Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST30?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new TV. My Samsung LN52A750 was stolen when my house was robbed a couple of weeks ago. I am new and have learned a lot from this forum but need help on the decision. What is the best TV I can get for around $1,800? I think I have narrowed my choices down to a Panny or Sammy plasma. In particular, the Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST30 or the Samsung PN59D8000.

As I am thinking about switching from LCD to plasma, I want to make sure that the plasma will work well with gaming (I have read these threads). Would both the above TVs be ok with gaming? Would the Panny be better? Games like Black Ops, COD, etc. I actually am a fan of 3D, (I think I'm the only one). Panny be better in this case also?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
i went from an lcd to a plasma. I got the tcp50gt25. I like the tv very much more so then the lcd. better black on black. I do play some vidoegames. but not that much. its been suggested to wait to play games after the first 100 hours or so. there is an image intention stroller on the panasonic that helps out. I would recommend the plasma for 3d over the samsung. feel free to ask some questions.

Jacob

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I went from a Samsung 40A630 to a Panasonic 55ST30 and gaming is much better on the Panny. I didn't play games for the first 100 hours but I don't know if that was necessary (I don't play many video games anyway so it wasn't a challenge). I love the ST30 and play more games now than I did when I had an LCD. The games look so much better and of course the screen being 15 inchs bigger doesn't hurt. Not sure which set you should get as I haven't used a D8000. My brother just got the 59D8000 and he loves it. I had the 55 so he had to top me. He lives in a different state so I haven't gotten to check it out yet. Home Theater Magazine reviewed all 3 Panasonics (ST, GT, and VT) and said it was difficult to tell them apart. The reviewer said the only obvious difference was the VT 30 had better blacks than the ST/GT so the ST is no slouch. Really you could just flip a coin as both TVs are awesome. If they were the same price I might look at the Samsung just so I could say I have the top of the line model.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Your poll says 60ST30, and your comment says 60GT30.

If you have Panasonic EPP and the 60ST30 is an option, you can get it for a few hundred below your target price with a free blu-ray player.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Typically it is only provided through your work place. However, there are certain ways to become a EPP member online...I joined by being a Borders Rewards member 3 or 4 years ago and it gave me access (no longer available). I believe EPP pricing can also be accessed through MasterCard MarketPlace . Unfortunately, finding a way to join EPP will be up to you.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I'm sorry, but a poll like this is silly. Ask for advice or information on the sets, read up on the sets in which you are interested, and make what choice you think is best. But, in the context of this thread -- where you are looking at two sets of high quality with very similar features -- relying on a small random sampling of opinions of people you don't know to make your decision for you is not much better than flipping a coin.

No offense, but that's my $.02. Hey that rhymes!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are right my brother, but I already did the reading and was hung up between the two. I was just hoping for some input. I did post some questions about advice in my initial post.

Thanks to tfolz, I found that I can save about $300 and get a free bluray player. So, unless there are some other issues with the Panny that I am not aware about when it comes to gaming or 3D that someone may post here, I got the info I was looking for to make a decision.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
There is an issue that you should know about called fluctuating brightness that Panasonic is now fixing on all 2011 3D plasma panels. Read the owner thread of this forum, or go to Google and do a search for "2011 Panasonic Fluctuating Brightness Master Discussion Thread". That thread has an extensive discussion of the matter. I own the 65ST30 and will be receiving the fix on Thursday. Once it is complete, the TV will be perfect. The TV you receive may already have the fix, and if not, it is easy to obtain it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz /forum/post/20804638

There is an issue that you should know about called fluctuating brightness that Panasonic is now fixing on all 2011 3D plasma panels. Read the owner thread of this forum, or go to Google and do a search for "2011 Panasonic Fluctuating Brightness Master Discussion Thread". That thread has an extensive discussion of the matter. I own the 65ST30 and will be receiving the fix on Thursday. Once it is complete, the TV will be perfect. The TV you receive may already have the fix, and if not, it is easy to obtain it.

Is THX mode worth the extra $300?

·
Registered
6,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordfinder /forum/post/0

Is THX mode worth the extra $300?

No. My advice. Get the D8000. It's waaaaaaay better then the st30. If these are your only two options then I honestly see this as hands down. No contest. D8000. The picture will blow your freakin mind!

·
Registered
198 Posts
In terms of quality, its kind of an unfair comparison. The Samsung PN59D8000 is their flagship model and best plasma they make. The Panasonic 60ST30 is the 3rd best plasma they make. Its kind of like comparing a Lincoln to a Pontiac.

This poll would make more sense if it was the Samsung PN59D8000 vs the Panasonic 55VT30. I'd take the Panny if this were the poll. If its the ST30 model id pick the Samsung.

My take!

Mike

·
Registered
6,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnel /forum/post/0

In terms of quality, its kind of an unfair comparison. The Samsung PN59D8000 is their flagship model and best plasma they make. The Panasonic 60ST30 is the 3rd best plasma they make. Its kind of like comparing a Lincoln to a Pontiac.

This poll would make more sense if it was the Samsung PN59D8000 vs the Panasonic 55VT30. I'd take the Panny if this were the poll. If its the ST30 model id pick the Samsung.

My take!

Mike

Yup. If it were a VT set he was asking about THEN it would be a hard choice. But this thread? Super easy choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnel /forum/post/20804733

My take!

Mike

yeah, I meant the 2nd tier Panny, the GT, after reviewing their site again. :/ They dont make a 60" VT, or I would consider that. So it was between the Panasonic VIERA TC-P60GT30 and the Samsung PN59D8000. Both I can get for around $1800. The ST I can get for about $300 cheaper so I am also wondering if the THX mode is worth the $300 jump.

To confuse me even more, are there any better models around $1800 I could consider?

·
Registered
6,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordfinder /forum/post/0

yeah, I meant the 2nd tier Panny, the GT, after reviewing their site again. :/ They dont make a 60" VT, or I would consider that. So it was between the Panasonic VIERA TC-P60GT30 and the Samsung PN59D8000. Both I can get for around $1800. The ST I can get for about $300 cheaper so I am also wondering if the THX mode is worth the $300 jump.

To confuse me even more, are their any better models around $1800 I could consider?

For $1800? No

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Ultimately you have to decide how much you want to spend and which model you are happy with. I will only tell you that the deal on the 60ST30 through Panasonic EPP is extremely great at the moment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.