your candor. I did have a bit of "buyer's remorse" when I bought the 61" set that we have now. We moved the old 32" Sony upstairs into the bedroom, and sometimes, I thought that it had a better picture than the new 61" that we replaced it with. I have heard that once you watch HD, SD is a waste of time, but like I said, most of the stuff that we watch now is in SD.

My viewing distance will be right around 10 feet, so I may have to look at the 55" version of the XS, as that is what my budget can afford at the moment. I am going to see if I can get one of the brick and mortar stores to show me the XS with a SD feed, just so I can see how it looks. I have heard others state that you can make adjustments that would make the picture better. If I could get the XS adjusted so that SD looks at least as good as what it does now on the 61" RPTV, I would go ahead and take the plunge.

Thanks again for your help. One last question, while I think about it. When viewing SD, I understand that you can have the black/grey "bars" on the left and right hand sides of the picture. While in this mode, how big is the viewable area of the screen? I ask this because when I watch a DVD on my 61" RPTV, the bars show up on the top and bottom of the picture, and I end up with a 23" x 48" viewable area.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16,691 Posts
I didn't see any other manufactures listed here. :confused:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce
I didn't see any other manufactures listed here. :confused:
Would you like to make a suggestion?

·
Registered
11 Posts
One thing about this set is that is does the whole stretch/zoom thing on 4:3 programming VERY well. As far as the bars on the sides, I will measure if you want,but they are not really bothersome and the picture still is huge:). I think my set is set to 16:9 full mode,so it automatically stretches or zooms to fill the screen when I change channels. I have gotten quite used to it and I don't notice things seeming really wide or disproportionate (sp)? So in my mind,that part of SD is great.

·
Registered
16,691 Posts
Quote:
Would you like to make a suggestion?
JVC, Panasonic, Mits, Samsung, Hitachi & Toshiba.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce
JVC, Panasonic, Mits, Samsung, Hitachi & Toshiba.
Um...yeah...those are the other major manufacturers...

Is there one in particular that you would recommend looking at in addition to the Sony models?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
One thing about this set is that is does the whole stretch/zoom thing on 4:3 programming VERY well. As far as the bars on the sides, I will measure if you want,but they are not really bothersome and the picture still is huge:). I think my set is set to 16:9 full mode,so it automatically stretches or zooms to fill the screen when I change channels. I have gotten quite used to it and I don't notice things seeming really wide or disproportionate (sp)? So in my mind,that part of SD is great.
MrSteel-

When you are watching a SD broadcast, and the set either stretches or zooms the image, do you lose information at the top and bottom of the picture?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
MrSteel-

When you are watching a SD broadcast, and the set either stretches or zooms the image, do you lose information at the top and bottom of the picture?

Thanks.
Nope, you get full screen. Another thing I found before I bought my set is that if you go to sony's website you can actually view the whole owners manual for any set in PDF format and it explains more about the whole screen mode option/solutions issue.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.