AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a set of HD144 lenses to put on my BG 808. When I got there to pick them up he asked me if I wanted the projector that they came off of . Of course I said yes and brought home a nice little XG 75 that needed one new blue tube , the neck had gotten broken in shipping. Now the problem I have is should I use the lenses on my Barco , it, with decent tubes but a nagging streaking problem , or should I throw a new tube in the NEC and sell the BG808 to pay for it , and use the XG ???

Any thoughts??

Regards

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
sounds like great problem to have :) I have never owned iether of those, but the question is are you willing to become and NEC guy and deal with all the hassles to get a better picture? Posting that question here will just yield an even split among forum members, it's really an individual choice. If I had a streaky Barco, I would go for the NEC myslef and just try not to smash it during the learning process. :)

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
for me, would depend on how much money and work is involved in getting the NEC up to snuff - if both were already working fine, I would flog the Barco in a heartbeat. I switched from a Barco to a PGx - other than my nearly continuous bitching and whining for the first 3 or 4 monthes, it has been great. I wouldn't want to go back - tho I would take a Cine 9 if one ended up on my door step. ;) Heck - I was highly tempted by Cliff's PG10, but my 9 looks so good, I just couldn't pull the trigger.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys , I was thinking to flog the Barco with the upgraded lenses and keep the XG 75 for parts and look for a XG LC . That would be worth the trouble .

What do you think?

I know it's a steep learning curve with the NEC but I love to tinker .

Regards

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
As your 808 is so well set up, I wouldn't bother changing brands..

Look for that 9" LC that you want and if it happens to be an NEC, only then take on the NEC challenge..

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know my 808 looks pretty good , and when I put the HD144s on, it will look even better. Now if we can get some word from Mike Parker about the streaking fix , we would all have better looking projectors :rolleyes: .

You have seen my room John do you really think I could get a 9inch in there? You know how it is when you get the upgrade bug , especially after I saw you 1292.

Regards

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats good James , can you give me a hand, we can duct tape the XG under the Barco LOL

Regards

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tully
I know my 808 looks pretty good , and when I put the HD144s on, it will look even better. Now if we can get some word from Mike Parker about the streaking fix , we would all have better looking projectors :rolleyes: .
If you get a Barco or NEC 9", then I assume your streaking is gone..

Are the 1209's also prone to streaking?

Quote:
You have seen my room John do you really think I could get a 9inch in there? You know how it is when you get the upgrade bug , especially after I saw you 1292.
absolutely....unistrut is so ideal for CRT's - we installed a 1292 in a friend's basement using only unistrut bolted into the floor joists and it was fine..in your case you could attach the unistrut to your existing mounting beam if you have to move the CRT back..

I had to do some extensive modifications to my ceiling in order to accomodate the wider Torus..bit of a hassle - but my, really worth it..

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks John, would a unistrut take away from my headroom?

Regards

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Unistrut is about 3.25" total in depth (1-5/8" on ceiling and same on CRT)

Unistrut is less than when I was using a Barco mount with the former 808..so if you are presently using a Barco mount you should actually gain a bit here with unistrut..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.